No FB integration in iOS 5 Because Jobs Thinks Zuckerberg is a F...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by RawBert, Aug 22, 2011.

1. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

This is pretty funny. :) Thought I'd share...

The same story on Business Insider says "An Apple Employee" said those things.

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I doubt you'll find many here complaining.

Yes, there are wars going on between companies, and therein little wars between CEOs.

3. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I guess Jobs should know. It takes one to know one.

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Why should any "social" media be integrated into the OS anyhow ? Worthless feature.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe it's not intergrated because not everyone gives a **** about FB and Apple isn't trying to appeal to just teenagers on FB.

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Then why twitter ? Not everyone gives a **** about Twitter.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sadly I do not see teenagers jumping for joy on facebook as much. Facebook kind of died when parents started to join.

Honestly the deep twitter integration in to iOS I am not to sure about. It means my mother might join. Hell honestly Apple integrations in iOS 4 and down with any network is crap. Android and blackberry work with the networks a hell of a lot better since it just brings up a list of programs that can do a given task. Upload/share a photo on my android phone I get choice of Google+, twitter, Facebook, dropbox, email SMS ect. I do not have to go about some round about way to upload the stuff.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ in that respect you're right. I love my Droid and that when I snap a pic it asks me where I want to share it to (if I hit share). I have choices from evernote to twitter to dropbox to any of the text message apps I have installed. It's nice.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I thought facebook integration was pointless, too. But once I started using it on my WP7, its simply fantastic how my phone can pull all sorts of data off Facebook - address book pictures, addresses, even significant others. If I was in Apple's shoes, with Microsoft about to go BOOM in the mobile space, and Android nipping at its heals, I would invest millions into getting facebook integration into iOS 5.

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

We are in the post Facebook era. Uncle Steve said Twitter is where it's at.

11. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

12. acurafan macrumors 6502a

haha, so true. reading job's outlandishly childish iphone replies you'd know who's the bigger ******.

13. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

Good. Facebook is losing it's appeal to quite a few people. Why bother integrating something into iOS that will probably become the next MySpace?

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Facebook is living on borrowed time and Apple knows it

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't use Twitter, facebook, etc.

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

And once again, Apple omits something millions of people use because of the arrogance of Mr. Jobs.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Facebook is far from over. It's the most used social networking site on the planet. Twitter (as far as I know) doesn't offer the same Functionality as Facebook does. That's not to say twitter is worse, it's just not the 'next Facebook'.

As it stands I have 2 friends with twitter accounts (that they use). Not 2 of my Facebook friends, 2 friends in total. I've tried getting my friends into twitter, but they don't like it.

Twitter may be the upcoming thing, but that doesn't mean Facebook is going anywhere.

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Job's assessment of Zuck seems logical to me. :D

I've joined (and since left) Facebook twice and found it more annoying than useful, especially with the "game" invites.

As for OS integration, I prefer the way Android does it with the third party apps I choose to install integrating with the OS (Twitter/Last.fm links to my contacts, the ability to share pictures/videos directly from the gallery to third party services via the "share" function).

It'd be nice if Apple emulated that kind of integration with some more developer Api's instead of baking things you may not use into the OS.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

If I must have social integration, I'd sooner have Facebook than Twitter, however, all in all it is a pointless feature.

20. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I still believe that Safari is enough for FB or Twitter Integration; not much more needed. Yes; there are functions not working but I also don't want anything working.
    The browser gives be (right now) a bit more "distance" between my address book and FB. Paranoid ? Yes, a bit.

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

They should simply make a Social Media integration framework. Something completely generic that you could then implement as an "app". Install the facebook app ? It installs the Facebook integration (Address Book can now get contacts from it, Photos can share pictures to Facebook or display Facebook albums on your phone, etc.. etc...).

That's the proper way of making software. The twitter thing they are doing is a useless feature. I don't use either Twitter or Facebook, I don't need to see this stuff plastered all over the OS. With a simple integration framework that is generic enough, then every social media provider can provide the integration to their users only.

Best of both worlds.

22. kolax macrumors G3

Only Facebook integration I want is:

- Search Facebook contacts from within the Address Book (but you can just view contacts you have stored on your phone if you wish)
    - Ability to share a photo or video to Facebook directly from within the Camera/Photo app (i.e. iPhoto ability)
    - Improved notifications (iOS 5 notifications but with advancements for Facebook)
    - Apple to kick the iOS Facebook developer in the arse because his coding sucks.

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That how ALL CEO's appears. Welcome to Corporate America. Look up, you see nothing but ---holes; look down, you see nothing but sh...

[​IMG]

24. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

What you have described is essentially how Android handles these types of integrations. When you install the app then the option to share to it is placed in the menus. If you remove the app, it removes the option. The only downside to this approach is that depending on how many apps you download, your menus can get fairly overloaded and obnoxious.

I would also say that just because you don't use something doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the OS. I don't think one more button in the sharing menu is really going to be the end of you as a user.

25. shingi70 macrumors regular

I would give Facebook at least another two years until it goes the way of facebook and something else takes it's place. Twitter By its very nature of being a mirco blog and used by more than just social media could be the one to jump the curve and not dye off.