No flaming: What do you guys think about this Lenovo 17" beauty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cyberone, Jul 6, 2010.

1. cyberone macrumors regular

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

It looks resectable to me. I would have one if I needed windows. Great scores and speeds, a little heavy but no OS X is a deal killer for me.

3. bbnck macrumors 6502

I absolutely love Lenovo notebooks because of its classic build quality and looks and classic keyboard and trackpad. Lots of manufacturers (Apple excluded) make awful keyboards and trackpads and consider even the trackpad texture, size and sensitivity as an afterthought. At one time I was considering getting a Lenovo notebook because of the fact most of their laptops have a classic keyboard and trackpad unlike a lot of other manufacturers that make cramped flat keyboards with glossy/friction-prone coated trackpads.

4. telejeff macrumors newbie

Looks neat, but not for me. 17" too big. Also, don't like numpads on laptops as it makes things more cramped and places the trackpad to the left.

Other than that, Lenovo makes my favorite Windows/Linux laptop. The thinkpad has been a long time favorite of mine. I love the T series. Well built, lots of features, and cheaper than a MBP. Unfortunately, thinkpads are more expensive than the competition, but you do get what you pay for.

A lot of my IT-friends have spec'd their firms with think pads for years. Unfortunately, since lenovo bought the think pad line from IBM the service has weakened and cost has gone up. Obviously, that can greatly depend on the firms location and size. Many of gone with Dell because of their speedy service and overall cost is lower.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You seriously started what amounts to little more than a "Let's get into a debate about specs between this Windows machine and every portable Mac" and don't expect flaming? Uh...:confused::confused:

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why do they go out of their way to make their machines look like something from Toys R Us?

7. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

If what you are looking for is max power, that looks like a good one. Personally, I wouldn't want to carry a 4-kg laptop, nor will I ever again buy a laptop running Windows. But that's me. :)

8. Yiako macrumors newbie

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Whats with the multiple touch pads?

Seems kind of busy to me.

One thing to keep in mind is, can you live with windows. OSX is great and offers a lot that windows doesn't. I think the sleek design of the a MBP coupled with the great design of OSX really makes MacBook Pros a winner.

10. Dyango macrumors member

Personally, if I had to work on it, and needed the most pro machine I could get -taking in consideration computing power- I would probably go for it.

Nevertheless, as my needs point to the "student's way of life" and for me a laptop is also an entertainment personal machine, I would never get something as bad looking -in my opinion, ofc- as a Lenovo, which is pure function over form =p I'd want a good laptop, but I would also want something that I'd enjoy looking at while using it -or even while not in use-.

Portability is a deal breaker too to be honest.

11. sadcamper macrumors regular

I have a nostalgic softspot for the look of Thinkpads, but they still don't stack up design-wise with the MBP's. Specs are awesome though...I wouldn't say no to a free one!

12. autacraft Guest

playing devils advocate, I'd suggest that for the price of the lenevo, you could get a core i7 15" MPB, 8gb ram, a 500gb 7200 rpm drive, plus replace the superdrive with a 250gb SSd as a boot disk - AND have cash left over for a 24" ACD!

I reckon that would fall into the same price bracket, plus the track pad on the new MBPs - theres software now making it function like a mini wacom tablet!

All in all, with OSX being the main selling point for any computer I'd buy, I think Id still stick with the macs

13. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

14. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

too much money for excess power that I would never take full advantage of =(

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I still don't understand the fascination with lenovo's / ibm thinkpads. Complete trash in my opinion. I've never seen one that doesn't have something broken on it.

Not to mention the design team for them is obviously blind.

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

...I would just get a desktop. It is enormous, has no battery life, and really heavy. Kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop eh? You could get a desktop with more power and a decent size screen that you don't have to squint at for far less money. On the flipside, it is impressive to have that kind of power in a semi-portable machine.

17. bt22 macrumors 6502

ugly ass computer... looks like it is from the 1980's... or as earlier posted from Toys R Us...

18. Gomff macrumors 6502a

19. unamused macrumors 6502

agreed... 15" is about the breaking point for portability unless its stupid light...

I have a softspot in my heart for thinkpads and this beast is probably awesome...

Simply put, thinkpads and Macbooks are made for different purposes and have different strengths and weaknesses.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

One question comes to mind is, why are you asking mac users about a non-mac product in a mac forum..? :confused:

I'm not trying to be an a#S or anything but I think you should post this in a Lenovo forum and ask the people who already own this product what they think thus far.

As for the too big argument, for me personally I dont mind a 17" or even if they made a 20" notebook. At least its intact and small enough (even though too large to carry around everywhere) but still managable around the house or still on your lap (in bed). Also the battery life doesnt really matter when your hooked up to the power adapter at home. With a desktop you have to be planted in the same spot everytime, with a big notebook, you can move around more freely as it is still compact.

21. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

That thing is futt-ugly. Look at the screen frame - is it made out of legos? Big plastic power hungry brick that I would hate to drag around. I bet the powercord is gigantic too.

^Seriously? Have you used the the unibody glass trackpad. It's perfectly sensitive.

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think the Lenovos build quality was awesome back in the day before the chinese bought them out, but these days, its all plastic.

I remember the T series used to be built like a tank with real metal, but now its mostly plastic (even the T43p series werent as solid as the T40s) and its actually much lighter too.

23. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Would you class the 17" MBP as super light at 2.99kg?

24. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I don't like big portables i have a 15 inch mac book pro and i like the size of it. With that said i'm sure the lenovo is a good portable for those who want a desktop replacement but the piss poor battery life and the weight of it are too much for me.