Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
None of the apps made by google have the icons updated for iOS 7 (flat)

google does not like iOS7?

;)

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
They did update them but they didn't make them exactly flat. They gave them a border on the bottom which makes them a bit 3D, whereas before they were 'flat'.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Could that maybe be because they were already flat?

Does this look like flat to you?

Compare the google icons to the other app icons.

Attachments

• photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    771.3 KB · Views: 597

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
They did update them but they didn't make them exactly flat. They gave them a border on the bottom which makes them a bit 3D, whereas before they were 'flat'.

That border sucks...

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Yes, the do look flat. Slight different from Apple ones (they got that border effect on the bottom) but big deal, hardly noticeable.

They don't.. this border at the bottom make them 3D objects which are not flat..

I hate this boarder too!!!:mad:
But it's Google's design approach so they won't change it in the near future :/

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Yes, the do look flat. Slight different from Apple ones (they got that border effect on the bottom) but big deal, hardly noticeable.

It is very noticeable!

I don't care if they look flat! they don't use the iOS 7 flat design!

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
I think their icons are "flat" in a tasteful way, unlike most of Apple's icons that are "too flat" and appear childish.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I think their icons are "flat" in a tasteful way, unlike most of Apple's icons that are "too flat" and appear childish.

iOS7 icons "appear childish"? I don't think so...

Everyone have different perceptions and see the things as they are not as the things are...

I am just saying that the google apps should use the the iOS 7 flat design and simplicity.

simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS7 icons "appear childish"? I don't think so...

Everyone have different perceptions and see the things as they are not as the things are...

I am just saying that the google apps should use the the iOS 7 flat design and simplicity.

simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ;)
There's also oversimplification which doesn't make things more sophisticated and generally moves that needle in the opposite direction by quite a bit.

But yes to each his/her own (which includes Google using whatever icons and design they deem as being nice for themselves given that the apps are theirs after all and would have their touches).

attila

macrumors 6502a
According to 'flat design' trends - the Google icons are, indeed, 'flat', and have been since before iOS7.

In my opinion, it's a better style Apple's. Subtle icons, with a subtle thickness and subtle gradient, yet tangible. Buttons should "look so good you'll want to lick them*".

* Steve Jobs

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Oh good god. It's gotten to the point where every single subject around here is seen as an "opinion." Some things are just yes-no questions.

This is a simple question. Is it flat or 3D?

It has a beveled edge:
edge.jpg

That makes it 3D. This is a simple fact, not something where people get to argue their feelings.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Oh good god. It's gotten to the point where every single subject around here is seen as an "opinion." Some things are just yes-no questions.

It has a beveled edge:

That makes it 3D. This is a simple fact, not something where people get to argue their feelings.

Is it really? And how many dimensions you see there, may I ask?

On the other hand, this is...

Attachments

• 6a0120a5580826970c0192ac4ef070970d.jpg
    6a0120a5580826970c0192ac4ef070970d.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 783

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
An icon consists of its basic shape and its contents. The google icon shapes are 3D because they have been designed to look like they're tilted up slightly, revealing the underside. Their content can be a symbol, text or some kind of image, all of which can be 2D or 3D.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I do not usually say this, but, this thread is absurd.

----------

It has a beveled edge:

"This is a simple question. Is it flat or 3D?"

You need a better definition of what flat design is.

flat and 3D are NOT mutually exclusive.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
That's because it is. Its an example of how 3D icon would look.

lol

do you even know about what is this thread?

you give ex. about iOS 6 app icons design!

we are talking about iOS 7 app icons design!!!

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Agreed with the OP. None of these deserve to be on my home screen. I have been crying about this for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.