No G5s until end of August

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Stop your waiting...

I have good information that G5s will not be ready in volume until sometime in August. The machines will be announced at MWNY.

Prepare to purchase a dual-G4 or wait 6 long months for your new G5.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Both?

Yeah... maybe if it was a PC I could afford both! *rib*rib*

But come on, we're talking about Apple's 30% profit margins here...

abe

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
That's what we had to expect....

I think new G4 towers will be announced within the next 2 weeks. Configurations?

Fast:
G4 (Apollo) 1.2 GHz
256 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM
DVD-CDRW

Faster:
G4 (Apollo) 1.4 GHz
256 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM
Superdrive

Fastest:
2x G4 (Apollo) 1.4 GHz
512 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM
Superdrive

All with quicksilver enclosure and GeForce 2MX as standard grafic cards.

New: BTO ATI new grafic cards.

Sounds reasonable to me ...

U

Unregistered

I'm sick of you people making predictions when you have no basis to make them.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
me too...

I'm sick of people "making predictions" by saying that the G5 is around the corner or "any day now" when all indications from Motorola, including information on their Web site, articles in trade journals, etc. indicate that the G5 probably won't even sample until this summer.

Quit disappointing yourself.

End of August is the most reasonable prediction that can be made given the evidence.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: g5 in august

...plus we have a lot to digest with the new imac and cool new 14 inch ibook

speed bumps on the pro stuff will be our next thing and that will be our 1 ghz party

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Everyone has the right to dream, but it is true that many people make predicitions without any basis. I'd love to see G5 next week too, and I'm trying my best not to get my hopes up..

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Uh dude?

We were just coming to the conclusion that Apollo will be out "soon" and G5 is somewhere out there in R&D land. It looks as if the tower line will change for Seybold (Apple reliably ends it's specials within days of a Rev).

Logical conclusion: Apollo G4's may appear at Seybold.

Secondarily: As Apollo is a significantly different chip to current designs in power handling and heat generation, Apple may take the oppertunity for a new Motherboard.

Honestly I think we're maintaining better focus than I've ever seen on a Forum.:p

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
Not a prediction, just an opinion

everyone has the right to dream, agreed. But doesn't it seem just a little bit strange to expect something close to a doubling of the cpu speed with the next speed bump? Seriously, since when has apple, or any chip maker, ever done that? 1.4 GHz DP would be a dream, but just doesn't seem likely to me.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
i think many of us realize that the imac has stut up the critics for awhile since it is a redesign, but whether it sells is up to the consumers

btw, mischief, congrats on passing 400...now you can tell everybody on pacific...they will beat their congos for you and the foot patrol cops will go ape

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
Originally posted by abe
That's what we had to expect....

I think new G4 towers will be announced within the next 2 weeks. Configurations?

Fast:
G4 (Apollo) 1.2 GHz 256 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM
DVD-CDRW
Faster:
G4 (Apollo) 1.4 GHz 256 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM
Superdrive
Fastest:
2x G4 (Apollo) 1.4 GHz 512 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM
Superdrive
And what about prices? Is it much more expensive than right now...?

And finally, Can we trust these configurations or is it just speculation???

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Re: me too...

Originally posted by oldMac
I'm sick of people "making predictions" by saying that the G5 is around the corner or "any day now" when all indications from Motorola, including information on their Web site, articles in trade journals, etc. indicate that the G5 probably won't even sample until this summer.
The G5's have been sampling for several months now. Where do you get your information from? Obviously not the trade journals. G5 is already out, it's just not feature-complete enough for an Apple desktop. :eek:

AndreHAL

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2001
Norway
8540, think it's closely related to the G5?

Motorola MPC8540
Features:

e500 "Book E" Processor 600MHz - 1GHz
256KByte On-chip L2
128Gb/s On-chip Fabric
333MHz DDR Memory Controller
Advanced I/O Ports

RapidIO
64b PCI-X
dual 10/100/Gbit Ethernet
General Purpose parallel I/O port

4-Channel DMA
Interrupt Controller (8 discreet or 16 serial)
DUART Serial Interface
Modular Design

I've heard the G5 is supposed to be a book e processor.....
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8540&nodeId=01M98655

abe

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
samy85114,

These configurations are just what I guess Apple will soon release. Let's see if I was right. You ask about the prices, interesting question. May be the new towers will start where the iMac end, so price may be similar the the actual pro prices:

iMac ... $1799

pro "fast" $ 1699
pro "faster $ 2499
pro "fastest $ 3499

hmmm makes sense ....