No google doodle for Memorial Day?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eggtastic, May 29, 2017.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Maybe I am missing something but if you go to the google homage today, the doodle is normal, and a small flag is at the bottom of the page as their "recognition".

Now, I haven't looked into this, and maybe someone could a valid reason why? Apparently this has been going on for each MD for the past few years.

Not part of their agenda?

2. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Google hates anything that portrays what are generally viewed as conservative ideals positively.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Let me put it this way.

A week or so ago we put up a Memorial Day message where I work. It had a pre-made background that said "Happy Memorial Day".

A veteran came in to tell us (very nicely) that it was a poor choice of words. To vets, it's considered a solemn occasion, not a "happy" one.

A lot of Google's doodles are pretty cutesy. I think for today Google just wanted to keep their recognition classy and low-key.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    Respect for those who sacrificed their lives for our country is not a conservative ideal, it is a bipartisan one.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I've lost family and friends to war.

It is not a happy day.

It's a day to honor and remember those that died for you.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

They have a badge on the homepage, they do it every year.

7. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

While all good answers concerning this being a day of remembrance, I just find it odd they couldn't design a respectful google doodle like the do for MLK day, or yuri kochiyama (who admired extremists such as bin laden).

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

'Memorial Day is a conservative holiday? Do you have any other examples of googling hating on conservative ideals?

9. Zenithal Suspended

Google's been doing a yellow ribbon forever on Memorial Day.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    I'm trying to figure out what a "conservative holiday" is. Is he or she not aware of the Thanksgiving, Veteran's Day, Christmas, et al. holiday doodles?