No guns for pot users.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 1458279, Aug 31, 2016.

1. 1458279 Suspended

Appeals court upholds ban on gun sales to medical marijuana card holders

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/3...-sales-to-medical-marijuana-card-holders.html

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Considering medical privacy laws, how on earth would a gun dealer know whether or not you are a medical marijuana card holder?

This story doesn't say, but I know the answer. The buyer tried to use the card as the government-issued ID required for buying the firearm. :confused:

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Would you feel the same if it was alcohol?

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This makes about as much sense as the FCC refusing to issue amateur radio operator licenses to pot users.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Alcohol effects your body in an entirely different way. Alcohol doesn't make you paranoid. It may make you angry, but not paranoid.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

True but what one causes more damage?

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I much rather see banning gun sales to alcohol users it would be more effective.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Obviously anger does. Those with guns and are angry are more likely to use them. But they will be held accountable for their actions under the law. Those that are 'high' are more likely going to get away with killing someone because 'they didn't know what they were doing'. (I'm a law student so I read about all this nonsense daily)

11. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Local news talked about this issue. There's a box you check with the purchase of a gun, if you lie you lose, if you tell the truth, you don't get the gun. So there is a way to check sooner or later. I wouldn't trust privacy in any way at this point.

Heck, I heard about this person that worked for the government, setup a private email server to handle her yoga routines, and ended up Russia hacked it and stole all her yoga routines.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    It's the slippery slope problem. I'd imagine the Right would agree with some of this, but then the Left would want other things covered.

Bottom line, we can't allow this. Don't know how to stop it, probably lawsuits. Someone will have to get that started.

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Entirely subjective to the user. And alcohol can bring out paranoia and anxiety effects as well, which again is subjective to the user.

Id like to see the info that supports that notion.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If people could be issued a license to get drunk the same way they are licensed to get high then yes, I would feel the same.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You're kidding right? Its a mental disease defense. It happens every single day.

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

So then being a law student you should be able to provide said info or statistics showing that it happens every single day.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Actually, it doesn't work like that. You read cases and cases to understand why courts ruled the way they did. You learn the rule of the case and how that rule can be used in future cases. There are no stats. There are no patterns. Everything is individual.

If you want to see it happen in real time. Go to your county court house and just sit and listen to the cases. It's truly fascinating.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Get a refund from where ever you are going

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah okay, sure. I'm going to listen to some random person on the internet that probably doesn't know what its like to sit in a law school classroom.

19. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

This sounds like a D- on Friday's quiz ...

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Fine. , if you graduate and still think the law works as you described then ask for the refund :D

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its not a matter of thinking thats how the law works, its just how things are.

For example, a case I just read. In the 1970s, a lady was under the influence of unknown drugs. She was driving down the wrong side of the road and was headed into on-comming traffic. She speed up because she believed she "could fly like batman". She ended up crashing into the car and was ejected. She survived, the on-comming driver did not. She was tried for manslaughter and received a not guilty by an insanity defense.

Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

We are not in the 70's and that crap rarely flies. You imply it's the norm

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Where did I say its the norm, I said there are insanity defenses every single day. Did I say they work every single day? I did not.

24. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Then surely you can provide some examples of "mental disease defense" based on marijuana use.
    You did say " Those that are 'high' are more likely going to get away with killing someone because 'they didn't know what they were doing'. "

So yes you did imply that those that make said claim do get away with it more likely then not. For which you still have yet to post a single thing to support said claim.

25. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I've studied law to and argued a few real cases. It's about lawyers hiding and distorting everything, knowing which judge is which and tripping up the other side any way you can. When I studied and when I argued, it was a world of difference.

I can't say about intent about criminal law, my area was business law. It seems that "intoxication" could have an effect because it goes to future actions and being in control. However, I'm no expert on that area of the law.