Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
That's really too bad. I've wanted to upgrade my g4 400. But's its not worth it if it never gets above dual 500.

Dude, when the G5's hit the market, go for it and don't look back. You won't miss your G4 400 at all. (I'm in the same boat.)

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Why is everyone complaining about their G4 400? I wish I had a G4...or a G3 for that matter. everyone is so caught up in the G4 400 being out of date while I'm stuck with my 603e. Man, I'm waitingfor somethign bigger and better cause I just want a faster bus. Thats all I ask, then I buy. its taken me a while to save the money for a new computer and I want something new and fast. I know its around the corner.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by teabgs
Why is everyone complaining about their G4 400? I wish I had a G4...or a G3 for that matter. everyone is so caught up in the G4 400 being out of date while I'm stuck with my 603e. Man, I'm waitingfor somethign bigger and better cause I just want a faster bus. Thats all I ask, then I buy. its taken me a while to save the money for a new computer and I want something new and fast. I know its around the corner.

It is really all relative to what you do with your machine. I REALLY need something faster for VPC.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I need my new machine for FCP, Photoshop, and MAYA mostly. SO I do actually need the speed and all...

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by teabgs
I need my new machine for FCP, Photoshop, and MAYA mostly. SO I do actually need the speed and all...

Jesus, I would die if I had to use those products on a G3 or less.... as it is I get pissed off with speed using Photoshop sometimes, VPC ALL the time even with 896MB RAM and Bryce ALL the time.... esp. if I want to do a long animation.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

It is really all relative to what you do with your machine. I REALLY need something faster for VPC.

Since you can get a PC & a KVM for about the caost of an upgrade card, why don't you get a PC & a KVM?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Nipsy

Since you can get a PC & a KVM for about the caost of an upgrade card, why don't you get a PC & a KVM?

Well, I am not actually into upgrade cards thought I can see how you would have thought that was what I was getting at. I am gonna hang out for machines that get talked about on well over 1/3 of threads here now (DDR and such) and then I will buy a new Mac which will DEFINATELY be fast enough for me..... at least until the apps I use get too powerful again

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
The reason I don't upgrade or buy a PC...well, PC is obvious and the upgrade is because I can use the computers at work most of the time when I want to even if I'm not currently on the clock. So I use Maya on the SGI's and FCP on the G4's and don't use my computer for much more then writing, internet, and light photoshop work. I do some audio work on it, but I can't run great audio software on it.

I'm ready to buy a new Mac and if they just update the bus on the dual1GHZ that'd be great for me. It was the only thing holding me back on that purchase.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
I agree.. the current bus totally sucks.. Have any of you ever noticed the atrociously poor performance transfering files between two Macs over FireWire (target disk mode on one of them)? It's like <2 MB per second.. This is absolutely abominable and unforgivable.. Sure, FireWire is like 400 Mb/s, but we aren't even seeing close to a tenth that speed utilized.. what gives? Is this truly because of the bus being so slow? There won't be any point to having FireWire B when the bus can't even keep up with FireWire A! I don't even think that 266 would be adequate..

Then again, we've heard about 400 MHz or higher on the new bus with HyperTransport on the G5s.. MacWorld Tokyo? We can always hope! Steve.. pull another rabbit out of the hat!! Please! I don't blame Apple for this, it is Motorola's fault for making the G4s with a maximum bus speed of 133 MHz.. The G5 had better be a major correction in this area!

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Ok, I hear y'all talking about how your g-whatever isn't fast enough for what you do, and how you're waiting for the next big speed bump.

Well, here I am with my Windows 98, Compaq running at about 400 or 500 MHz, and I'm also waiting for the newest fastest mac so that when I jump ship from the PC world, I can have a really good Mac.

The only difference between all you people wanting speed and me is, that I will probably never do any significant photo editing or video production. I'm an attorney, and the most I'll use my mac for is probably listening to music, storing digital photos, email, word processing, and maybe a few other things. But, damnit, I need more speed than the current G4's are offering!

Perspective is a funny thing.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by mcrain
...The only difference between all you people wanting speed and me is, that I will probably never do any significant photo editing or video production. I'm an attorney, and the most I'll use my mac for is probably listening to music, storing digital photos, email, word processing, and maybe a few other things. But, damnit, I need more speed than the current G4's are offering!

Why?

The only thing my G4/400 upgraded Blue & White needs more speed for is Final Cut Pro. (And it really doesn't NEED more speed, FCP 2 runs great, but I want FCP 3 so I don't have to reboot into OS 9 all the time. The RT stuff would be cool to have too)

But for everything else I do, which includes Java/JSP development, iTunes, WWW, Quicken, iPhoto, Photoshop (in classic) it is just fine.

A faster bus will not be that noticable for the things you've listed. A used G4/400 running OS X would give you the same or better (but more stable) user experience as your current 500 Mhz on Win98. I use a Dell 700Mhz laptop with Win2K at work and my G4/400 runs circles arround it. (Disclaimer: the laptop has only 256MB RAM and my mac has 768MB)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
...addendum to my last post:

I do have to say that Quicken 2002 is a dog on my G4/400 under OS X. I don't know why either, except that it must be coded badly. As a developer, my hypothesis is that it is a very old code-base that has been band-aid'ed over and over and is in dire need of some serious optimization or, even better, a re-write.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Speed!

Eric, buddy, you have to ask why?

If I'm going to buy a new computer, I am going to over purchase. I'm a tech-o-holic. A junkie. I dont' want a used old slow mac that half the people on these boards will offload, I want a new machine.

It's sort of like why I'll buy a porsche before a VW, or why I have an HD instead of a scooter.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Need for speed

Hehe - I hear ya.

My buddy just got a new top-o-the-line PowerBook and an iPod and I've got envy inch going real strong now too.

I'll probably be picking up a new tower this summer, but I don't NEED the speed either. I think we both suffer from whay my wife ofter refers to: a missunderstanding of the difference between NEED and WANT. ;)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Oh I don't misunderstand the difference between need and want, I just don't care. I want something, therefore I need it. Muhaaahaaaa!

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
More power needed

I want more processing power so that OS X doesnt crawl around like a depressed housewife on Valium.

Give me a G5 and send her to the Betty Ford Clinic.

Soon.

mstur

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2001
G3 has still some time left

Originally posted by Hemingray

Dude, when the G5's hit the market, go for it and don't look back. You won't miss your G4 400 at all. (I'm in the same boat.)

Correct. And in the meantime: get enough RAM, get a faster, 7200 rpm HDD and maybe an UltraATA 66 controller, if you have a beige or Tupperware G3 ;-)

Also a nice and fast ATI RADEON or NVidia Gforce Videocard will make you Mac much faster !!!

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I do a lot of video, and My G4 533 does damn good on them, but I wouldn't mind a Dual 800 Upgrade, Final Cut Pro 3 would really chew up rendering times then.....I also do a lot of 3d work too so the speed is a big issue for me. I do a lot of low budget stuff for local film fests and classes and stuff, and i focus a lot on spfx so a tasty upgrade for my G4 would be nice......Since its got a 133 buss and all that its not worth it for me to buy a new machine, unless i see some 200-400 mhz busses and DDR I'll stick with this and hope a nice upgrade comes along

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Speed!

Originally posted by mcrain
Eric, buddy, you have to ask why?

If I'm going to buy a new computer, I am going to over purchase. I'm a tech-o-holic. A junkie. I dont' want a used old slow mac that half the people on these boards will offload, I want a new machine.

It's sort of like why I'll buy a porsche before a VW, or why I have an HD instead of a scooter.

i had to become a techie and make money as a techie to justify being a technoholic like i have become...to me, it is kind of like a game...i want machines, software, cs education, a library, and somehow, by the grace of god, make enough money to pay for it all

...hey that kind of sounds like a drug dealer who makes just enough to pay for the yacht, sportscar, and his free drugs, but in the end gets caught by the feds

the feds in this case is MY WIFE...busted again:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
but honey, i really needed that software...i could use it for...umm?

anyone who buys a HD before a scooter will buy the adobe graphic design collection to make a christmas card...thanks to people like you and me, the economy is still running (somewhat)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.