No internet in Safari yet fine in M$ IE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johny5, Jul 27, 2007.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Well this happens randomly, I wont have any internet access in safari, yet when I run VMware windows XP I can browse fine in there, you can imagine how frustrated this feels as I am a converted pc user.

The network adaptor is configured as a bridge in VMware and I have just checked the network settings in SYS Prefs/Network they look fine although it was set to DHCP, so I gave it a fixed address and then it seemed to spring into life.
    I am using a fixed cable and a simple linksys router connected to a cable modem.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

what do you mean by no internet access? what kind of error messages are you getting from safari?

3. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Sorry, its come back on now, but the message was something along the lines of "you are not connected to the internet" with a few other lines under that and a network helper button at the bottom.
    This then brought up a list of items saying what I had connection to, like ISP, Router (I think) and a couple of others.

This may be linked, but how do you use the "Location" setting in the apple menu? I use my macbook at home and then in the office at work and then if I am in a hotel room then I use my mobile to connect to the internet, so I have actually setup 3 locations in there. It is currently set to Automatic.

One other error I seem to get on a regular occasion are SMB shares/connections. Sometimes they appear in finder, and most times they do not. I have noticed however when theyre not in finder that if I do a direct "Connect to Server" command using an ip address, then they connect. Maybe a dns issue? although everything is pointing to my router at 192.168.1.1