iPad No iPad Air 128GB in the entire USA stores

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tvfilm, Nov 3, 2013.

1. tvfilm macrumors newbie

Went to 3 local Apple stores, no iPad Air's 128GB Wifi + Cellular models. Checked online, the entire USA has none in store. The Apple retail guy said they haven't seen a 128GB in stock, just whatever is first ordered online that is shipped to the store.

Just crazy how Apple can just turn away millions of dollars in revenue over a marketing shortage ploy.

No reason to make someone order it online and get it shipped 3 days later. People want it in their hands now. This is 2013.

Steve Jobs would've been pissed to see this happening.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....and what would George Washington be pissed too?

3. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Wah wah wah. Give it a rest.

Missing out on revenue? Did you cancel your order? Will anyone cancel their order? Didn't think so.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've seen no main stream media coverage of this "ploy". How the hell is that marketing?

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I know Apple said supplies would be plentiful but I'm not surprised that a couple days later the 128 is sold out. I bet it's not delayed long though.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This just goes to show you people really are using ipads as computer replacements.

7. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

Why not go to Best Buy? The 2 stores near me had stock of every model except the TMobile ones since they don't carry them.

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Places people might forget might have it like a Target or Walmart too.

9. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

or that people will complain about almost anything.

10. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Lol too true.

11. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The local Best Buy was PACKED with 128GB models on Friday afternoon. They seemed.to.have equal amounts of 16GB.and 128GB. Weird, but true. Worst case scenario is BB ships one to you, and you'll have it in a few days.;)

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

OR? ... I think you mean AND

13. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

haha, fair point

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

What marketing shortage ploy? More likely than not, they didn't ship out a lot of the 128GB iPads to stores since they didn't expect in-store demand to be so high. On Apple Store, all the 128GB iPads aside from the T-Mobile version are available for 24 hour shipping so I don't really see any shortage here. Compare that to the iPhone 5s which is on, what, 2-3 weeks backorder?

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Click me

Nevermind. I just checked a bunch of zip codes.

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I think apple underestimated the largest size, figuring 16 and 32 would be the biggest in demand, I won't have mine from at&t till before thanksgiving i'm sure

17. MyiBill macrumors 6502

My local apple store has every model on launch day. Sold out of tmobile and verizon on Friday, att on Saturday and still has sprint in stock. In space gray at least, I didn't check white.

18. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Oh for the love of... Look, let's say for a moment that these ridiculous conspiracy theories about Apple deliberately not feeding enough units into the channel are correct. If that was the case the LAST thing they'd do is under-produce the most expensive model in the range. The whole point of that sort of strategy is to maximise profit by upselling customers to more expensive models. The fact they have enough of every other model to meet initial demand proves there's nothing untoward going on here.

The simple answer to this one is Apple have a ton of data available on purchasing habits which they use to predict the necessary stock levels at launch. For whatever reason the demand for the range topping 128GB 4G models has been much higher than they expected. I'll guarantee you Apple are kicking themselves over this as they know that not only is that revenue they haven't banked but they could have done so at the expense of lower margin models.

19. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

Seriously?! :rolleyes:

Marketing ploy? Apple can only produce so many iPads and have to judge what proportions of the 16 variations to produce based on their estimates of demand. Obviously demand for the 128GB cellular model has outstripped their estimates so there'll be a delay while they manufacture more, just as they scaled back production of the 5C when sales didn't meet their estimates.

As for "turning away millions of dollars", Apple will only lose money if customers who wanted this model but couldn't get hold of it decide not to wait at all and buy something else instead. So you know for a fact that these customers amount to "millions of dollars" do you?

Can't believe the number of know-it-alls on here who think they know how to run Apple better than Apple do.

20. Bokes macrumors 6502

I went with 64, but
    Plenty 128's at the Apple stores here in NYC.

21. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

First plenty of Apple stores have 128GB Airs. Also the idea that this is marketing shortage ploy is ludicrous.

22. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Genius Bar needed to replace my 128 Cellular today, no replacements to be found within a reasonable distance. They told me they are getting shipments Mon-Fri but they never know what is in them until they open up the boxes.

23. akm3 macrumors 68020

That is what I bought, 128gb Verizon iPad Air.

I think for the bigger iPad, the demand is higher for the higher GB models. The mini seems to attract a lower price point buyer.

24. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

When iPad first released, the higher storage capacity models always were the easiest to find. Now it seems like with HD movies, HD tv shows and apps taking up a lot of space, people are going for more space now.

Also a lot of people are using iPads instead of laptops as their portable computing device.