No iPhone 5 for Orange UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by domodazzzle, Sep 12, 2012.

1. domodazzzle macrumors member

I am currently half way through my 24 month iPhone 4 contract with Orange but was hoping to buy an iPhone 5 pay as you go and order a nano sim from Orange that will work with my contract. My problem is that according to this page on the apple website it says that pay as you go iPhones are only available to O2, Vodaphone or 3 in the UK. I called up both Apple and Orange in the UK and they both said to speak to each other about the issue, and the lady at Orange claimed to never have heard of the Nano Sim. I know that I can just buy an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple but any idea if Orange will be offering nano sims to those already tied to a contract? and I'm not sure atall how this ties in with Everything Everywhere...

Any help would be appreciated!

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just wait and see, it looks like Orange didn't plan as well as other networks. You may have to switch to EE but since it's the same company it should be easy to do that on your contract. You will have to wait a couple of weeks for that though.

3. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I suppose, I was thinking about popping down to the Orange store tomorrow to see what they have to say. I'd be happy to switch to EE aslong as I don't have to pay anymore money, I'm already on £65 a month!

4. jonney92 macrumors member

orange will be ready for the nano sim just give it til tomorrow when they update the iphone 5 page on their website

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

6. jonney92 macrumors member

if u have twitter and use the search bar at the top you can type "orange nano sim" and some people have posted pictures of the nano sim

7. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

yeah just saw that, can only seem to find pictures of french orange sims? and I believe they don't have EE in France D: and I'm hoping orange saying 'coming soon' means they'll have it all ready for the 21st like the rest of the networks!

8. borisiii macrumors 6502

Um, EE is Orange and T-Mobile. You are already with them...

9. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

Yes but I think EE are operating under a separate brand to Orange and T-Mobile. They've said they're making it easy to switch to I'm just wondering weather it's going to cost money...

10. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yes, it will because you'll need to pay for the 4G Internet Access.

11. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

I'm not interested in 4G, I just want to be able to use my current Orange contract (600 mins, Unlimited Texts + 2GB Internet) but on a Nano Sim instead of the Micro Sim I have at the moment. My problem is that since Orange arn't on the list of supported carriers on the website they won't be stocking Nano simcards?

12. borisiii macrumors 6502

The merger was allowed on the condition that they continued to operate as two separate networks, even if they are cosy with each other.

http://everythingeverywhere.com/brands/

13. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

ah I see, I'm just wondering if they're going to be producing nano sims on the separate networks or just through EE for 4G, if they only did it through EE it would mean alot more potential customers making the switch to their new network.

14. borisiii macrumors 6502

Possibly true, but they can't merge into a single operator. As far as Apple is concerned Orange and T-Mobile is a combined entity, as they only negotiate phone availability with EE, but the phones are made available on both of their brands.

They seem to have successfully confused a lot of people by announcing them as EE in their LTE availability diagram. Vodafone was shown on the continent but not the UK (it operates in lots of european countries so I'm guessing they put one logo in the centre of the map rather than in Italy, Spain, Germany, UK etc) as an LTE carrier, so I'm not even sure there's any merit to those claiming Vodafone won't support LTE.

15. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

it's looking positive! Orange just posted this on their site...

16. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Oh don't worry it'll be supported, probably wasn't on the list because they operate under the EE franchise hence they didn't put O/T-M. But they've said for customers who go with Orange or T-Mobile, they can upgrade their iPhone 5 plan to EE if they want to, hence it should be available on these two carriers.

17. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was thinking that, also the 4S and the 4 on the Apple store only say they're available on O2, Vodaphone and 3 even though the unlocked models work fine with Orange and T-Mobile. Hoping Orange will confirm everything tomorrow, that way I can pre-order 8am Friday morning!

Now all I have to decide is the colour!

18. jonney92 macrumors member

im pretty sure orange will be stocking nano sims as theyve got to keep up with the competition just dont think they were as prepared as other companies. im in the same position as you got a orange dolphin contract package and hoping to change my sim into a nano sim to work in the iphone 5

19. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

Just spoken to a lady at Orange's customer services and they've been told they won't have any Nano Sims ready to ship until atleast some date in October!

Sucks to be on Orange...

20. randystand macrumors 6502

^^^ that won't be true. Orange wouldn't be able to sell any iPhones themselves til October then.

I just spoke with CSS at orange regarding nano sim and as of yet they haven't been given any information. She just said to keep an eye on the website for when they announce the iPhone plans... They will probably talk about sim cards too then.

21. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

At least you've managed to contact them, I'm on hold for Three........ /sigh
    And firstworldproblems with black or white haha... I don't know which one I'm going to get either!

22. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking that they won't be selling them until October, the lady on the phone seemed pretty confident that the nano sim isn't even on their computer system yet. Mind you I just spoke to Apple on the phone and the guy their said that since Orange is one of the official supported carriers he'd be very surprised if they wern't shipping nano sims this month.

23. steveLONDON macrumors regular

God everything to do with Orange online sucks .Website, support, everything.

24. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I'm sure they're stock piling them already. I'm getting ready to order tomorrow, I asked him specific times of when I could upgrade but he was like he couldn't tell me a precise time but did give me an assured time :p.... this guy is my new friend.

25. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

What did they say to you? :eek: I think I'm just going to order the iPhone tomorrow morning then just carry on using my iPhone 4 until I get a nano sim... whenever that'll be.