No iPhone 5S tomorrow? You wont see one for a LONG time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 19, 2013.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

2. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

4. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Close thread. Suspend user for one hour. Spank with belt.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Source for this confirmation?:rolleyes:

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Read an article that carriers won't be getting nearly any gold or white ones.

7. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Indeed. It has insightful information. :-/

On a side note - isn't it this way with any new Apple device release? Unless you preorder quick - you won't get one for a while.

8. note235 macrumors 6502a

heard same from my store

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

What are you talking about; you will be able to see many, just not own one :p

10. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

says carrier reps, not much trust towards them. reports are they'll have space gray, so not iPhone 5s completely.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup that's what I said. OP is different.

12. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Well black is what I want so hopefully I'll be able to grab one in a couple weeks

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I, too, fear there are going to be alot of very mad people. I predict that supply will be very small and even early phone orders will have later shipping dates.

Just got a bad feeling.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

I can confirm the OPs original post. We just received confirmation that none of the carrier stores will have any stock at all. Something like only 200-300 stores nationwide and mostly Apple Stores will have the few that are in stock.

They're already saying customers should expect 5-10 day shipping estimates for their 5S

15. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

I remember similar supply constraint predictions for the iPad 3rd gen.. the Verizon store opened at 8 or 9 AM.. I arrived there 90 mins before and was 2nd in line. No one even arrived behind me by the time they opened the doors 90 mins later. I could have arrived at the store opening time and still gotten exactly the one I wanted (White 64GB LTE model). Hoping it will be the same for an iPhone launch. :rolleyes:

16. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Don't you guys understand?

> Apple didn't allow pre-orders
    > Apple spread rumors there would be a shortage
    > Apple wants giant lines for publicity

Apple acquired AuthenTec a few years ago, and they didn't just plan the fingerprint sensor a few months ago, it's been planned for a while, so there was no shortage of fingerprint sensors.

If I could cyber-bet, I would bet a lot of money that the stores and carriers will be very high in stock. Stop believing they won't have a lot, Apple wants giant lines, there are no facts to prove any of these rumors. Without pre-orders, there will be TONS of iPhones at each store

17. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I can deal with 7-10 day shipping if I order tonight (well, early tomorrow morning). What I will be ticked about is if it goes to 3 weeks or so before I can get an order through at 3AM.

18. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Fishy rumors

I called the local Apple store and the rep (Andy) confirmed that they would have all of the models (including the 5s) in all colors tomorrow.
    I'm choosing to believe Apple as opposed to the rumors that have run rampant on the forum #

Not sure who started spreading all of this stuff but I'd recommend to others, if in doubt, just call your local Apple Store before heading out. And if it makes you feel more comfortable note who you spoke to.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well we have been right on the forums. Most Apple stores had low stock and an absolutely pathetic amount of Gold ones (less than 5 in some cases) and the silver was extremely short in stock as well.

20. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Apple showed their true colors on Launch Day

Okay, you were right and I was wrong (eating my humble pie without the apples). Andy told a half truth, which is basically a lie. They did have all models and colors but he failed to mention that they only had 7 gold and silver. Apple took a tumble and nose dived in the integrity department. Fool me once, shame on you . . . But I won't be fooled twice. Their credibility dropped substantially today. This is the first time in about 20 years that I can say I am very disappointed with Apple.

To all I doubted here, I apologize :eek:

21. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

How'd that turn out for you? Good thing you can't cyber-bet.

22. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Worked out AMAZING! I got a 5s at 4:00 PM at the first store I tried :)

I wish I did cyber-bet! I would have made quite a bit of money!

23. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Every local store was out and I walked into the closest store and they had just gotten a shipment of gold ones at 8 pm so clearly they're still dropping them at stores even at night.

24. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I don't see the point for Apple to intentionally 'limit supply' of iPhone 5Ss. This is absurd. Days following the launch day is where demand is almost inelastic. It makes no sense for Apple to withhold stock in the midst of high demand, lest they want to sell it when demand falls which by then perhaps some consumers might have already found alternatives! (Example: Galaxy Note 3?

Days following the launch date is when a significant chunk of iPhone CAN be sold and WILL be sold. It certainly makes no sense for Apple to limit sales at this point. Whats the point? IT only benefits scalpers.

My view is There is indeed a shortage of supply but not created intentionally. You must not forget not only does the US wants iPhone 5Ses, but also a couple of countries around the world who is seeing similar if not higher demands for it, like China and Hongkong.

I had a friend working in a Verizon store though. 2 years ago when I went there to purchase the 4S 3 days after launch, I managed to procure one. But my friend who was servicing me told me that it is not that there ISN'T any supply, there is some at the back of the store, but they can't sell them all at once (very few, still) You can't sell all your supplies in one day and disappoint customers who will come the following days. Each day the stores has a quota of how much they could sell. So yes, there definitely is an intention of withholding back stocks but it is a fairly reasonable one. Until new shipments come in, then they could up the quota etc. Until then, a certain amount of iPhones could be sold each day depending on every store and their amount of supply.

Not only that, I was also told that iPhone shipments from China to the US is not necessary entirely for the US. My friend also said that a large proportion of supplies is also delivered overseas to other countries from the US. iPhones are first shipped to the US. Not only that, carriers would also estimate how much iPhones they need based on pre-orders. I think the reason why there is no pre-orders this time round is because Apple cannot make enough iPhones to handle a PREORDER. If they decide to open a pre-order for customers, there would be absolutely little iPhones less for those who did not pre-order, simple.

What do you think of my views and knowledge?