No IR remote for NEW MacBook White is a deal breaker!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HiFiGuy528, Oct 21, 2009.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Am I alone on this? I use my old white MacBook as a HTPC not having the ability to use the nice new Apple remote is STUPID.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You really are going to not buy a computer because in a couple years it won't be able to serve as an HTPC? I'm fairly certain Apple believes most that use their products as HTPC's use the Mac Mini.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes you are alone in this one. Why? Because out of everything to bitch about you pick a remote? If you want an HTPC then buy a mini.

4. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You have to start a new thread just to voice what some others are already saying in other discussions ?

6. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

I do like having my remote but I wish I would rather be able to use it with my Mac Pro instead :p

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Then get a mac pro?

Honestly, this whining is really getting ridiculous. I'll trade the IR, battery indicator and FW for a glass trackpad, LED display and 7 hour battery any day of the week.

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

My student Mac was a white MacBook and one of the most used features was the remote for Keynote presentations (gave a hell lot of them at university). Removing it is just kind of stupid, IMO, considering the is the most popular student computer that Apple has.

9. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

Actually, the mac pro doesn't have an IR port either IIRC.

Apple shouldn't have removed it. I dont know why but they did..

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That should've read macBOOK pro.

It was just one more way to keep the macbook in check with its higher priced siblings. Really, along with FW and the battery status light, I think they chose the right features to strip out in order to keep people from abandoning the MBP line.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

But the MBP does??

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think the new Macbook is awesome. My wife got hers and it was $400.00 more and she doesn't use Firewire at all and we use the remote app for the iPhones. I see you have an iPhone also, so get the remote app for iTunes and there are other apps to control your Macbook. The app would be better because you don't have to aim your phone at you Mac like you have too with a remote.

13. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Not exactly a deal breaker, but it is pretty stupid to have removed it especially as it's not really a "pro" feature.

But seeing as the low end Macbook Pro is so poorly speced, I can understand why they felt the need to cripple the plain Macbook a little.

14. patrixl macrumors regular

Is this confirmed, yet?

Also, if it is true, wtf.. Macs are supposed to be multimedia machines, especially for the consumers... wtf indeed.

but I'll reserve my big "wtf" for when it's confirmed lol

Patrix

15. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

It confirmed. I tried it at an Apple store today. The staff there was surprised of the poor judgement change.

I use my old white book as a media center. Having a headless MacMini is not as good as a MacBook. iPhone remote apps are okay at best IMO. A fancy new Apple remote but it can't be used on the most affordable MacBook is silly.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Get the Griffin AirclickUSB ($30) and shut up about not having a stupid remote receiver. This is even more petty than whining about no Blu-Ray and I consider that to be a pretty big river to be crying already.

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Actually, this is a deal breaker for me too. To argue that an IR sensor, which was a standard on Macbooks to begin with is now only intended for "pro users" is downright ridiculous.

Whats worse is that even the Macbook Air sports an IR receiver, which is apparently small enough to fit the entire height of it's front edge. Can someone please explain to me why the MBA, which was never intended for pro use, can have the IR sensor, but not the Macbook. This just adds more salt to the wound for Macbook users.

Changes like these don't have enough whining as it should have. OP is dead on to point out such things. In my opinion, the removal of the IR sensor not only becomes counter intuitive to the newly released Apple remote, but in my eyes, also makes the Macbook a less consumer friendly computer. I really do hope Apple brings it back in the next refresh.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

AGATA: Apple Giveth, Apple Taketh Away.

They're also evil geniuses at upselling. They put in just enough cool new features for you to come in the store and look at the new macbook, and take out enough so you'll be tempted to spend just $200.00 more on the baby pro.
    The rationale used to be that 'blank' is a pro feature; but how they can do that with not having an IR port is beyond me.

What I love is how they have keynotes for the cool new features and work up excitement, then neglect to mention that they dropped a feature that they previously had on all prior models before then. There were quite a few "I just got my new unibody macbook, and HEY, WHERE THE #$^@ IS THE FIREWIRE?!?" posts on the forums this time last year.

Honestly, I've learned to fight the hype and not rush out and buy a new product as soon as they're announced because of this. I'm also waiting to see how others find the magic mouse before I buy one. I prefer to let others go out and spend their money to beta test products for me before I spend mine.

19. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I am more disappointed that there is no infrared receiver than I am there is no firewire. The Apple remote is so useful for Front Row or for when doing presentations. Now we have to buy a standalone remote? Who wants to deal with remote adapters and possible compatibility issues?

20. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If this is a dealbreaker, buy a MacBook Pro. Seriously.

Or get a deal on an older MacBook.

21. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Let me remind those who don't care about an IR sensor that the MacBook only has two USB ports.

I know I can buy a MacBook Pro but that's not the point. Not having a remote sensor is more stupid than not having Firewire. Especially when Apple just released a shinny new aluminum remote.

22. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch....there are several apps that function quite well as an Apple remote and wireless keyboard and mouse.

Not having an IR sensor is not a big deal. Overall it is a great machine!

23. germanix macrumors member

As a professional teacher and trainer I do a lot of presentations. I also expect my students to present their work via presentations. A large number of us use our MacBooks to present. We were all very exited when the new MacBooks came out but on realizing that there are no IR sensor installed we were all terribly disappointed. This is definitely a deal breaker for me and most of my students. The MacBook is aimed at both high school and university students, and doing presentations on a regular basis is expected from the students (at least here in Europe). This was a real dumb move from Apple not to include the IR sensor. :confused:

24. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Use Wii Remote + Remote Buddy.

I use this combination for my Mac Mini mediacenter.