NO Lie- I watched my iPad 2 screen break right in front of my eyes!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AlkFoo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. AlkFoo macrumors member

So, I am sure I will get some doubters but I can't believe what I witnessed. I have had my iPad 2 since June and of course got the smart cover with it. I usually don't take it out of the house much, so the smart cover works just fine. Anyway, here's my story....

So the other day, I am playing around with my iPad and like usual I had taken off my smart cover... no need to have connected as I using the iPad. Once I'm finished with the iPad I pick up the smart cover and go to attach it back on to the iPad. NO LIE... as it goes to connect to the side of the iPad, the screen CRACKS along the side of bezel right in front of my eyes!:eek:

I didn't drop my iPad, I didn't even touch the screen with the hinges of the smart cover... it literally, crack the glass (small spider web) and had a few crack lines that followed it.

Has anybody ever heard of this... I don't even know if I'd believe this if someone told me... BUT, I saw with own two eyes. I would love to know if this is some sort of defect... there are no dents or anything to the frame (because I didn't drop of course) and I have an appointment with the "genius" at Apple on Friday. I really hope they have some type of explaination... I hope the cost isn't too much to repair the screen.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If anyone have ever heard of glass break under tension?

I mean...it's glass but a very unfortunate experience I must say.

3. Tim9724 macrumors member

4. stev3n macrumors 6502

That's crazy, I'm interested in knowing what the genius tells you.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just like how your iPhone software "breaks" for no reason? :rolleyes:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sentences that start with "no lie" are usually the ones I'm most critical of. Ergo, I think there is a lie there somewhere.

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

8. kolax macrumors G3

Why would you post your story, especially emphasising the "no lie" part, without a photo to make everyone's day?

9. AlkFoo, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011

AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

I was completely amazed at what I witnessed. As I mentioned before, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I don't think I'd believe it myself.

I also thought it would be a good "attention grabbing" opening... might've worked.

working on photo's, but a limited with a 3GS camera.

photo 2 iPad break.JPG

ipad break 3.JPG

photo- iPad break.JPG

Here's what I got... No Lie...:D (sarcasm)

10. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

A 3GS photo is better than nothing.

11. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

I Can't believe this happened

trying to give a good angle... not sure if you can see in any of the photos, but the actual case (silver back/side) is perfect- just the screen is damaged.

Attached Files:

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

How hard did you snap it on?

I was expecting to see a huge crack in the middle of your screen. The fact that it's only on that edge where the smart cover meets adds credit to your story, although you're going to be questioned on how hard you applied the cover.

Also, feel the thin magnet strip on your smart cover - is it level or is there a bump?

13. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I'd be taking it into apple and see what they can do for you!

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

we're not the ones you need to convince if you're looking for a replacement.

15. AlkFoo, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

No, just the cracks on the side... it's something I can livewith (might have to). I will check the smart cover.

Not trying to convince anyone...just wondering if anybody has ever heard of this happening.

As far as how hard- not that hard at all... the magnetic pull seems to take over at the end of putting the smart cover on. I definitely didn't throw it at the iPad... I would just say a normal connection...and it didn't miss and hit the screen.

Just odd!

16. huskerwr38 macrumors member

do you have a warranty with squaretrade or anything? They would cover something like that.

17. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

No... I don't. I hope they find that its a defect of some sort, but I'm anticipating having to pay for a repair or live with it.

18. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

Something like this happened to me! Like you, I just use the smart cover sence I don't take it out of the house much, but about a week I noticed that the bezal was sticking out a bit in the bottome right corner. Like most people would do, I tried to push it back in and of course, my iPad screen now has a few scratches. They aren't that big or anything, they're just annoying. I'm going to call apple soon and see if I can get it fixed. Wish me luck! :D

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I had this happen with a car window once. The car was just sitting there in the parking lot and right before my eyes the windshield cracked.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

My iPad is bulging in the same spot. Is yours white like mine?

21. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

I will see Friday when I take it in. Let us know how your call goes. There's a part of me that doesn't even want to bother with a 30 minute trip to the nearest Apple store, especially sense it's a "screen" issue... Or at least I fear they'll view it that way, and most screen issues have to do with dropping it (breaks at least).

Keep you posted.

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nobody Has Mentioned

The magnets on the smart cover.....As I have posted elsewhere they can cause damage. Stopped using mine on day 2. I think this may have been the cause of this damage.

23. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

Reservation today at Apple store went well... took the iPad 2 in and at first was told they could probably fix it for $230 or something. Stu, the Apple employee who helped me, did say, "let me check to see if that's our only option". He came back about 3 minutes later and said, "well (bad news right?), Apple does extend a one time courtesy on something like this, and we do have your model in stock... let me go get that for you".

So- I got a new iPad 2. I did ask if he had heard about any issues similar, and his reply was, "no"... I pressed him a little bit about if he had heard of any problems with the screen at all... his reply, "no"... so I took it for what its worth.

Spiterwolf- I'd skip the Apple phone call and book an appointment with the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store.

NO LIE... Apple listened, inspected my iPad 2 and came through with a new replacement. Great customer service, I must add, regardless... I seriously didn't believe I'd walk with a replacement, just hoped they listen and have some sort of alternative.

24. dj95 macrumors member

Apples customer service never ceases to amaze me. :apple:

25. palpatine macrumors 68040

good story. glad to hear it worked out for you in the end.

i've never had any problems with my smart cover. no scratches or anything like that. i wouldn't get it again, though.

first, after hearing stories from people, i get a bit nervous thinking about the possibility of trouble.

second, it provides almost no protection at all. i am careful with it and don't carry much in my bag, and still it sometimes gets caught on my wallet or something, opens, and drains the battery.

third, it leaves dust tracks on the screen. i don't know where all this dust is coming from. never had problems like this with my old ipad1 cover.