No longer to output 1920x1080 to my plasma since updating to snow leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pubjoe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. pubjoe macrumors 6502

I regularly connect my imac to the TV and before I updated to snow leopard, I used to send it a 1080p signal. But ever since updating, the option is gone.

To make matters worse, I have no 16:9 ratio resolution options available on the mac's display list now under VGA display.

I have a 3 year old (1024x768 panel) panasonic plasma. It doesn't officially support 1080p, but it is widely known that it does work. If I send it the same signal from the PS3, a windows machine or my imac until a few months ago, it happily accepts and downscales the image.

I am now unable to use front row or quicktime (unless I want a stretched image) because it doesn't have enough screen ratio options to compensate for the skewiff plasma 1:1.33 pixel display. I have been using vlc media which is far less sexy.

1280x720 would be ok, but I'd rather not upscale. 1366x768 would be perfect, but then it'd rearrange my screen and icons on switch. But I'd preferably like to just put it back to 1920x1080. ALL of these 16:9 modes used to work for me on leopard but are no longer selectable since going snow.

Is there any way that I can 'force' more resolution modes?

2. springyfox macrumors member

I believe a tool called DisplayResX will do what you want it to. I have used it before to force a strange screen resolution for capture purposes.

Just googled it and I cannot find much mention of it, I will see if I still have an installer (freeware), and post a download link - but not promising anything as I'm not sure if I still have it.

Tom

3. springyfox macrumors member

Actually, just remembered, it's not DisplayResX it's SwitchResX.

Google that and you should find what you are looking for!

Tom

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Are you sure it's not just labeled "1080p"? That's the way it is on mine (MacBook Aluminum running 10.6.2). 1080p is 1920x1080.

jW

5. pubjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers Tom, that'd be great! I'll look it up.

jW, that's just the sort of mistake I could easily make, but no, 1080p is definately not on the list.

6. pubjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

It's still not helped.

SwitchresX won't add any of my custom resolutions (tried making 1920x1080@60 & 1360x768@60) to the display list, but after a restart, switchres just says "inactive - [something I can't remember] - ?"

I've checked the author's FAQ and it says "(a resolution should not be bigger than the maximal viewable size as reported by the monitor)". Now as I say, my plasma does not officially support 1920p, but it does scale and display it if it's fed the signal.

Leopard will do it fine, but I obviously don't want to downgrade back from snow leopard, but this is a pretty big disadvantage to me.

P.S. I'm using a VGA adapter.