No longer with ATT, can I install the newest firmware and still activate phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VoodooDaddy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I have 2.1 on my old iPhone. I am no longer an ATT customer but the phone is used as an iPod touch basically. I know when you upgrade the firmware it goes through an "activating" process. If I were to upgrade would the thing essentially be useless or once its been activated will it always be activated after an upgrade? Just dont want to install it and find out that I can no longer use the iPod funtion.

2. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

I'm with at&t so not quite sure, but you should be able to Jailbreak regardless. Is it a 3G model?

3. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

No, its the 1st gen version. I figured if nothing else it could be jailbroken. Id done that before the app store came along. But I dont know if you can install apps from iTunes on a jailbroken phone either.

4. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, you can. Jailbreak it, and unlock it, using either Pwnage Tool or Quickpwn

5. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

You might not know the answer to this, but Ill ask anyway. I know you can put custom carrier labels on a jailbroken phone. Would it be possible to remove the "no service" label and put something like iPod Touch at the top?

6. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, the Package at Cydia I think it's called, Make it mine.

7. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

It can definitely be done as posted above.

8. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

If either of you could be so kind and point me in the direction of how to do this and where to get the apps you need Id greatly appreciate it. Its been a LONG time since I was into the jailbreak scene.

Basically I want to jailbreak it so I can remove the No Service label and put iPod Touch at the top. Thanks.

9. golgo1313 macrumors regular