No LTE in MPLS, will the IP5 also connect on standard 4G ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TableSyrup, Sep 20, 2012.

1. TableSyrup macrumors 6502

Sprint

No LTE here yet..... pretty good 4G coverage tho.

Searched, but can't find an answer, so I'm guessing NO ????

(Honestly, not too concerned about the delay, because I have actual UNLIMITED everything, which is more important to me for my needs at the moment)

Thanx

(Sorry if this is a duplicate.... didn't find a thread when searching)

2. jkun macrumors member

Standard 4G is LTE...
    The "4G" your referring to is probably wimax? Sprint's wimax will NOT work on the new iPhone 5... or pretty much any new phone.

3. TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's WiMax

Shoot. Yeah, I figured it wouldn't.....

Oh well, the compromise for unlimited everything is worth it for me right now.... I use 4-5 Thousand minutes a month, plus an ungodly amount of texts and data

Thanx ;)

4. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

What about HSPA+? Our friends iPhone 4s' say 4g. Will the iPhone 5 still utilize that signal if we don't have LTE here?

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Yes the iPhone will run on faux-G umm.. HSPA+

6. astral125 macrumors 6502

He sounds like he's on sprint. No HSPA+

7. akwebe04 macrumors newbie

Twin Cities will be getting LTE from AT&T by the end of the year they confirmed

8. TableSyrup, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

:p:p

Sheeezus. First word in my post. :D:D

Not switching to another carrier to get raped.

I get unlimited.... UNLIMITED.... EVERYTHING

I use 4-5k minutes voice per month - probably as many or more texts - ungodly amounts of data

$100/Month

find that anywhere else. never happen.

9. jkun macrumors member

The OP explicitly asked about Sprint, not AT&T.

10. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

The 5 won't be using WiMax (which we have great coverage of in Mpls). So you'll be stuck on Sprint's terrible 3G buddy.

11. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I apologize, I was asking the question for me.

12. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Sprint doesn't have a good LTE network so you're likely to be tied to their ****** 2G network (the pos little 'o' symbol) til the end of 2013. Their crappy 3G (even that is older than AT&T or T-Mobile's 3G) is so slow and the coverage is super shoddy.

We paid ETF for 4 lines and said bye to Sprint - god that was one ****** company. They will never get another dime from me.

Sprint - UNLIMITED Data you CAN'T use.

13. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

We have HSPA+ on AT&T (to my understanding) in Minneapolis so our iPhone 5s will run on that until AT&T blesses us with LTE.

14. TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no problems whatsoever pulling data on the standard '3G' network, or whatever their standard is.

Not the fastest thing in the world, but it doesn't fail me in any state. (I travel)

Phone runs hot in CA anywhere from North Hollywood to Huntington Beach, and around Kansas City, but anywhere else it does not, and even where it does, it still serves me well.

Any time I am in need of massive data, I'm on my Mac Pro or Macbook, so who cares.

4G in MPLS is not great. It sucks. I own a house just outside of Downtown (Northside, just off Theodore Wirth Parkway) and can barely pull a signal. Also, at our offices in Fridley, we also get crap 4G - just crappy pockets of bad signal.

Regardless, like I say.... the amount of data, minutes, and texts I pull, are well worth the sacrifice in data transmission rate.

Any other carrier and my bills would likely be $300+ today. So it works for me.

I agree... it is crappy that they don't have widespread LTE yet, but it should come... and again... can't look past my unlimited contract for $100