No LTE Max in Canada for 5s or 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Corrode, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

So apparently the new iPhones don't come with support for band 7 2600mhz in Canada meaning that the new "LTE Max" that Rogers has been promoting is not actually going to work. This band IS being supported in other countries though.

Wtf Apple? I know going from 100mbps to 150mpbs isn't THAT big a deal but you'd think they'd consider this when releasing the "most anticipated phone of the year".

Source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you're saying that you need band 7 support to get 2600 mhz, which is available in Canada and other countries but Apple is saying that band 7 isn't supported in Canada? How can it be restricted like that? Forgive the ignorance, but if the technology is there, then I don't get how it doesn't work.

Regardless of the noticeable or unnoticeable differences, I'd still want to know my phone supports the tech offered by my carrier. In my case it still doesn't because some Verizon phones will do voice and data whereas the iPhone doesn't.

3. lazard macrumors 65816

It's nothing new for phones. Manufacturers only enable certain bands depending on the what country to phone is being release.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I get that, but band 7 is supported on the phone and if band 7 is available in Canada, then why not enable it?

5. lazard macrumors 65816

Only Apple knows the answer to that.

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

100 to 150 mbps? Are you sure that isn't a typo? Home internet speeds aren't even that fast unless you're paying through the nose, let alone a cell phone.

7. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

Not a typo. LTE speeds are truly amazing. I find myself using LTE over wifi a lot of the time due to the generally-higher speeds. And I'm still using the iPhone 5 capable of "only" 100 mbps.

8. bensharma macrumors newbie

Guess a few Canadians may get the A1530 from overseas?

Especially if they often travel to Europe or Asia, and want to get LTE with local SIM cards there...

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I'm actually more annoyed with Rogers for not expanding their existing LTE network. I live just under two hours east of Toronto and get 3G roughly 70% of the time with the rest being EDGE or no data at all.

Got a text from Rogers a while back telling me that I'm eligible for LTE Max only to discover that my iPhone 5 can't connect to it. I'd be happy with any LTE at all.

10. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'm saying that an iPhone with band support does exist, but that model is not being sold in Canada. If it IS just a matter of enabling the band, that would be great, although I have a feeling it's hardware based.

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Interesting, those speeds aren't available in the USA or at least in the area I live in. Here 30 Mbps is very fast for desktop computer speeds. Who needs 150 Mbps for a phone? It's not like you're downloading big movie files as you would on a Mac.