No luck selling 5 on CL... Take the next worth offer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Becact, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Becact macrumors member

I'm not getting any bites on my black ATT 64gb 5 on Craigslist at $520. I have an offer from Nextworth for $451 but it expires soon.

Anyone know if last model prices generally go up again a while after launch? If so I'll wait it out; I'm not desperate for the money. But if I'll never be able to get more than $450 on Craigslist is rather just skip the hassle and mail it to next worth.

Also, anyone know if you need to include the lightning cable with the next worth phone? Doesn't say anything about it...

Thanks!

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

I bought a 64GB iPhone 5 on CL for $450. I refuse to go any lower. I'm not the cheapest man on the planet but also will hold my guns for a good deal. I'm sure most of the people out there think like me so you might be priced a bit high.

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Just my opinion but you are priced high. Price it at $499 and settle for $450-475.

4. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

If you bought it for 200, sell it for 400 and move on with life.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

6. billycuth macrumors 6502a

My instinct would be to hold onto it.

The black iphone 5 is discontinued and will become a bit rarer over time. I think you should be able to get what you are asking.

I sold my iphone 4s white 16GB unlocked on launch day for $335.

7. Becact thread starter macrumors member

It's a 64gb.

Thanks for the feedback, I had no idea $520 was too high for a 64... I thought they went for higher?

8. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Wow. 64 won't sell for the price you are asking? That's surprising.

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah I do feel as a 5 owner (32gig model), the price has flopped to the point where it's not really worth considering selling.

10. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

Take the offer for 450.

I have noticed that resale value on higher GB models are much lower than their 16GB counterparts. I sold my iPhone 5 (locked 16GB) for 420. 32GB would probably go for 450, and 64 for 480 maybe.

You have to realize that people on kijiji / craigslist are generally looking for the cheapest possible option. Most would look at ads and go for a cheaper 16GB model than a more expensive 64GB, in the end, all they want is the phone. This may not be specific to everyone, but a majority I assume.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Ive been following the Amazon Market on used iPhones and noticed prices on a iPhone 5 unlocked 16GB were best in that week between the announcement and release day ($325-375) but post-release it's averaging higher ($400-430) even though the channel is flooded.

Anyway, the problem you have is its 64GB. Apple overcharges so much for doubling storage but market value of 16vs32vs64 is significantly lower so, even though you paid top dollar for capacity, you can't expect top dollar in resale. Your best bet is to check with your carrier if you can have it unlocked because that makes it more appealing and gives you a broader audience.

12. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

True, sucks you paid that $200 premium to go from 16 to 64 to not see it in returns in the slightest

13. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

AFTER iPhone 5S was announced I listed my AT&T 16GB iPhone 5 (white) on eBay.
    After a couple of bids, someone used BUY IT NOW for $475 + $7.99 shipping.

My iPhone 5 was also jailbroken & unlocked.

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

There are still carriers with 5 inventory that are unloading them cheap. Hold back a little bit. Once they run out it will go up in price.

15. SoIsays macrumors regular

16/32/64gb CL purchase prices only vary by 20-40 dollars. 32/64gb owners think they can get away with minimum $50-100 price difference. Each day you hold out over twenty dollars, you lose resale value over your OLD iphone. By Oct/Nov, 16gb will go for 310, 32gb for 330, and 64 for 350 and your buyers will be cash strapped teens/young adults who are telling the truth when they say they can't match your asking price.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Supply has far exceed demand, this occurred when I was selling my iPhone 4 when the 5 came out.

Get what you can and move on.

When the iPhone 6 comes out, I'm sure it will be the same. If I could live without my phone, I'd sell it before apple announced their new iPhone.

17. Becact thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. I'll lower the price on CL and hold out as long as I can, then mail it to nextworth if no one bites.

Next cycle I think I'll buy a cheap holdover phone and sell the 5S before the 6 launch :)

BTW, I don't feel like I've been screwed owning the 64 or anything. I bought the phone to use it and enjoy it, I only paid $326 for it at best buy new, so am actually making $125 even selling to next worth. I'd never buy a phone I'm not happy with just for better resale, that's dumb IMHO.

18. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I sold my iPhone 5 AT&T 64 GB white for $580 on CL, and I sold it the day after the 5S came out, I think you should just be more patient, and also try to modify your post make it more appealing, take better pictures of your phone, good luck.

19. urkel, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

urkel macrumors 68030

Sucks more if youre on Sprint (like I am). We pay the exact same amount as everyone else for our iPhones but our resale value is 30% lower since nobody wants a Sprint phone. :D

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You are def asking too much anyway. The most I've ever gotten for my previous model iPhones is $380. Sadly 64GB doesn't have much bearing on price. My 16gb went for almost as much as my 32 last year.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Don't forget CL is location dependent so you are waiting for the right buyer in your area. You are also relying on people who want to meet with a stranger in person. I always list on CL but eBay is good to have as well. Some people feel more comfortable buying from a medium where they have some way to contact the seller. Just saying if you want maximum dollars, use another platform as well.

22. Becact thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately PayPal makes eBay not an option for me. I won't use it as a seller.

23. urkel, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

urkel macrumors 68030

Technically, you didn't buy the phone, you subsidized it. So IF you're still under contract then that means you're still paying it off AND you're buying a new phone straight out. (I have my full price 5s in the mail but I'm doing the math on upgrading my iPhone 5 to 5s and it's hard to justify the depreciation value as well as the cost of a new phone) :D

BTW. Have you tried Amazon Marketplace? IF you can get it unlocked from ATT then they seem to be selling easily at $500. I've been looking for a 16GB 5 unlocked and I noticed that theres a bubble in resale demand over there so it's worth checking out if you want top dollar (and are okay with waiting 30days for your check).

24. playaproved macrumors 6502

I sold unlocked 16GB Black 5 yesterday for $410 and it only took an hour on Craigs. Market may have a lot to do with it too. I'm in socal... But like others are saying I don't think capacity matters as much on the resale market.

I do think you can get about $475 on craigslist and I'm surprised no one has offered you that.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

$520 is too high. A last year's model 32gigs unlocked go for between $400-460 on ebay depending on time of post-debut sale. 64gigs doesn't go for much more, maybe $25, and it would be even less on CL as there's no commission. You didn't even say if it's unlocked.

You've simply priced it too high, period.

Prices will creep up roughly 2 months after new iPhone debut before dropping again.