No luck selling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omgitzv2, Sep 13, 2013.

1. omgitzv2 macrumors member

I can't manage to sell my iPhone 5 16gb at cl all the offers I am receiving are for $300. How did you guys sell your phones?:confused:

2. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

just wait it out...you should get at least $350-$380...depends on location i guess but I got $500 for my old ip5 16gb maybe two months ago

3. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Supply and demand problem. Everyone and their mother is selling their iphone 5 right now thus giving buyers purchasing power. :).

Should've sold it a few weeks ago when nobody was thinking about it. Don't know what to tell you. I'm keeping my 5 as a backup/travel phone and getting the 5s.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't fall for the lowballers.
    Or people that agree on a price and then show up with less money saying that's all they got. Don't rush it and walk away if you're not satisfied.

5. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Smart man for selling it early. I do this with all my sports games for Xbox. I always sell that sheet two months ish before the new game because people pay good money then.

----------

HA! I've had people do that to me like four times on Craigslist lately. I let one guy get away with it but since then I stopped. It's funny to see their face when your like "no man..pay the price we agreed to or I'm leaving" Then they pull the cash out of their socks lol

6. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

$300 for a 16gb isn't too bad though if you bought it for a subsidized price.

Since the original iPhone, every upgrade I've made I've covered the new subsidized price by selling the old model. 18 +/- months of use and getting $300 back that takes care of the new cost, can't beat it.

7. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

I will not sell mine below $450. I didn't baby this thing to let it go for cheap. Every year is the same. Fools don't have/want to pay $450-500 for outgoing model yet they will tell you new model is coming out. So what? its not like he will go and buy it if he's are looking for used previous gen on CL

8. omgitzv2 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what is happening to me right now! Some even offered $200 and their reason was because the 5s was out.

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

And they are right. You need their $200 more than he needs your old 5.

10. asdfierie macrumors newbie

Does he?

11. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Because unfortunately people list their old 5's for crazy low prices because they dont know what its worth so they see all the others listed for $200-$300 so that's what they offer you. So they bring down the price. They only want enough to cover the cost of the new phone. It sucks yes. That's why I locked in $375 with nextworth.com

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Resell prices vary by carrier. Who is yours with?

$300 is the magic instant sale number right now for the AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5.

The Sprint one around $250 if you want to sell it fast and the Tmobile one around $275.

13. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

Problem is some sellers on CL/Ebay accept lowball offers. They forget that they are still paying for that phone every month. What Im getting at is I am not about to subsidize my phone for somebody else. Take your $200 "I need" and get your own phone with 2 year contract. So what new iPhone 5S is coming out? Will those lowballers have $800 16GB 5S will cost for the first 2-3 months on Craigslist and $1000 on eBay? I dont think so. I sold Verizon iPhone 4 8GB yesterday for $220 so I find $300 offers for my shiny iP5 both ridiculous and insulting. Just my humble $.02

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

My mom's mint white iPhone 5 went for $440 today, keep trying!

15. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

^^^ THIS

A year ago I sold my 4 on CL to get the iPhone 5. Agreed to $275 cash. When I met the person, he said "I talked to a few friends, and they said it's really only worth $200". I told him $275, or leave it. He didn't want it, so 2 days later I sold it to someone else for $275.

Be patient, and stand firm on the price.

16. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

This. I just took mine off. All i was getting were people lowballing me for $200 dollars or someone wanting me to ship their phone to their "grandson" in Nigeria and they would pay me $100 over what I was asking.

17. donkeycrushr macrumors member

So far on CL it hasn't worked out for me have gotten nothing but scammers and low ballers.

18. Gala macrumors regular

You should have sold it a few weeks ago because now I'm sure your area is saturated with people either looking to sell their 5 or people figuring they'll buy the new 5c. BUT I've got a few tips since I feel I've gotten a nice system down since I've been selling my last few on there.

1. Do you have the original box? If you don't, keep it next time around. I always take the first picture in a well lit area with the phone in the box at an angle so you can see phone, box, iPhone logo. Showing the box helps catch the buyers eye when looking at the pics real quick and it looks more professional. It gives the buyer the appearance that the phone is brand new even though they know it isn't.

2. If you don't have the box see if a friend kept theirs and just take the photo of it in it. If the friend doesn't want it give it to buyer, if not tell the buyer you don't have the box anymore. Buyers low ball all the time, CL is ruthless so what if they really wanted the box they still have a nice iPhone. If they get pissed walk away there will always be someone else.

3. You've got to make your ad look and sound better than anyone else selling a 5. Take quality photos (front, back , accessories), add in any cases/accessories (most people don't want the them but it'll draw people to your ad, the more they think they get the better! If they want the accessories make sure you price reflects that)

4. Tell low ballers that you already have an offer at YOUR lowest price and see if they bite.

5. Offer to drive part way depending on price. I'm always harder with the price if I drive at all.

6. Bullet point your ad. Keep it clean and not long winded (like this post)

7. Most important. Keep reposting your ad as a new ad every few days especially right before the weekends. Ads only stay on the top of the list for about a day or 2. Especially right now the last thing you want is to put your ad up and 24 hrs later 100 new phones have been posted on top of yours.

19. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

My 32gb isn't selling either. Last year and the year before I sold my iphones AFTER the new ones came out and I got tons of offers and still ended up selling them for $450 or more. This time around though it's a ghost town. I think it's a combination of: 1) Apple just isn't as popular anymore with the onslaught of Android phones, 2) the 5C is cheap enough where people are biting at it instead of a year old 5.

I'll still buy something cash, I'm still undecided between the 5s and the Note 3, but I'll probably just give my phone to one of my little cousins or something.

20. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Yep this ^

Also, never send your iPhone by mail to someone on craigslist even if you've already gotten the paypal payment.

21. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

ebay it or only use paypal via Craigs List. too many scammers..one guy gave me counterfeit money!

22. omgitzv2 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You hopefully it sells this weekend. Yup I still have the box and all the accessories. I have one offer for $350 that I think I am going to take.:)

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    Their smelly wet sock?
    I'd be like hell no:)

Why is that?
    There's no other buyers out there? And he really needs to sell it?

24. karuk macrumors newbie

First world problems.

I have a iPhone 5 32gb and would gladly take $350-375. This covers the cost for my 5s on contract after sub.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on CL. I am the guy that offers you what I'm willing to pay for the item you are selling. You call this "low balling". I call it smart money management. I got an iPad 2 in perfect condition for $235 6 months after it came out. I got a brand new iPad 4 (yes 4th gen) new in the box for $420 21 days after it was released. I bought a second iPad 4 for my son 4 months ago for $400.00. I'm a cash buyer. I never flake and I always show up with the amount I agreed to pay.

All this anger about low ball offers seems odd to me. Why would anyone want to pay more than they have to for anything they buy? Especially a used electronic device with no warranty and unknown damage history.

Just because Apple sets high prices you are willing to pay does not mean people in the used phone market are willing to get screwed as well.

25. Kendo macrumors 68000

Though I feel for the OP, when is the best time to BUY a used 5? I want to get the cheapest price possible when upgrading from my 4s. I am doing this so I can get on the non-s cycle.

Will prices hit rock bottem after the 5s is released, or is it now?