No luck with Apple Store reservation

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I've tried a few times to reserve from the closest store. Not only has there never been stock at the closest one, but I've yet to see stock at any of the stores it lists for my location.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Make sure to have a phone added to your cart by 9:50pm and then around 9:55pm start refreshing and at 9:58 the inventory will be up. By 10:05 all the inventory is sold out. I have been able to reserve 3 different iphones on different days using this technique and multiple browsers. Make sure you have a profile saved and all your info is stored.

Comment

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks. I did all that except refresh before 10pm. I'll try that next time.

Comment

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Me too. I hope this isn't a sign of apple in the future. This has not been a successful launch in my opinion. A month after launch there is no excuse for being this far behind demand.

Comment

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Me too. I hope this isn't a sign of apple in the future. This has not been a successful launch in my opinion. A month after launch there is no excuse for being this far behind demand.
It just means a lot of people want iPhones, and they aren't able to make them fast enough. Would you rather them wait another month to release it so that everyone can get them at the same time?

Comment

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I don't think it means that at all, but on that same point maybe they shouldn't launch so many countries so close together. Apple is still showing 3-4 weeks out after one month.

Comment

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think it means that at all, but on that same point maybe they shouldn't launch so many countries so close together. Apple is still showing 3-4 weeks out after one month.
You don't think it means that at all? Not to pick on you, but on what basis are you drawing that conclusion? By all indications, including 5 million sold in the first weekend, the demand for iPhone 5 is insane.

Comment

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
I won't mind the wait as long as I receive a properly functioning iPhone 5 that looks as it should (brand new) out of the box.

Comment

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
You don't think it means that at all? Not to pick on you, but on what basis are you drawing that conclusion? By all indications, including 5 million sold in the first weekend, the demand for iPhone 5 is insane.
On the basis that we've heard no sales numbers since and the Apple's stock trending down since shortly after launch.

----------

I won't mind the wait as long as I receive a properly functioning iPhone 5 that looks as it should (brand new) out of the box.

I can agree with that, but...I also think that should be expected no matter when you get it.

Comment

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
My story

I learned about the Verizon loophole last week and how to be able to transfer another family members' upgrade eligibility onto a grandfather unlimited data line. I called the local Verizon store outside of Rochester NY in the upstate NY area and walked out with a brand new iPhone 5. They had inventory when I went in and the next day I had to go back to actually activate my SIM card. Again, they still had inventory in stock.

Good luck in getting one for yourself! I do hope that it all works out soon. For the record, by the way, the local Verizon store only had 32GB and 64GB models in both colors. They don't have any 16GB at this point.

Comment

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I'm leaning towards paying full price to keep unlimited. I've heard some of them charge additional. Is that true?

Comment

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Welcome to my club! My first reserve was couple weeks ago and it was a gat experience other than a defected iphone out of the box! But now it has been 5 days straight that I can't even check out before it is sell out right after I enter my credit card infos then agree the terms! :rolleyes: that just piss me off.

Comment

mplenhart

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Logged on last night at around 10:17 and all stores in my area had iPhone 5s in stock. Seems like they are starting to crack the whips in China a little harder so that they can replenish the shortage in the States. Bravo Apple!

Comment

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Logged on last night at around 10:17 and all stores in my area had iPhone 5s in stock. Seems like they are starting to crack the whips in China a little harder so that they can replenish the shortage in the States. Bravo Apple!
Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite.

Comment

escape1974

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
Welcome to my club! My first reserve was couple weeks ago and it was a gat experience other than a defected iphone out of the box! But now it has been 5 days straight that I can't even check out before it is sell out right after I enter my credit card infos then agree the terms! :rolleyes: that just piss me off.
You can enter all of that beforehand and have expedited checkout turned on so you don't have to go through all of that. Then it's more of a one click process.

If you guys go to other stores, don't just call, GO TO THEM. I had a local Radioshack put me ahead of a bunch of folks because I was super flexible about what I wanted and I went in there and I was NICE to them about the wait list. Their online inventory was wrong so I asked to be put on the wait list for 2 versions, we chatted while he was doing that and he said the phone showing up was probably a pre-order and that if they guy didn't want it, he'd call me. He did exactly as promised, too. The power of niceness will get you EVERYWHERE when dealing with these folks.

Comment

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
You can enter all of that beforehand and have expedited checkout turned on so you don't have to go through all of that. Then it's more of a one click process.

If you guys go to other stores, don't just call, GO TO THEM. I had a local Radioshack put me ahead of a bunch of folks because I was super flexible about what I wanted and I went in there and I was NICE to them about the wait list. Their online inventory was wrong so I asked to be put on the wait list for 2 versions, we chatted while he was doing that and he said the phone showing up was probably a pre-order and that if they guy didn't want it, he'd call me. He did exactly as promised, too. The power of niceness will get you EVERYWHERE when dealing with these folks.
I used the app, and apple.com and for some reasons I still have to enter all my infos after I choose in stock!

Edit: so i got my infos save on apple.com thanx for the tip.

Last edited:
Comment

rmhop81

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Dallas, TX
It just means a lot of people want iPhones, and they aren't able to make them fast enough. Would you rather them wait another month to release it so that everyone can get them at the same time?
i've been to numerous targets, walmarts, bestbuys, and radio shack who never received a single phone on launch day. Everywhere is still sold out around the Dallas area.

Comment

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Lol go radio shack bro better luck there.
Quite a few folks here have been reporting that radio shack wants an extra $50 and a bunch of accessories before they will sell the iPhone 5 to people who don't want to be in a contract.

Not everyone who wants an iPhone 5 wants to be in a contract.

Comment

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Launching in so many countries at one time has definitely thinned out supply. Being this is such a high demand product and producing it has had its problems
it may take a few more weeks to see greater supply in stores.
Seems as though reserving and getting an Iphone5 is not that tough in most cities.
In any case, theres always online with a 3-4 week wait which will probably get better also.

Comment

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
I was able to one iPhone 5 16gb black these past three days. I got one each from RadioShack, target and Walmart. You just have to call daily and hopefully you get one. Ask when should I call back as they usually give you some time to call.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.