No Mention Of Jesus In 126 Historical Texts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lannister80, Sep 30, 2014.

1. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Thoughts? Believers: Does it matter if Jesus was a real person or not?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/if-jesus-never-existed-re_b_5883198.html

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they did not have internet back then, I am sure there are more writers/historians around that period that did not hear about Jesus either.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Do any of the documents mention Stan called Loretta?

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. SHNXX macrumors 68000

Not counting religious texts in the bible, which there is little corroborating evidence for historical Jesus.
    There is also very little credibility among biblical scholars as many of them are merely defending their own religion.

Any knowledge that comes from goat herding peasants living in 1st century should be viewed with heavy skepticism.

6. dec. Suspended

dec.

The "Christians" lucked out on the fact that the timing of "Jesus" & stuff was really convenient. These days wine-that-was-water, burning bushes, men-splitting-the-red-sea-for-convenience and other fun stuff would be subject to scientific examination. Not sure how well that would go for them...

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, it does not matter. Nor does it matter if King Arthur, Achilles or Zoroaster lived, either. The ideal is enough to inspire.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

There's no clear evidence that Mohammed or Buddha existed, either.

As a believer, I have no problem noting that it's not called "faith" for no reason.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

When you stand next to me while shaking the hand of an alien I will believe aliens exist.

Until then they don't.

;)

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Jesus was an alien with technology way, way more advance than us. He's got at least 25th Century Star Trek TNG technology. Burning bush, easy with hologram technology. Parting the Red Sea, ST:TNG force field technology. He's got replicator technology (feeding 5000 thousands with 2 fish and 5 bread), Kool-Aid technology (for wine, just add water), subdermal communication technology (talking to the Father or Captain Picard:p), resurrecting the dead (Doc Crusher brought Lt Yar back from the dead), walking on water (gravity boots).

We already the technology flesh rotting stuff from Zechariah. Sounds a lot like radiation poisoning to me.

Interesting how History works right? History is written by the winners. Had Christians had all been purged by Roman persecution back in the first century, there would be no record of a Jesus of Nazareth. This quote from 1984 illustrates this point very well.

I recently discovered and carbon dated a scroll from an undiscovered cave near the Dead Sea. If my dating technique is accurate then it would make this scroll THE FIRST PAGE of the Bible. If my translation is correct it reads, "All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.":p An associate of mine translated as, "The characters in this works are fictitious. Anyone resembling them is better off dead.":eek:

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It doesn't matter to me. Oh wait, I'm an agnostic... :p

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Post a link to that great discovery.

13. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Of course it matters! Things are getting that bad here that I'm thinking our last hope is that the Once and Future King will turn up one day (as promised) to finally sort everything out.

14. dec. Suspended

dec.

Now imagine if I'd demand for you to live by the "Alien Rules Handbook for Society", that would be pretty crazy, wouldn't it?

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Tongue -> cheek. But if you're serious, I'll only post it after a peer review of my findings. Now I need to round up 10 or so people as looney as I am to do the review.:p Again, tongue->cheek.:p

17. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

yes

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Another Jesus thread.

All you need to know about Jesus is

yes, a vast majority of historians believe he was a real person.

No, he probably didn't perform the miracles in the Bible.

No, it doesn't matter that he didn't perform the miracles in the Bible.

No, he did not meet Pontius Pilate

Yes, he was considered a threat to the Romans as he was crucified as an enemy of the empire.

Last, and certainly not least, Agnostics, Evangelicals, Atheists and the like show their asses when they try to portray the Bible as some historical anthology. The concept of reading the Bible as a literal retelling of history is a recent concept. The modern concept of history is not the same as what it was when the Bible was written. The Bible is not a book of facts, and most real world Christians and Jews do not take their respective testaments as pure, unadulterated fact.

----------

This can be explained a number of ways. The most obvious of which is this. Judea in that time period was in nearly constant uprising. The stress on the area led to numerous factions each with their own Messiah (anointed one) leading them. At the time when Jesus would have been executed, it was unlikely anyone would have made much of a stink, and unlikely any historian would waste any time writing about it.

When Jesus was alive, the world didn't suddenly just go "Aw ****! There he is! that's God right there!". No, it wasn't until after, when adoptionists such as Paul popularized his story where things really got going.

And just as an aside, Paul didn't believe in Jesus the way most people did. He felt that Jesus was a good man, who upon his death, rose from the dead and became Christ. This is why Paul refers to the end of times as Parousia, meaning "First Coming". But I digress.

19. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm no believer, but I don't think a lack of mention is not to say the man didn't exist. Jesus wasn't all that important during his lifetime. He was just one of a whole bunch of Messianic figures that were popping up at the time (the new testament even mentions another of these figures, funny enough: John the Baptist). And just one of countless people crucified.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is one reason why I love Zen Buddhism.

The stories are likely the apocryphal, but when someone would go to a Zen master with this kind of question, the response would likely be a hard smack to the questioner's head.

The point being that questions like that are easily answered by the pain experienced upon being struck.

You exist enough to feel that pain, don't you?

21. Liberty. macrumors 6502

The red or the blue pill?

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sorry I missed the humor.

And none of you exist so please send all of your money to me.. I will act like it exists.

23. iMacFarlane, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

As an ex-believer, I think you throw "faith" out there as if that term is self-revelatory or implicative of credentials that are simply non-existent.

Fact: You are the "faith" you are because of the beliefs of your parents who indoctrinated you in to their way of thinking, who in turn inherited their faith from their parents, influenced wholly upon by geographic location and oral traditions, folklore, and mythology that developed in that region as human conscience dawned there.

Was there a man named Jesus? Sure. There were lots and lots of men named Jesus, as it was a fairly common name in the region at the time, along with many variants: Yeshua, Joshua, Jesse, etc. Someone above mentioned the lack of the internet as a potential roadblock for information flow. If there was someone a town or two away from you that raised the dead, walked on water, multiplied food to feed thousands . . . I'm thinking that would have been the sort of thing that people were talking about, and news would spread from village to village in short order.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It is my understanding that the Roman historian Tacitus, and the Jewish historian Josephus, both writing within a few years of the events they describe, both refer to Jesus as an historical figure who was Crucified.

I personally do not believe that the historical Jesus, if he indeed existed, performed the Miracles that are ascribed to him in the Bible. As I told my father in one of our Theological debates, for a God who had created the Heavens and The Earth over a long weekend, rustling up some bread rolls and a couple dead fish was not a very impressive feat. I instead prefer to interpret the Miracles differently: The crowd had enough bread and fish to go around all along - they just needed the small boys to share theirs to prompt the rest of them to do the "Christian" thing. Which, in its way, is a far more impressive thing for anyone to do.

I think part of the appeal of Christianity as a mature religion is that none of it can be proved. If we had YouTube video of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, or Mary and Joseph checking into the Bethlehem Manger, I think it would destroy a lot of the appeal.

Its called Faith.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is certainly clear evidence Mohammad existed, he founded an empire.