No more Early Upgrade "bump"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Every year up till now, AT&T has allowed me to get the new iPhone at the $199 price with a new 2 year contract...never asked for it, just logged into the account online and it showed the upgrade date as the date of the iPhone release.

From what I remember, this was always something they did for the main line on a Family Plan...so I've been able to get every new iPhone every 1 year.

Did they stop doing this? Has anyone's eligibility date been bumped? Mine shows I'm eligible in May 2013.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

They changed it with the 4S, it's 20 months now like everyone else.

3. dreamover macrumors newbie

i got this the first few times, but not last year. the reason i didn't get it last year was cause i paid my bill late last month. this year it seems some people are getting the bump, but not as many. perhaps some other criteria?

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

There is no bump this year. Some may have just passed on the 4S and held on to their upgrade for this year. Then again I've seen some stories on here where people were saying they upgraded to the 4S and have another upgrade this year. Random or someone is lying.

5. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

So what is the upgrade price if you aren't fully eligible?

If I click on my account now, it says I can get a 16GB 4S for $349 (already have a 4S)...will the iPhone 5 also be $349 as an "Early iPhone Discount" price?

6. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I got an early upgrade for my line even though my brother used my upgrade just 6 months ago when he got a Lumia 800. Ive had ATT since it was Cingular and my bill is a small fortune.

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

That's the "early upgrade". It's the subsidized price plus $250. The 4S is $99 on a contract now. So if you want a 16GB ip5, it will cost you $449.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Early upgrade = $199 + $250

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

"Early iPhone upgrade" is now $199 + 250 ($449).

10. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I mean I'm eligible for a 200 dollar iPhone

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Why do people think they are entitled to a new iPhone every year when they haven't met their current contract obligations yet?

Ugh SPOILED PEOPLE!!!

12. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I bought both the 4 and 4S at the subsidized price on launch date, but ATT is showing me as eligible for that price in May 2013. I think some people think they qualify when it's actually the subsidized price + $250. Apparently, ATT has stopped bumping up dates for the new iPhones. I'd love to get a firm answer, though.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I think the issue is exactly that--that AT&T has spoiled us in past years and we've gotten used to it. Once you're used to something and it's suddenly snatched away (well, for me it was snatched away last year), people are understandably going to be upset. It's human nature.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I don't think anyone feels entitled. Just disappointed that AT&T changed their policy and are being so rigid about it.

No reason not to feel dissatisfied with that. Why are people so annoyed that other people would like better customer service?

It would've made more sense for AT&T to allow early upgrades this year, while informing all customers that this will be the last year they do early upgrades.

That way, people will have a year to get over it and either accept the new policy or move on, minus much complaint.

15. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Very well said. They just stopped without any warning, so I've been checking every week to see if my date got bumped, fully expecting it to get bumped like it has every year for 4 years now, and nothing. They could at least have sent out an email or something.

16. musicianm macrumors member

Agreed - people will be mad

When a lot of people go to pre-order and see this price they are going to be mad.

It's not just AT&T, it's all of them, Sprint and Verizon too.

Even if you jump ship and end your contract early, they covered their grounds on that aspect as well.
    For those who bought the iPhone4s, we are 11 months into a contract, so ending your contract will cost you $215 to get out.
    So, either $215 extra, plus a new activation fee to another carrier, or $250 extra for upgrade.

Even the people standing in those lines to get one are going to be in for a shock when they don't realize they are going to have to pay more than the $200, $300 rates...

I am surprised there isn't a yahoo article on this yet... I am waiting though.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then don't call it "early upgrade," as that now means $250 on top of the subsidized price.

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I hope people are checking their eligibility before heading out to the stores next week. That would be a serious reality check.

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I just do not get it. Everybody must KNOW they signed a 2 year contract. The fact they once got a deal is no reason they should continue to do that deal. It would be like my Mom saying I was a good boy and can have some ice cream. Does that mean I should get ice cream every single day I am good.

This is just so wrong.

----------

I don't get this at all. They are just holding to the contract. Two years. Should they send an email saying :

"Hey customer. Remember you agreed to a 2 year contract and we agreed to sell you the phone for a few hundred less than full retail? Well, we still believe in a two year contract."

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Good sir, realize that iPhone users are a LOYAL and DESERVING breed. Many people stand out in the rain for EACH and EVERY iPhone launch and AT&T (Verizon/Sprint) needs to show iPhone users the respect they deserve. Yearly upgrade subsidies should be the BARE MINIMUM that AT&T(Verizon/Sprint) gives us loyal customers. CLEARLY that's the plan that Apple counted on considering that they release a new phone every year!! Doesn't AT&T(Verizon/Sprint) know that us LOYAL and DESERVING iPhone customers deserve brand new iPhones every year at fully subsidized prices!

Screw them i'm going to VERIZON(ATT/Sprint) .

21. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

I checked Apple's webby. I can upgrade early...but it will be $449. Considering Gazelle will pay me $280...It's just $169. Not sure if I want to continue another two years though. Hate contracts.

22. seal72 macrumors newbie

It happened before

I have changed my phone also every year, I remember back when 3GS came out, even though I upgraded a year before they didn't let me upgrade on launch day, I think I was gonna have to wait like 6 more months, I waited a few days and they sent me an email that I was eligible for an upgrade right away.

I think once ATT and Apple see no more big lines at their stores and how disappointed sales are, they will change their minds and allow everyone to get full upgrades...

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

(following applies to U.S. based customers)

For a number of years, I would not do a contract. Then after realizing I had been with the same carrier for 5-10 years it dawned on me that I was being really stubborn and illogical. Foolish might be a better term. After all, I was not going to changing from one carrier to another anytime soon.

So, now we understand the 2 year thing is just a thing.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sales will be through the roof. Trust me on this one.

25. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Mine got bumped from 5/18/2013 to 12/18/12. I don't know how or why but I'm still purchasing on launch so it doesn't help me much.