No more gas or diesel cars in California?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 29, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article175740811.html#emlnl=Alerts_Newsletter
    this and other "bright" ideas from democrat controlled state :rolleyes:

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Plenty of these bans for 2025-40 already been announced all over the world.

IF batteries improve both on price and capacity it's a nobrainer.
    If not everyone will be paddling back.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

batteries would need to be bio degradable and the production of batteries better be eco friendlier that using gas or we are simply kidding ourselves.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They'll have to put in a good deal of incentives or alternatives to buying a new car, because millions of Californians wouldn't be able to afford one even if given 10 years to prepare for it.

I would also question the wisdom of forcing me to get rid of my 1996 Toyota Corolla (182k miles, ~30MPG) over buying a new electric car. I suspect that it would take a number of years for the EV's carbon footprint—just in the resources needed to build the car—is smaller than the gas and oil needed to fuel my existing car. I'd be interested in knowing if people have done the math on that.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ummm yeah. Not just that but how are they going to deal with the millions of classic cars, old exotics, sports cars, etc etc? Just tell everyone that the cars are now worthless since they cant be driven on the public roads ever again? Yeah effing right. Good Luck. Sorry sir, that 1956 Chevy you just paid $75K for 2 years ago is now illegal. Enjoy staring at it in your garage. Please.

This has ZERO chance of happening unless they are willing to financially conpensate everyone on the planet that owns a classic or special interest vehicle. Even then, you'd destrpy an entire industry. Ther'ed be a revolt. Im a car guy and I'd freak out if this ever happens! :(

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

math & facts are irrelevant to plenty of CA clowns going by their feelings when it comes to pretending to do something about the climate.
    you only get 30 MPG? must be a lot of city driving, I expect just a tad better out of that corolla

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You know there will be exceptions for some cars.

I would also expect an increase in sales of trailers needed to transport them.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...r-production-waste-offset-hybrid-benefits.htm

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

So how many kms of travel do electric cars have to do before the offset the difference between them and their internal combustion competitors... and over the lifetime use of the car which comes out on top in terms of emissions? And I'm not being a pest about this, I wanna know, even in factoring the electrical generation and fossil fuel generation/refining and transportation.

While I'm all for saving the planet (it's where I keep all my stuff); one dirty secret I have is that I like the visceral sensations of the internal combustion engine. :oops:

Right now I remember the sounds of rumbling American V8's , the whine of a Mazda Rx2's rotary engine, and of course the throaty tenor of Alfas. But I also like breathing, and winters, and a stable food supply. In 5 years I plan to look seriously at electric cars because I recognize that for far too long we (as an "intelligent" species) have been ignoring and unwilling to comprehend the sheer impact the use of fossil fuels have had on the planet. Electric cars won't have the same noise, smells and feel as the cars of yesterday and I'll miss that, but for now I'll seek cleaner methods to get groceries.

One day though I hope we can carbon offset whatever bio-fuel of the future so I can keep some of those beautiful machines on the road.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

The article say nothing about banning *existing* cars from the roads. All it talks about is banning *New* car sales of internal combustion engines. I can never see any state (even CA) from banning internal combustion engines from the road. I would imagine in the next 20+ years all car manufactures the majority of their models will be all electric or hybrid so this ban might mean nothing by 2040.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

What is the autonomy of an electric car?
    How long does it takes to recharge it fully?

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if I go by my feelings & complete ignorance on the matter I would say that vegetable oil conversions & hydrogen fuel cars are far superior to electrics when it comes to lowering carbon footprint from manufacturing vs electric. the only thing I can source are mu feelings sadly and a few links
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070307/133704.shtml

http://inhabitat.com/converting-your-vehicle-to-run-on-veggie-oil/

hydrogen wise, I made a generator long ago that i never put into my car.

made one with my daughter.

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

A glimpse of the future.

--- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    Hydrogen is a much better solution to the carbon issue than electrics. All we really need is the infrastructure. Sadly, the buildout has been rather slow. Honda's hydrogen car is really cool, they're just waiting for the stations to appear. If they ever get ramped up then we'll see the electrics fall behind.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I have always wondered that, yet as you note, the data is not forthcoming. Where I live, you are burning coal to provide the electricity to charge the car. So how does that help. Now if the charing stations out there are solar, then maybe.

But if no other state requires this, the gas cars will just move over a couple of states. And what are you going to do with all the infrastructure of the gas stations? That is a lot of tanks to remove from the ground.

15. 0007776 Suspended

As long as it is just for new cars that’s not a bad thing. If they try to ban classic cars that would be a problem.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I like the idea of Hydrogen cars, as long as we can produce the hydrogen from clean electrical sources.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not read the source material.

18. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I'm a huge petrol head, but eventually people like this OP will sound like people fighting for the relevance of horses and buggies in the 1910s. Switching to electric vehicles is something that will save our nation economically and environmentally. Without need for oil our trade defacits will vanish and we won't have to spend billions on disaster recovery. Why fight this?

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Due to the incredibly LOW number of such cars actually still around and being drivem there is NO way they have any impact on the environment. None. A few thousand miles a year in a1958 Chevy isnt going to make the air unbreathable or the food supply go bad. If everyone was driving such cars to work everyday then thats different. But they arent so the effect of an old Muscle car or some classic Ferrari just wont make a difference.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Correction an internal combustion car has a minuscule impact on the global environment. However the minuscule impact of a billion + cars adds up.

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Nice!

3C1D6B2B-16C8-40C1-927F-3776EBEB7D8C.jpeg

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just to clarify, I'm all for the goal of moving away from gasoline. But the economic reality is that such a move will either require the government heavily subsidize the effort or be very patient about the transition period because people will not be able to afford it.

23. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez