No More Gov't Shutdowns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well well.

For the next two years we have a budget and the Gov't won't be shut down.

"WASHINGTON -- House Republican leaders told right-wing interest groups to shove it Thursday and passed a budget compromise that provides a partial break from across-the-board cuts as well as relief for doctors paid by Medicare."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/12/budget-congress_n_4435761.html

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good, now hopefully we can get rid of most of the extremists in the next elections and get back to a congress that cares more about their own country than trying to damage the other party.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No one cares in Washington. It's all about looting the tax payers.

Anyone that gets in the way of that will be treated like a pariah.

DC has some of the wealthiest counties in the USA with no silicon valley, wall street, hollywood or real industry. The wealth comes of pillaging our money.

I want more so-called extremists that actually want to disrupt the scams, back room lobbying, and corruption.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I all most fell out of my chair when Speaker Bohner blasted the right wing of the right wing.

(NBC News)

5. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

Yup. The Republicans know what the voters thought of that last shutdown. And they know they have to go home for Christmas.

I don't have the link but one Republican said it was the wives of a lot of congressmen that were telling their husbands that the holidays would be very bad if they faced another shutdown.

hehe

:D

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

It's just a budget though, right? There will still be the need to raise the debt ceiling, correct? That's where the shutdown comes in, not a budget.

I mean it's nice to have lawmakers actually come together from both sides and compromise on an annual budget instead of relying solely on the sequester, but we'll face another shutdown battle regardless of a budget in a few months due to the debt ceiling.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Even better.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpoli...s-tea-party-groups-over-budget-deal-criticism

[​IMG]

BL.

8. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

The debt ceiling is safe until Feb. 7th but since 2014 is an election year I don't see HOR threatening another shutdown. Actually they can't shut it down. There is a budget for the next two years.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

10. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

On a side note does every news outlet have to put a video on every story, it's starting to get on my nerves I just want to read something not hear people yacking about it..

On Topic: It's about time, I thought we'd never have a budget!

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From the looks of it yep, it looks like the Republicans are going to try to hold the country hostage over actually paying for the spending they just voted for.
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/15/news/paul-ryan-debt-ceiling/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

12. iMikeT macrumors 68020

This deal is a farce. I'd rather there be government shutdowns than have the Democrats meet on Republican turf and give the American people the shaft with more austerity deals just to keep up the appearance of a running government.

Disclosure, I am registered as an independent and do not hold any party affiliation. I am critical of Democrats for making bad deals like this one but hold Republicans fully responsible for the lunacy we see going on in Washington.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If people on both sides think it is bad but those in the middle like it then it's probably a good deal.

14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

The thing about those in the middle is that these are the type of people that typically need to be pushed one direction or another. They don't know any better and simply follow the herd. In this case, the extremists on the conservative side were so extreme that a normal conservative deal that Democrats agreed to appears to be in the middle but is still a Republican deal at the core. Hence, a farce.