No more Grandfather Unlimited Data plan for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by born4sky, Oct 7, 2011.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I have an iPhone with At&t since beginning with an unlimited data plan... and I was just trying to preorder iPhone 4S and got the following msg...

Some services on your current device may not be available and will be replaced by similar services during upgrade. You may add or delete services at any time by logging into your account at ATT.com.
    Removed Features:
    Data Unlimited for iPhone

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Keep going. It wants to remove Unlimited for iPhone, and lets you add Unlimited for iPhone 4S.

3. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

4. scootaru macrumors 6502

I wonder if the difference is the throttled bandwith for big data users.

5. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

6. SooneratND macrumors regular

FWIW, apple.com just let me have "Unlimited Data". It didn't make any reference to an iphone or specific model plan.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The iPhone 5 with LTE will require a different plan and you unlimited plan will not move over.

We all knew it would happen sooner or later.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have two phones I upgraded this way. Even though it showed that you still are grandfathered in. I called AT&T and they confirmed it. All I have to do is call them before I activate the phones so they can make sure the old plan is there.

9. SooneratND macrumors regular

I'm not saying it won't, but would you care to give a link on this? Or are you just asserting your opinion as fact?

10. utl768 macrumors 6502

another one of these threads

----------

and when that happens i will be moving over to sprint and cancelling att without etf since they changed the contract

11. marty084 macrumors member

I always thought that it would if the 4s had moved to 4G internet. We that are "grandfathered in" are grandfathered for 3G internet, 4G would be a new service. Thats why I was glad to see the 3G with Duel antennas!

12. Mr D macrumors 6502

Stop spreading BS with no source...

----------

Stop spreading BS with no source...

13. nickpro macrumors regular

i was grandfathered in for unlimited no problem.

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

same

Same, my plan showed up both online and on the phone order I did. I had to do a phone order as my 5$ footlong DIDN'T show up

15. btrav13 macrumors 6502

No you won't. You didn't sign a contract for a specific device. Nor did you sign one that said "switch to any other phone you want at any time, including unreleased phones, and there will never be additional restrictions on plans". They'll tell you to stick with your 4S and you keep unlimited. Move to 5 and it requires a different plan. That's not breaking a contract, that's just you speaking out of turn like you're going to hammer ATT when we all know that won't happen. They'll just laugh and hang up. :eek:

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

actually

Actually, when at&t changed the plans earlier this year their postings on their website said current users would be grandfathered for current and future upgraded devices.

somewhere here on the site and interwebs there is a post with that information.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, now go change your thread title.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I can not give the name of the source but his position with AT&T is so high his fishing vessel actually has an elevator! We have sailed for many years.

Sprint will be doing the same thing. The government gave the carriers all the right they need to charge for bandwidth. It will not be AT&T that changes the contract, it will be YOU! You are more than welcome to keep your 4S and keep your unlimited plan, but you will have to give it up with the iPhone 5 with LTE. The choice is YOURS! You will pay he ETF or they will ruin your credit and SPrint will charge you a $500 deposit!:eek:

Got Paypal account? Want to make a little bet?:p

19. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

The keyword here is devices. 4G is a service not a device, so if they do not allow people to keep unlimited data it is not a change in contracts.

20. JohnCalif macrumors member

I talked with an AT&T rep about this today. On my order for the iPhone 4S the plan is described as Enterprise Data, without the word unlimited. The rep said that was just the wording on the order and that I definitely would maintain the unlimited plan. She said before activating the phone to call them to make sure nothing is accidentally changed.

21. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Sprint won't have unlimited for much longer bro.

22. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

What's with the thread title?

Unlimited data is still a go if your grandfathered. :confused:

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You're only lying to yourself. Read your flippin contract. You are legally bound, like it or not. Pay up.

24. tivoboy macrumors 68030

nobody

nobody said anything about 4g, just about keeping unlimited data which one can. I don't think there will be an iphone LTE for at least 12 months anyways.

25. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'd wager that AT&T will allow you to keep your unlimited plan on LTE just as Verizon did for their customers. With such a small amount of unlimited data plans left it won't make any significant amount of network strain.