No more grandfathering unlimited iPhone plans with AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gryfon19, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

My wife is due for an upgrade and called to ensure she could maintain her unlimited data plan with AT&T. If I'm not mistaken, customers could keep them when the iPhone 4 first came out with the new data plans. Has something changed? Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you had the unlimited plan when AT&T stopped selling it, you're grandfathered in.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

their was a story on Engadget and MacRumors a few weeks ago that detailed all the changes AT&T was going to be making beginning January 23rd, and I am pretty sure that it was in the memo that the Grandfather clause was unchanged.

I will look for a link soon

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I ran into a similar problem. some employees just don't know as much as others are lying to you. You can still grandfather in the unlimited plan but if you switch once you can never get it back. I know some people have had luck complaining enough to get it back but I'm just keeping mine as long as I possibly can. I'd just ask for a supervisor if you get any resistance.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The unlimited data plan is also not tied to owning an iPhone.
    Once you have it, you can keep it even if you switch to another brand of phone.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

The day they start canceling all those grandfathered in with their unlimited plans, I'd expect a mass exodus from AT&T...I, for one, would be among them.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

ATT has been very good in the past with not messing with grandfathered plans--let's hope that continues. :)

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I wouldn;t switch if they did this, AT&T service is just too good for me. Plus there this thing, callled WiFi. Dont know if you know, but it's like everywhere to use!;)

9. mtvalenz macrumors newbie

I just called ATT on this issue this past week for wife's phone. (Samsung non-smart phone with unlimited data plan) I wanted to upgrade to iphone 4 and keep unlimited data plan. First rep said can't do it because it's not a smart phone. Hung up, called back, this time different rep said no problem, as long as you don't cancel it, you can keep it with new phone. WTF.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That's not surprising--the first person just didn't know what he was talking about--second response is what should be the correct answer.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Yeah I do find wifi almost everywhere I go...to bad it's almost always password locked.

12. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

For years I used a talk plan that didn't exist anymore. I only had to change it when I opened my own account in 2007 for the first iPhone. As long as you don't change to a tiered plan you'll keep the unlimited plan.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The person you spoke to was mistaken.
    Grahdfathered plans stay unchanged unless you remove or change them. Then they're gone and you cant get them back.

14. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Not True, I spoke to AT&T twice about switching from an iPhone to a Blackberry before my company allowed iPhones for Work, and they said if I switch from an iPhone Unlimited to a BB, I lose the Unlimited Data, the only way you keep the Unlimited Data is by moving from whatever you were on at the time, to the same MFG model, so iPhone to iPhone and BB to BB, I was told this twice and so was the guy who handles the phones in our office.

Eventually they will phase out these Granfathered unlimited plans, they all want to go to a better cost model.

I just can not wait to hear what Verizon winds up doing however I do not think they will have nearly as many iPhones as AT&T does, but I am sure they will restrict data and make you pay, it is the VZ way.

15. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt they will ever phase out unlimited data plans. My dad has had some unlimited minutes plan for freaking dirt cheap because he got it years and years ago and is grandfathered in. they will never take it away from him.

16. kevintech macrumors 6502

I switched from a blackberry to an iPhone 4 on AT&T and I was able to keep unlimited data. And this was only a few months ago.

17. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

In July of last year after AT&T eliminated unlimited data plans I went from an iPhone 4 to a Captivate then back to an iPhone 4. I kept unlimited data the whole time.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

So not true.
    My unlimited data plan was transferred from my iPhone to my Samsung Focus.
    AT&T simply did a hardware upgrade on my account and left everything else as it was.

19. Gryfon19 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: The AT&T lady on the phone was incorrect. My wife and I went into the AT&T store and the unlimited data plan was no issue. Grandfathered in with the new iPhone 4, no problem.

20. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Good to hear. I hope we'll be able to keep the unlimited data for several more years, though I suspect we'll be cut off with the move to LTE later this year.