No More Ice

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zblaxberg, Dec 12, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

2013 probably is a little too soon, but it looks like it is happening. And the sad thing is, unless we closed down all the coal plants and all bought electric cars tomorrow, we can't stop it from happening.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Nope. I'm afraid that by the time anything is done about it, it will be too late.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As always nothing will get done.

*toasts to our future*

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Humans love living at the brink.

Lets use humpback whales for example. We allow ourselves to hunt them until it's too late and they're in danger of being extinct. Now that there are 40,000 of them again, we think "They're not on the brink of extinction anymore. We can hunt them again until the species is in danger of extinction again, and are put back on the list."

Same with climate change. We know we're screwed, but I bet we won't do anything about it until we're all living on the hill-tops because our world is deep in water. We don't really like to react until we've passed the line.

I just feel bad for the countries that aren't that industrialized, who will have to suffer because the people in 10-15 nations --- people like you and me ---- decided that they can screw the world over for their own gain.

6. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Poorer countries don't use as much energy as us, but don't forget many are deforesting at a rapid rate, converting forests and wetlands to farmland. This isn't helping much, either.

But when their people are starving, it's hard to blame them...

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Gotta love the fact that the generation thats being born now, pretty much don't have anything to live for, ice caps melting, oil prices continuing to skyrocket, the economical crash from all this is going to cripple everyone.

Glad I've got another 30 years of steady decay though :D

...I'll only live till I'm 50, heart defect :D

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

don't worry, they'll fix you just enough so you can keep decaying for another 30 years.

and didn't someone on these pages recently prove beyond any reasonable doubt that global warming is just a myth?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Word on the street is that someone here at MR did a great job of disproving global warming, but that's probably just a myth.

10. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Santa, if you need to relocate your operations, you can use my basement. Really, no problem.

You are a non-smoker nowadays, right?

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Our neighbors have a fugly fugly jacuzzi shack you can use for the reindeer, you know, just let them crap all over their lawn :D

12. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    The sad part is that scientists have been raising red flags for over a decade.

I'm really glad the house my partner and I just bought is almost 100 feet over sea level because when those oceans rise a lot more people are going to suffer.

And yet, somehow, I've also become numb to the environment. Like, giving up the fight because the destruction we've sewn is completely inevitable now. Maybe I'm just cynical, but in the end, is all the hooplah over fuel economy, electric cars, compact florescent bulbs, solar power and "protecting our environment" nothing more than re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic these days?

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

We just have to melt enough ice to where it will shut down the global conveyor belt. Problem solved. We'll not have enough time worrying about global warming when we're freezing our asses off in the ice age that will occur once the belt stops since it keeps all of us nice and toasty( especially Europe).

14. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I've also heard that theory before on one of the science channels. Funny how the way they explain it makes sense and also how those scientists talking about how the earth will heat up to an unlivable temperature also seem to make sense.

Not trying to get flamed here, just stating my own observation :)

15. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Ahhh... now that reminds me of Chuck Palahniuk novel :p

16. Pani macrumors member

Pani

2Jaded writes "Poorer countries don't use as much energy as us, but don't forget many are deforesting at a rapid rate, converting forests and wetlands to farmland. This isn't helping much, either."

Yes, BUT those countries were deforesting in large part because the poorest countries in the world were in huge debt to the world's richest countries. Up until a year or so ago, they were spending more money servicing their debt then they were on healthcare, education, or feeding their people. For every $1 going in aid, $1.3 was coming back in debt and interest. So they had to do things like deforest because they had no choice. Sell their natural resources at a breakneck pace because of their debt slavery. Of course, the media never connected the dots for us, because it is controlled by the same global elite who was making $ of the world's poorest. In fact, the media loves to blame the average person (not that we shouldn't take responsibility and save energy) to distract us from the real policies that contribute to ruining the planet. There has been some debt relief, but there is more work to be done.

As to both theories making sense, getting colder, or warming up, they are just that THEORIES. We are in uncharted territory, so we don't really know what will happen. Most scientific theories we believe in are imperfect or imcomplete at best. We want doctrine, but science is a wait and see process.

17. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

damn. I'd better take up those swimming lessons again.

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm in much better shape than 95% of the population, so I'm fairly confident I'll just beat you all to death to survive :D

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Or you could buy a nice boat. :p ;) :D :)

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We've been waiting and seeing, and things aren't getting any better. Thing is, it's more than just "Global Warming". It's Global Climate Change. Hotter and colder. But as far as the science is concerned, the debate is pretty much over. It is happening. The debate being made is if people are the cause, which an overwhelming majority of the scientific community know they are, complete with evidence, but there are still those dragging their feet about that for some reason(s). Asking for more evidence while ignoring what we already know. There is a legitimate debate, however, over just how much damage is being done and what, if anything, can be done to change or stop it.

21. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

:mad: God... this is ridiculous. Perhaps I'm just going to get flamed as being mis-informed and naive, but it's been barely 100 years since the industrial age when all this pollution seemed to really start. 200 Years since any major changes, and that 100-200 years out of thousands and millions and billions of years? THAT is what is doing it?

You have GOT to be kidding me. Next you will tell me the dinosaurs must have been creating pollution for them to die off and all those climate changes.

The world goes through climate changes and cycles. It just DOES and will continue to. Maybe if we've been at this for a couple thousand years it would make more sense, but this is like one billionth of a milli-second in the huge scheme of things.

If the climate is changing and ice caps melting and all of us doomed to live on hills 200 feet above the current sea level and go into another ice age after that, then we are, but saying that the last 100 years of industry managed to speed things up THAT much, is a load of crock.

Global warming is happening I'm sure. That's proven, but it sure as heck isn't our fault. It's happening because that's how the world works. If we sped it up in the last 100 years, we didn't speed it up anymore then bringing it perhaps another couple hundred years sooner (and that's probably an overestimate), which, once again in the scheme of things is nothing.

For people and a side of an issue that loves to preach us not being any better then any other living creature on earth and that we should consider it all equal and make as small a footprint as possible because we don't deserve anything special.. blah blah blah... you sure seem to be pretty hypocritical in thinking that we are so amazing and powerful that we managed to completely change the natural cycle of the planet in a few hundred years. :p :eek:

The world will cycle, we will die out, we will suffer, whether our tech allows us to keep that from happening longer, or we end up being able to create colonies on planets as the sun changes like some crazy sci fi movie has yet to be seen, but the world as we know it will end someday, the earth will die and get devoured by the sun, so on and so forth. Life will end and new creatures will appear, dinosaurs ruled, we ruled, something else will rule. Deal with it. :cool:

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't actually know anyone who thinks that, let alone says it, but you'd think they would be complaining that we should be leaving as little a footprint as possible but aren't. :confused: And again, there's pretty conclusive evidence that we are having a negative impact in our short time of industrialization. You don't pour that much crap into the air and water and expect nothing. Even if we weren't, don't you want to decrease our dependence on foreign oil? Create new technologies and job opportunities? There's really no downside to research and dev of such things in the long term. Unless you're an oil company who can't evolve. And eventually, since we are going to have to find alternatives anyway because oil is a finite resources, why not start now?

Doing nothing is the view that doesn't make any sense.

23. Keebler macrumors 68030

i agree with almost all of this. i do think, unfortunately, that we are maybe speeding things up with our consumption levels. Even if we aren't, it would be interesting to see if we could decrease our consumption overall....if anything, b/c most of it isn't necessary.

that said, you raise some great points. the historical data just isn't there. I've had older people tell me that the 20s and 30s (ie. the great depression in north america) was very hot and the 60s/70s were the coldest decades they could remember.

i know here in Canada, we're finally having a normal winter again. Nice to see after the last few pretty much 'green' Christmas'. I saw a small blurb that El Nina (not the other one) is to 'blame' for bringing us a colder, snowier winter.

One thing is for sure: the next decade will be interesting for our climate (and our pocketbooks as certain organization seems hell bent on taxing us to supposedly put $$$ towards curbing these issues (and to pad their stockholders wallets ie. Al Gore).

Cheers,
    Keebler

24. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

hey keebler, wanna go in with me a and buy some good potential new coastline up the BC coast?:D
    Canada is gonna have beaches for days...

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't think anyone is going to argue that we are the only ones causing the Earth's climate to change. It's a pretty natural process. BUT, humans have accelerated it and there is no telling how big of a shift in climate we are going to see and how much was our fault. I don't think we are going to see a radical change in climate like the asteroid impact that caused chaos to Earth's climate and the extinction of the dinosaurs. But, the change will be enough to effect every species on Earth. Why not play it safe and start going green? If this climate change is 100% natural and we go green, there is no harm done. If humans have accelerated and disrupted Earth's natural processes, and we laugh it off and don't do anything, we're screwed.