No more Moon landings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iOrlando, Jan 29, 2010.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

nasa estimates it would cost every single person in america $175-$180 to get to the moon again.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You do know that NASA has been the best investment the government ever done. For ever dollar that goes in 25 comes out. It has been the greatest push for new techologies and a huge driving force of technologies.

Also killing NASA is going cripple entire cities. Obama single handily has figure out how to complete screw over the city of Houston by attacking its main 3 pillars it economy. Kind of sad that one president will truly cripple an entire city and the City has every right to blame him for it and not the economy like Detroit and others.

Obama 3 big items and screwing with it are Oil, Health care and NASA. The same 3 base economies for the city of Houston.

Obama might as well right off Texas and Florida from giving him help on anything any more. He is burning is political capital left and right and the man had very little to begin with and now have next to none left.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would disagree.

Many technology spinoffs from military and space research.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

We can just hitch a ride to the moon and Mars with the Chinese. :rolleyes:

The first Moon campaign was as much a nationalistic, political endeavor as a scientific one. We were in a post WWII technological race with the USSR.

Right now, not many people are behind another national jaunt into space. However, if the situation on Earth nationalistic, political endeavor improves, and we are either awash in finances or in need of another nationalistic, political endeavor in competition with China, the tide will turn.

That having been said...we did get a good return on investment from the manned space program .

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

He's not eliminating NASA. He's privatizing moon missions. His plan will give NASA $100 billion over the next five years.

http://www.themoneytimes.com/featured/20100129/obama-privitizes-space-missions-id-1098730.html

New York, January 29 -- President Barack Obama put an end to NASA’s moon mission Thursday and turned to private companies to help send astronauts into space, reported a White House administration official.

Under the plan, NASA would receive $100 billion over the next five years. In addition to that, another $6 billion funding will also be provided for the space agency. This funding will help companies develop rockets which can ferry astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS).

The shift would “put NASA on a more sustainable and ambitious path to the future,” said the official, on conditions of anonymity.

Program will also fund private companies
    The program will also include funding for those private companies that will take astronauts on fixed-price contracts. Until now, NASA had been designing and operating its own spacecraft.

The companies expected to seek the new space taxi business include United Launch Alliance, a partnership between Boeing and Lockheed Martin, which is a start-up company led by Elon Musk. Elon Musk was the founder of PayPal.

“What NASA will focus on is facilitating the success of — I like to use the term ‘entrepreneurial interests,” said Gen. Charles F. Bolden Jr., the NASA administrator.

Program criticized by many
    Despite the new plan by Obama, many members of the Congress were unsatisfied. They criticized the plan on the grounds that it will hamper space flight programs made by the Bush administration in 2004.

“My biggest fear is that this amounts to a slow death of our nation’s human space flight program,” said representative Bill Posey, Republican from Florida.

Budget increase will boost investment
    However, despite the criticism, the program and the budget are expected to boost NASA’s coming initiatives. It would also improve investments for the future.

“My initial impression is that this is a real significant indication of support for NASA in a time of tight budgets,” said former astronaut Sally Ride.

She also added that she was encouraged by the budget increase “in light of the planned freeze on domestic spending over all.”

“They plan to be sending people beyond low-Earth orbit, and they have a good formulation. I think the way to evaluate this plan when it’s rolled out is to ask whether the administration has given NASA the funds for what it’s asked to do,” she added.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

with out a shuttle replacement it is going to do some pretty massive damage to Houston and to parts of Flordia.

Like I said the 3 big things Obama is messing with happen to also be the city of Houston pillars for its economy. Having the 3 big pillars screwed with and damage is going to hurt. You would think that a city that has its 3 pillars pretty deserved and separated from each other that it would avoid taking a blow to bring the entire are down guess it was figured out how.

Houston diversity protected it during the Ression in 01-03. During every one of those years Houston added more jobs than it loss and before that when the oil industry was suffering and laying people off Houston other industries added jobs.

Houston has general been a city that is pretty sheltered from recessions because its big items either are more recession proof or go on their own cycle. For example Oil a lot of times fills the hit after everyone else has recovered so anything losses there are absorb by others and during the first part of the recession you have oil to pick up the some of the slack.

Houston felt job losses this time around but it had more things to spread the blow from it around and it has had healthcare to keep it going. the government has been screwing with NASA so it has been feeling that and those budget cuts.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I could spend those $170-$180 else where.... like a new GPU or into my savings.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have mixed feelings about this.

If this story is accurate (the link Rt&Dzine provided doesn't work for me) then its a shame this is being ended. Also, I noticed in the article that Obama would direct NASA to spend money researching climate change. Aren't there enough scientists studying this? Is this the proper use for a *space* agency?

I think the public believes that space exploration and the development of related technologies is a luxury for an elite group of nerdy scientists with no practical use--aside from a few discovery channel specials. That's the problem that NASA has always faced -- and they have traditionally had a hard time communicating the value of the space program to the general public.

Other than sending up a few probes and the occasional space shuttle NASA has shown the public few tangible results.

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I pasted the linked article in my previous post.

12. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i didnt say he was going to end NASA, i said he was going to end the lunar program, which was basically the future of NASA.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Don't worry Americans.

When the Chinese start beating there chests about thre future space plans.......;)

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Perhaps you should do a little research into what NA(aeronautics)SA does. The already do quite a bit of climate research.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I guess this mean they can take the set down? I thought it was a great movie for it's day with the cutting edge special effects and all. :D

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I guess the Chinese simply don't see the need to pay for two space programs...

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Shucks, I was hoping we could all pitch in.

18. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Allegedly Kubrick was in on the filming, course it was good! 2001 A Space Odyssey came out soon after :)

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

And we should care specifically about Houston because....?

You're saying that a city that has resisted most recessions because it profits from businesses that prefer that people stay sick, are in league with an illegal foreign cartel, and inexplicably guide space missions despite being hundreds of miles from where they launch? I'd say that Houston has been pretty damn lucky so far compared to most cities in the U.S. It's fortunate to be close to most of the lower 48's oil reserves and have a port for moving the oil. It's fortunate that LBJ gave them Mission Control despite no logical reason for them to host it. And it's fortunate that the government didn't try to do something to rein in exploding health care costs earlier.

There's pretty much no chance that Houston will fare as poorly as Detroit already has.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Houston my of been lucky but at the same time it was a city that business are set up in a very diverse manner.

Mission control is never going to be moved plain and simple and if NASA leaves Houston the amount of money they wasted will need to come up. The goverment does not own the land NASA is built on. If/when NASA leaves Houston everything that is bolted down or built there is lost and returns to the land owners free of charge. The agreement in place is NASA gets to use the land as it see fit free of any rent but if/when it leaves everything on it goes to the current land owners which happens to be Rice University. Yes stupid deal sign way back when but at the same time it hard to pass it up because if it was assume you not going to leave you get a crap load of land for free. That means billions will be handed away.

Even if Houston was not being screwed over right now this is a wrong move. The techological advance thanks to the space program have been huge and one of the best if not the best investment the US government has ever made.

NASA is now based in Houston and that is fact. I think it is pathic that Obama will be at fault for completely screwing a city. There is no agruing that it is the economy when direct policies put in place screw it.

Detroit the economy effectively screwed it and it was only one industry but managing to screw over 3 entire industries is pretty tough short of the government.

Houston is currently home to NASA and world leaders in medical research. It has one of the top if not the number 1 heart center in the world, same for cancer and god knows what else all housed in the medical district. Houston alone is over 15% of the US refining capabilities.

Effectly shutting down human space flight is sad. The shuttle is nearing retirement and the replacement program was just shut down. All the money put into it was just wasted.\

As for it holding strong in other recessions is the businesses that it does have do not follow normal recession patterns. Oil gets hurt normally while the rest of the country is pulling out and layoff tend to happen during that time but the rest of the economy is booming so the jobs are moved to another industry in Houston.

In the Houston non oil industry ahead 25-30k worth of jobs. The Oil industries during that time added almost as much. Economy recovers the oil industry feels the pain and lost around 25k of jobs. The other industries in Houston added 50k worth of jobs making it a net growth of 25k worth of jobs.

Houston is more balance than the rest of the country. The job losses in its primary industries tend to cycle opposite of each other.

21. MotleyPete macrumors regular

NASA Shmasa. I have a couch, a roll of tin foil and a full can of calor gas.

It's just you and me moon. Let's do this!

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Excellent; so instead we will paying $5000 for $5 parts.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Exactly! It was all faked, anyway. I mean, didn't anyone catch that bit at the end of the first "moon landing" where they said "The moon landing was filmed before a live studio audience". You have to listen very closely, but it is there.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

WTF!?!?! This is a big mistake by Obama. I agreed with Bush when he made the declaration. So what will replace the Shuttle now?

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

A cheap, Chinese-made knockoff?