No more system icon changes?

MBX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
It seems Apple has stopped letting users change icons of system apps since High Sierra?

I used to be able to change the icons (with other .icns) of mail, disk, safari or any other Apple app but no longer :(

Anyone can confirm?

Sital

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2012
New England
What's that for and how do you turn it off?
Here's a link explaining what it is and how to disable/enable it. You can disable SIP, change your icons (I use LiteIcon), and then reenable SIP. Keep in mind that when a system app gets an update, it'll likely revert to the original icon and you'll have to repeat the procedure.

Reactions: MBX

jmorales123

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
I have been trying to change my iTunes icon for months. I tried disabling SIP to no avail. Any other thoughts on what might be preventing me from changing this icon? When I copy the new icon to the clipboard, I can see it in Edit, show clipboard, but the paste option is dimmed out and it only dings at me when I try to paste into the icon spot on Get Info. (I hope I am making sense).

Here's a link explaining what it is and how to disable/enable it. You can disable SIP, change your icons (I use LiteIcon), and then reenable SIP. Keep in mind that when a system app gets an update, it'll likely revert to the original icon and you'll have to repeat the procedure.

Sital

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2012
New England
I have been trying to change my iTunes icon for months. I tried disabling SIP to no avail. Any other thoughts on what might be preventing me from changing this icon? When I copy the new icon to the clipboard, I can see it in Edit, show clipboard, but the paste option is dimmed out and it only dings at me when I try to paste into the icon spot on Get Info. (I hope I am making sense).
Make sure SIP is disabled and then try opening the new icon image in Preview, then press ctrl-A and then ctrl-C. Next highlight the iTunes icon at the top left of the Get Info window and press ctrl-V.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Make sure SIP is disabled and then try opening the new icon image in Preview, then press ctrl-A and then ctrl-S. Next highlight the iTunes icon at the top left of the Get Info window and press ctrl-V.
This procedure has always worked for me with one exception, ctrl+A then ctrl+C to copy.

Sital

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2012
New England
This procedure has always worked for me with one exception, ctrl+A then ctrl+C to copy.
Yes, thank you, indeed it's ctrl-C, not ctrl-S. I was trying to multitask while typing that reply, obviously unsuccessfully. I've edited my above post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.