Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sepulchre

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2002
UK
So the new mac towers dont have a VGA out? Does this mean I will have to upgrade my monitor or buy a DVAtor (or what ever its called) to use my old apple 17inch CRT monitor. Yes I'd like a new flat panel but I can only afford one thing at a time, he says - just dont tell the wife ;).

Please put me straight though if i'm wrong :)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I got this off the Apple build to order page on the new G4's

"Turn your Power Mac G4 into an all-digital, dual Apple Studio Display system easily with the an
Apple DVI to ADC adapter kit. Save on each qualifying display you purchase with a PowerMac G4"

-evildead

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
here it is....

here it is...

Attachments

• dvi.jpg
    dvi.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 253

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Read a little further down on that page, and to the right...
from the G4 'Graphics' section
Keep connected
Protect your investment in a VGA monitor. The Apple DVI to VGA adapter included with every Power Mac G4 system lets you plug in analog displays, while keeping the ADC connector free for an all-digital LCD display.

Don't worry... :rolleyes: you WON'T have to get a new monitor just because you decided to get Apple's latest tower... That is the same adapter that Apple ships with the DVI TiBooks... I have one in the laptop carrier...

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Just get an adapter. They're not that expensive so don't worry...I saw a DVI to VGA adapter on buy.com for less than $10.:)

Sepulchre

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2002
UK
Originally posted by MacMaster
Just get an adapter. They're not that expensive so don't worry...I saw a DVI to VGA adapter on buy.com for less than $10.:)

Wow cool, but now i feel like a complete muppet!:eek: Thanks for seting me straight folks.

Now all I need to do is slip a new G4 past the misses wihout her noticing :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA

IT COMES WITH THE TOWER!!!!!

DON'T GO AND BLOW ANY EXTRA MONEY WHEN YOU GET THE ITEM WITH THE ****ING COMPUTER!!!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by AlphaTech

I don't know alpha, do you think he heard that?

sheesh, sometimes its truly amazing, you shouldn't even worry about him. let him go buy his $10 adapter and wonder why he's got two of them when the computer ships.:rolleyes:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by dukestreet

I don't know alpha, do you think he heard that?

sheesh, sometimes its truly amazing, you shouldn't even worry about him. let him go buy his $10 adapter and wonder why he's got two of them when the computer ships.:rolleyes:

Well, I started off trying to be a nice guy, but they must have taken their moron pills this morning... :rolleyes:

Fine, if they want to blow extra money, let them... I just don't want to hear ANY of them bytching about having to get an adapter to hook up their VGA monitor to a new tower... If they do, the gloves come off, and the whoop-ass comes out (I have barrels of the stuff stockpiled).

Do I have moderator pre-approval??? :eek: :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Ummmm dude, I hope you were just busy and AlphaTech's post wasn't right there in front of you. Otherwise...:rolleyes:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by edvniow
Oh God, Alpha a moderator? (shudder) Great, now I'll have to be his Harley bitch. :D

Believe me, I have thought about becoming a moderator... BUT, they are not allowed (by arn/god) to get into "heated discussions" with MR visitors... :rolleyes:

Who says I need to be a moderator to kick ass and... well, I don't care about taking names... :eek: :p :D

BTW, Only cute, shapely women get to ride the Harley with me... in other (less P.C.) words, no fat or ugly chicks... :eek: :D :cool:

Oh, and I was asking for da Duke's pre-approval... :p

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by edvniow
BTW, I look great in leather.

Better then eyelikeart??? (see his cross dressing picture on various threads) :eek: :p

Sounds like you have the wrong hardware, and your software is a bit flawed... :eek: :eek: Maybe you need a warm boot.... not by me at least... :p :D

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
according to Apple's site for the new G4 it says they ship with a VGA adapter. It is about 3/4 the way down the page in the Tech Specs section.

"Hardware Accessories All models include Apple Pro Keyboard, Apple Pro Mouse, DVI-to-VGA adapter, modem cable "

(edit)
oops. read further. that is for a second flat panel monitor. well, i guess you can buy an adapter. they are pretty cheap I believe.

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
well...was right the first time. the new PM does have a VGA converter included with it.

"Protect your investment in a VGA monitor. The Apple DVI to VGA adapter included with every Power Mac G4 system lets you plug in analog displays, while keeping the ADC connector free for an all-digital LCD display."

there ya go :)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by AlphaTech

DON'T GO AND BLOW ANY EXTRA MONEY WHEN YOU GET THE ITEM WITH THE ****ING COMPUTER!!!

There are plenty of people tired of your childish explosions Alpha, and I believe you were already warned once for trying to circumvent the language filters.

Just because you purport to know things and have a certification to "prove" it does not give you the right to treat people like they are beneath you. If you do think so, then join a Linux "guru" board (even tho you know nothing about Linux) and go away.

It would be nice if one of you did the entire forums a favor. Either you end your idiocy and blatant disregard for board rules, or the mods put you out of your misery and ban you in concordance with the warning you were already given.

Good day sir.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i hope alpha wasn't the only one warned about "circumventing" the language filter.... cause plenty are doing it

kinda dumb to me. but whatevs.

ps. alpha- i've seen lemon in some heated debates and he's a moderator. so i'm not sure you'd be much worse. though a bit louder perhaps...

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by sparkleytone

There are plenty of people tired of your childish explosions Alpha, and I believe you were already warned once for trying to circumvent the language filters.

Just because you purport to know things and have a certification to "prove" it does not give you the right to treat people like they are beneath you. If you do think so, then join a Linux "guru" board (even tho you know nothing about Linux) and go away.

It would be nice if one of you did the entire forums a favor. Either you end your idiocy and blatant disregard for board rules, or the mods put you out of your misery and ban you in concordance with the warning you were already given.

Good day sir.

I'm with you!!!!

Alpha is a pinche carla de chenga!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.