No MW Tokyo Stream?

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
?

I hope MW Tokyo has something in store for us. I also hope that if they DO stream it, I will be able to watch it.

As for the iMac, we are still waiting to get ours for my grandma. I think we ordered it Feb. 19th. But, it was the 5-7 week one.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
not a good sign

if job's keynote address is not streamed, it means there are most likely not any big updates or releases happening.

i'm afraid its going to make him look like he's treading water if his main subject is the imac delivery snafu....

oh well, i'm going to remain optimistic about something cool for the professional user....ya know, i was a lot happier with the powermac line-up before i started reading all the threads about what they could-should-would be....

alas, i miss my blissful ignorance.:eek:

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
This may only be due to the time change and techinical difficulties in getting good streams to the US. Remember the last expo had some 160,000 unique vistors to the streams (or something like that ... check the latest news section of the apple website). Better to not stream at all than deliver poor streams.

mrk3

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
i'm sure tmw has never been streamed. i'm on the other side of the world to sf & ny. i watch nymw (sf is on 3 am here). tmw could be streamed. they don't do it. never been any big announcements at tmw.
just updates.

Mac DV

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2002
NOLA
What the hell is apple going to do? I love apple and its products, and hate to see them being sqeezed like this. As the article says, Jobs and Appple know that thay have missed the first major oppourtunity with Imac sales, letting the Hype die down and no delivery to speak of. I 'm sure it's not apples fault that the parts are on back order. But in general this doesn't look very good. However, I'm sure Jobs has some sort of trump prepared. Good luck guys.

pixelpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Got new i-mac's?

:( :confused: This is always happening whe Apple anounces something and they can't deliver. What's Up? I'v seen some with a dead pixel other than that
we've got three in our shop.

Go Apple!! Whuu hooo?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I think the fact that theres no broadcast means that nothing MAJOR will happen. Now, MAJOR is not what it means to US but what it means to STEVE. So, no new hardware...but we know that already. 10.2 maybe, Updated iPod (origionally quiet release) maybe iPhoto 2. All reasonable assumptions.

The idea that something spectacular will come out at Tokyo is just wishful thinking. With shipping time of 6-8 weeks for some products they cant release newer items. It sucks but thats how it is.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by mrk3
i'm sure tmw has never been streamed. i'm on the other side of the world to sf & ny. i watch nymw (sf is on 3 am here). tmw could be streamed. they don't do it. never been any big announcements at tmw.
just updates.
Sorry, you're wrong. Here's the link to last year's keynote:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwtky01/
Check your facts before posting.

Personally, I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a stream. At the very least, maybe we can get irmongoose to give us a play-by-play from the keynote (I know he said he was going). Possible mongoose?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by buffsldr
3/21-3/24 japan, which means it starts wednesday night in the usa
Wednesday afternoon at 4:30pm PST is the actual keynote. Still afternoon for you and me, Mac_User. :D

Like I said, I was expecting more from this keynote, and I'll be really diappointed if it's just Steve Jobs "saving face" and apologizing for the iMac shipping problems.
Then again, Apple hasn't been running any lines like:
"Bill Gates is gonna sh*t his pants."
"Get ready for years of credit card payments."

So, if we hear nothing tomorrow about the webcast...irmongoose, please, is it possible?

In true Steve Jobs style, I'll try to spin this: No big news at Tokyo just means they're saving up for great things at New York.

Or something...

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Sorry, you're wrong. Here's the link to last year's keynote:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwtky01/
Check your facts before posting.

Personally, I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a stream. At the very least, maybe we can get irmongoose to give us a play-by-play from the keynote (I know he said he was going). Possible mongoose?
Haha. Well, I'm guessing that by the time I'll be back from Macworld, you would have already heard the good news (if there is going to be any). Still, if it's not broadcasted, sure, I'll be glad to tell you how exactly Steve announced the new product! ( again, if there will be any)

:D :D :D

irmongoose

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by irmongoose

Haha. Well, I'm guessing that by the time I'll be back from Macworld, you would have already heard the good news (if there is going to be any). Still, if it's not broadcasted, sure, I'll be glad to tell you how exactly Steve announced the new product! ( again, if there will be any)

:D :D :D

irmongoose
I was hoping you'd have some means of posting from the keynote. Oh well, thanks anyway. Looking forward to hearing your impression of things.

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Just before you jump to conclusions... MWTokyo was NOT webcast last year, positively. It *was* made available at the site you posted as a "video on demand" the day following the keynote. Apple has never streamed something which would show in the middle of the night in the US...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by reedm007
Just before you jump to conclusions... MWTokyo was NOT webcast last year, positively. It *was* made available at the site you posted as a "video on demand" the day following the keynote. Apple has never streamed something which would show in the middle of the night in the US...
Sorry, but 7:30 eastern and 4:30 pacific is hardly "the middle of the night".

But, I could be wrong about the live broadcast thing. I didn't watch it on that day.
However, they create a video on demand version for every single keynote, such as:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf02/

Anybody remember definitively whether or not it was webcast LIVE?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by irmongoose
I sure can post something RIGHT AFTER the keynote... like where the computers are lined up... but... you didn't expect expect me to have a laptop in there while Steve is talking and posting real-time, did you?

irmongoose
It's been done before. :D

Just hoping...I'm desperate...it's quite sad really...:(

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
hm there are some very interesting things in that article that id like to go over (and please excuse my rambling/typos as i have been awake for 40 hours)

first it does not sound as if the imac shortage will take center stage, in fact it sounds like it will be a very quick side note.

Sources tell Think Secret Jobs will admit to problems that caused iMacs delays, and apologize for it almost all in the same breath.

no one should expect him to bear all, especially when availability seems to be easing day-by-day, week-by-week.

i also thought it was interesting that this article also finally tells us why there have been such shortages (no firmware or hardware problems as everyone has been saying)

The problem centers around a parts shortage of at least two components, the Pioneer DVR-104 SuperDrive and power transistors used in the LCD display.

and then there is discussion of promotions in order to win back any lost converts:

Jobs must now do something to reel those fence-sitters back in and sources tell us he'll announce promotions to do just that. What those promotions might be is not known. Sources say the details of the promotions were still being worked out less than a week from the keynote. Promotions could range from free added memory, to free software, to discounts on third-party products such as printers, software, etc.

i also found it interesting that the shortages at third party retailers while apple stores have tons of stock will be addressed:

Jobs is expected to say availability will improve dramatically in the next few weeks, and those independent dealers who have been cheated out of stock while Apple retail stores swim in boxes will start to receive multiple unit shipments in the next week or so.

so after all that i got the impression that all of this would be a quick announcement like "oops seems more of you wanted those imacs than we anticipated so sorry shipments will begin to build up steam and now we are announcing promotions to make the deal all that more sweet" a short and sweet announcement that most definitely will not take center stage as the article states:

For Jobs to admit the product has problems in detail would be financial suicide so close to the end of a quarter in which the company shipped far less than the predicted 200,000 units. For this reason alone, no one should expect him to bear all, especially when availability seems to be easing day-by-day, week-by-week.

so if the imac announcement woudl be economic suicide to allow it to take center stage that must mean steve has something else up his sleeve to make sure the imac announcement does not steal all the press.

steve needs to make it clear that apple is still inovating still working on new products (hard and soft) and that this minor problem has not consumed them.

in my opinion thats why we WILL see something (ipod? powerboook? 10.2?).

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Originally posted by mrk3
just updates.
Lasts years Keynote at Tokyo was streamed, I can't recall the address now, will do later.

Ensign

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I think we will probably see a stream, but I don't think there will be any major announcements (maybe a couple of updates)

It on at about 12 in the morning here so it will be a late night at out local MUG club!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Anybody remember definitively whether or not it was webcast LIVE?
It looks like you are both right....

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/02/20.11.shtml

First it was announced that Apple would be offering a satellite feed of the MACWORLD Tokyo keynote address at a new Apple retailer in Croydon, a suburb of London. Then Apple posted a Web page with information on a live QuickTime stream of the event for those in the States.
That page was subsequently taken down for a couple of days and replaced with news that the event would be available as an archived file:
This means that the event won't be available to those in the States until after it is over. You can find information on the stream at Apple's Web site.

arn

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by arn

It looks like you are both right....

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/02/20.11.shtml

First it was announced that Apple would be offering a satellite feed of the MACWORLD Tokyo keynote address at a new Apple retailer in Croydon, a suburb of London. Then Apple posted a Web page with information on a live QuickTime stream of the event for those in the States.
That page was subsequently taken down for a couple of days and replaced with news that the event would be available as an archived file:
This means that the event won't be available to those in the States until after it is over. You can find information on the stream at Apple's Web site.

arn

huh. so Apple made us here in Japan stay up until 4 AM to see MWSF's Webcast, and they don't even bother to let the Americans stay up to watch Tokyo.

GRRR. :mad:

irmongoose