No New iMac at WWDC .. is it safe to buy now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stark4, Jun 2, 2014.

  1. stark4 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    Florida
    #1
    Is it safe to buy now or are they gonna have another keynote very soon?

    Thanks
     
  2. Dionysus2112 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2011
    #2
    Or you could wait till the refresh in the fall probably along side of OSX 10.
     
  3. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

    AaronM5670

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #3
    I would wait until autumn when there will more than likely be hardware updates as in previous years, WWDC was software only.
     
  4. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    #4
    I'd wait until August-ish in case Apple launches new hardware to go with Yosemite's release/back to school.
     
  5. xtwentyseven macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2008
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #5
    I just pulled the trigger on a 27" refurb i7, 3TB Fusion and 780 video card. I waited for today, but need to use it, so I saw no reason to wait until fall.

    They may update, but I still have a nice Mac.
     
  6. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

    rambo47

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    Denville, NJ
    #6
    If you need it now, by all means go for it. Even if they refresh soon, the current generation is extremely capable, will easily run Yosemite, and give you years of flawless operation.
     
  7. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

    JoelTheSuperior

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Location:
    London, UK
    #7
    Essentially this. The current gen iMacs are still Haswell and still feature the latest Nvidia chips - honestly until Intel refresh their processors I can't see any *major* updates for the iMac just yet.

    I say this as someone who bought a new Retina MacBook Pro just a few days ago :p
     
  8. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    #8
    Do not expect a new iMac until November-December. Broadwell has been significantly delayed, and with the current Intel trend of "mobile first", desktop class Broadwell CPUs will most likely not see the light of day until very late 2014 or even early 2015. I'm not 100% certain because Broadwell isn't being heralded as much as Haswell was for power efficiency, so they may focus evenly on desktop/mobile processors. Best case scenario, we will see a September iMac announcement. If that is the case, they will be announcing MBA, MBP, iMac, Mac Mini (hopefully haha), iPad, iPhone, and maybe even iWatch. This seems unlikely, as Apple likes to spread out their releases.

    TL;DR: If you need one now, get one now. An iMac release is not even on the horizon.

    Matt
     
  9. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

    Truefan31

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2012
    #9

    Man my bank account will be crying this fall
     
  10. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    #10
    Yeah I'm a college student and I've been frantically looking for a job just to save up for this fall :p
     
  11. Micky Do macrumors 68000

    Micky Do

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2012
    Location:
    An island in the Andaman Sea.
    #11
    If you need a new computer now, buy one now…… safe in the knowledge that it ail be good for OS and app updates for several generations ahead.

    You can also be sure that sooner or later you will no longer have bragging rights to being the owner of the latest whiz bang tech. If that is of prime importance, no time is a safe time to buy, and you will never be satisfied.
     
  12. ChrisA macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Redondo Beach, California
    #12

    I like to say something like this too but slightly different:

    "If you need a new computer now, buy a computer now. If you don't need a new computer don't buy one."

    In other words the ONLY reason to buy a computer is because the current computer is not doing something you need. It that case waiting is dumb because you con't get your work done. And if you are getting your work done then you don't need to buy a new computer.

    The answer is to wait until you are forced to buy then don't wait.
     
  13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Location:
    cherry point
    #13
    Just bought the maxed out 27in after no new announcement setting up as we speak
     
  14. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

    Truefan31

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2012
    #14

    Envy. The 27 with 780?
     
  15. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #15
    There isn't anything interesting available in terms of cpus until very late in the year. This means you're going to be waiting a while for a major refresh. Apple doesn't make the big changes when they don't have new cpus, so you're stuck with a .1ghz bump and lower pricing on the almost identical models, or more likely nothing until December/January. I don't know why anyone would have predicted new imacs. New minis would have been more likely, considering they're still on ivy bridge. My guess would be that it's due to the cost of the Haswell chips that Apple has opted to use in the macbook pros.
     
  16. h9826790 macrumors 604

    h9826790

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2014
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #16
    If I were you, I will wait for the next update. Especially the very 1st retina iMac may release soon.
     
  17. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    #17
    A 4k iMac will most likely not be released until 2016. High quality, reasonably priced 60 Hz displays are not currently a reality. Not only that, but most 4k displays today are not 27", so Apple would have to do a redesign. The current design has only been around for 2 years. Even if there were going to be a 2014 retina iMac, it would be about 6 months away. This is unlikely considering there haven't been any rumors or leaks.

    Bottom line, it isn't happening this year, and most likely not for a while. My recommendation to anyone not buying a maxed out 2013 model is to get a refurb 2012 with i7/8GB RAM/1 TB Fusion/gtx 680mx for 1949$. It is the best performance per dollar currently available in the Mac lineup.
     
  18. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Location:
    cherry point
    #18
    Yes sir, i7 3.5, 3tb fusion, 780m and I will be adding the extra ram to bring it to 32 I thought my maxed out 2009 was fast, pfft it was child's play in comparison. Playing eso on ultra (40fps) while also watching Hulu and downloading 10.10 this thing is ridiculous
     
  19. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2004
    #19
    It's a tough one. I'm really waiting on a new iMac, and i want 4K support so i can't buy the current one no matter how good it currently is. The fact that a new iMac was referenced in the 10.9.4 beta suggests it must be coming soon because if they were going to wait for Yosemite to come out they wouldn't bother updating Mavericks to support any new iMacs. So it has to be before September surely.
     
  20. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #20
    You sir made a very good observation.
     
  21. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

    Truefan31

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2012
    #21

    Damn. Is it much different between 775 and 780?
     
  22. canuckle macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2011
    #22

    Just bought the same machine, amazing piece of kit.
     
  23. Roller macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2003
    #23
    Well, at least your decision-making is easy, though I doubt if we'll see a 4k iMac before the end of this year or the beginning of the next. I think that you're right about the iMac references in 10.9.4 indicating minor refreshes sooner. But even if Apple does release a refreshed iMac in the next few weeks or so, the performance gain will be relatively small.
     
  24. Kayan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Location:
    CA
    #24
    I'm still holding out for the refresh. Makes it that much better when you finally get to have that new machine.
     
  25. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

    Truefan31

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2012
    #25

    I agree but I know a lot of people want tb2 to drive 4k displays.
     

Share This Page