No new iMacs, should I buy one now or wait for new ones?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hellhammer, Jan 6, 2009.

  1. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #1
    I'm very dissapointed because no new iMacs. I can't decide between buying now or waiting for new ones. What's your opinion guys?

    I'm not in very big need of new computer so I think I'll wait but I want your opinions...
     
  2. spyd4r macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
  3. DYER macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    Well to be honest if you are not in desperate need of a computer then wiat. You will probably get a much better iMac ie with core i7 4gb ram as standard better hdd choice. I doubt you will have to wait too long. But i am shsure you will get ample responses
     
  4. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    #4
    NO!!! i hate waiting. When are they going to be released then?
    What a ****ing Disappointment!!
     
  5. jacobsen1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mt View, RI
    #5
    ugh, I'm in this exact boat myself. I was set to buy a new 24" iMac in early december... Then someone told me about this site and I read the buyers guide that said don't do it. So I waited patiently for today (missing a week and a half of vacation that would have been perfect to setup and play with the new machine)... And now NOTHING?

    My machine at home is a 4 y/o PC. I'm a photographer and I have ~10gb left on my external and ~20gb left on my internal in terms of space left for new images, and with my new camera it's filling up FAST... So holding out for January was already tough, but now????

    my question is when will the update be? Waiting one month was OK as I could make it in terms of HD space. But now, another month is pushing it. Sure I can buy 2 new drives, but I was waiting to get the iMac to get a 1tb timecapsule to go with it... So should I buy a new set of drives and keep waiting, or bite the bullet now?

    Basically, when will these get updated? This week? This month? or in a few months? I can wait the week, and probably through January, but if it's not January, I'm afraid I'll have to bite the bullet and get it now.
     
  6. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    University of South Alabama
    #6
    I've had $2500 sitting around waiting to buy a new iMac for about 6 months now. I was really riding on MW09 to give us the goods. &$^# Phil...
     
  7. cybertron3 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2003
    Location:
    Mass
    #7
    Next Tuesday.



    (I'm in the same boat. I was set to get a new iMac- but now I guess I am waiting.)
     
  8. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2007
    #8
    I can't wait any long (typing on a crappy P4 emachine right now) so I went ahead and ordered a 24" 3.06 /2gb ram/ 500gig hd/ 8800gs imac for $1899 refurb.

    Oh well
     
  9. YMark macrumors 6502a

    YMark

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Location:
    Arizona
    #9
    People have been told to wait since last October because everyone was so sure a new iMac was going to be announced at MW. How much longer you want to wait is up to you.

    I didn't think a new iMac was going to be announced at MW, and purchased one about a month ago. It has everything I need, I love it.
     
  10. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    University of South Alabama
    #10
    Yeah, I'm thinking about just buying refurb at this point too. The logic boards have a cpu socket. I'd like to see if the new quad cores would work in the nvidia imacs that are available now.
     
  11. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    #11
    This makes me sick..... I am not waiting anymore. Next Tuesday? haha funny.
     
  12. synagence macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #12
    Yeah ... REALLY disappointed ... no Apple love for us home consumers mac wise ...

    Really was looking forward to heading to an Applestore in the coming days to buy a shiny new iMac ... oh well .. save up in the mean time and play a waiting game .... think they dropped the ball on this one
     
  13. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #13
    I also have 2000e in my pocket just waiting for iMac. I've been waiting these for 8 months now and no, no new ones yet.

    I think I'll wait for February and see then if new ones are out. I just don't see why they didn't release them? Is there still something thet they are waiting for?
     
  14. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #14
    I am still waiting for an iMac or Mac Pro. Good thing I have an Air to keep me busy.
     
  15. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    University of South Alabama
    #15
    you would think that the added support for the nvidia graphics cards in the latest osx update for the mac mini and imacs would be a dead give away.

    MW09 isn't over yet. let's just keep our fingers crossed.
     
  16. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #16
    This saddens me and makes me happy. I'm sad because I wanted new imacs TODAY. But I'm kind of semi-happy because the updates which are most likely happening sooner rather than later will probably be bigger than everyone anticipated as opposed to just a video card hike.

    I still stand by late January. I'll wait because I can, no rush, still sucks though.
     
  17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

    Le Big Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #17
    We *know* that there will be new iMacs, and it's pretty clear there will be new mac minis.

    The question is WHEN?!?

    The current iMacs are coming up on 9 months old and the Minis are over a year old . . . this is as bad as the old motorola processor upgrade cycle.
     
  18. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    University of South Alabama
    #18
    There's no way that they won't update the line. Indeed, the question is when. I will just hold on to my $$$ for now.

    The disappointment almost makes me want to build a hackintosh.
     
  19. jacobsen1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mt View, RI
    #19
    +1

    so maybe it's this week? I can wait that long, but if not this week, then when? CES? Has apple ever had announcements not at a trade show? Have they ever done silent launches?
     
  20. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    University of South Alabama
    #20
    yeah, they've slipped in upgrades before without telling anyone.
     
  21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #21
    Look back at some of the older post MW machine releases when Apple was avoiding introducing hardware at these shows.

    Likely it'll the a quiet update in a few weeks after MW on a Tuesday.
     
  22. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    University of South Alabama
    #22
    it's always tuesdays.
     
  23. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
  24. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

    BJMRamage

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #24
    buy now and stop worrying yourselves.


    OR wait because the next release wont be as good as the next next release.







    the current iMac is a great machine.
     
  25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #25
    probably in 4-6 weeks ... after iLife updates and the MacBook 17 ships.
     

Share This Page