No New Mac Pro, and Now Apple is out of the Display Business

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by buster84, Oct 28, 2016.

1. buster84 macrumors 6502

Not much else to say, except it should be very obvious now that the mac pro series is being discontinued. This reminds me of those product pages from Amazon a few months ago showed discontinued and amazon was forced to change that.

www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/apple-out-of-display-business/

2. jwpoof macrumors member

They've been out of the display business since they discontinued the thunderbolt monitor. Added to that, when the nMP debuted, it was regularly marketed and featured in Apple Stores using 3rd party monitors. None of this is proof that Apple is done with the Mac Pro.

3. Dean Yu macrumors regular

Dean Yu

4. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Cahoots. Some key Apple executives are in cahoots with some moles of the industry. Total corrupt values. Flush those s--- executives out of Apple. They're going to kill it. Mac Pro is essential to Apple's business. It's one of the poles holding the tent up.

5. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Yup...Mac Pro is a flagship model.

6. DrMickeyLauer macrumors newbie

DrMickeyLauer

It's a flagship and it takes #courage to keep on doing pro-machines, no matter how much of a niche it may be. Sadly, i no longer see that courage.

7. BarryLegg macrumors member

Just gonna keep posting this quote and this graphic until you all stop acting surprised...

post.PNG

piechart.png

8. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

So was the Titanic.

[​IMG]

9. BarryLegg macrumors member

No Mac has been a flagship model for Apple since the iPod came out and set the world on fire. From that moment on, the Mac has slowly just become a pain in the ass for Apple, like looking after an elderly parent or something...

They're just waiting for the moment they can flick the switch on it without pissing too many people off...

10. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Then how will developers make iOS apps without Xcode on a Mac?

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I think people are disappointed and mad, not surprised. After years of neglect, nobody is surprised about additional neglect.

12. sunwukong macrumors regular

sunwukong

But this is no doubt significantly CAUSED by their abandonment of desktops, laptops, minis, displays for basically past 4 years. Of course sales in these will drop more when compared to the one thing they DO seem to care about and refresh.

13. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I recall when the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display was announced; Mr. Cook strongly encouraged users to consider it as a workstation. In this previous media event, it was mentioned much more heavily regarding how USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 could run two displays, two Promise RAID arrays, etc., providing a clear indication, to me, that it and the iMac will probably be their remaining devices to be used as Mac Pro replacements. The current Mac Pro provides additional RAM expansion and potential GPU upgrade, and a 12-core Xeon, but those are no longer qualifying the computer to really be a "workstation" in the traditional sense as they (the components) are so dated and there is virtually no internal expansion.

14. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

When Apple releases its first desktop computer running iOS on an ARM processor, you'll have your answer.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

By making IOS apps using Xcode on a new MBP.

That's what Timmy wants.

16. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

With Tim's motto,"courage."

17. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I'm honestly surprised there isn't an Xcode for the iPad Pro yet. Isn't it a "pro" tablet? Then why can't you be productive in app development on it?

18. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Not surprised that Apple is officially exiting the display business. It's been many, many years since they added anything of value in that product category. If LG can deliver a 5K display with USB-C ports that can deliver 85W of power to a connected laptop and charge only $1,299 for it, then how can Apple really compete with that on features or price? Might as well not bother.

I don't think that means we won't see another Mac Pro.

19. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

I think a better question is, If LG can deliver a 5K display with USB-C ports that can deliver 85W of power to a connected laptop and charge only $1,299 for it, why won’t the biggest company in the world do it?

20. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Other companies have far more revenue each year than Apple, wouldn't that make them the biggest? (Walmart is more than twice the size of Apple.)

21. ssgbryan macrumors 6502

ssgbryan

And that will be the end of Apple.

22. Beagl3 macrumors newbie

Beagl3

Isn't Swift open source for every OS already? Maybe they just release Xcode for GNU/Linux and make iOS programming more appealing to more people, while getting rid of the Mac as iOS developer platform. Or maybe but very unlikely, Apple makes not only Darwin itself, but also Darwin's GUI, which is in fact macOS, open source and gets rid of the mac as type of computer, but not as platform.

23. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

I guess it depends on how you measure, and why. I say profit counts more than revenue. After all, the point of a business is to make a profit.

Like this tangent matters.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    It'll be the end of the Mac, not necessarily Apple.

24. Bezoya macrumors newbie

Bezoya

I wouldn't change my 5,1 mac pro for a new one, even for free. I don't understand the need of miniaturize everything, at least for a non-portable computer.