No new width....deal breaker for 4s owners?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsmith1, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jsmith1 macrumors member

4s owner here, unless the specs blow me away and I mean just that, probably going to skip for sure for another year till upgrade status changes. Adding no width is a deal breaker for me, just length isn't going to do it.

I'm sure pre 4s and those due a upgrade would be more inclined to get it right away.

Anyone feel the same that it wouldn't be worth the full $ to upgrade right now?

As with anything, some are going to be pleased and some aren't.;)

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't have a problem with the current screen size so anything larger is a bonus, even if they keep the same width. I just don't want it to look awkward and out of proportion. Fortunately, the various videos of the iPhone 4 dummies show that they don't look strangely elongated like some of the mockups.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'd have to see and play with it in person. A family member is buying it so I'll be playing with it then. Personally I'm not sold on the next iPhone based on the rumors.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If my contract were up I would by the new iPhone (iPhone 4 XTall), but given that its not, I'm hoping Apple will offer a wider screen a year or so from now.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

more about LTE and the internals. If it was to just be a longer phone with LTE and an A5 chip still, i would have a decision.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not likely. They tend to retain the same design for two years in a row and slap on a "S" the 2nd year.

7. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Like the rumored iPhone 5, and hope it never goes wider for better one handed comfortable handling. Like the two toned as well. :)

8. mackinmike macrumors 6502

i think so.. it will be a iphone5s probably new chip and siri moves out of beta.

9. hamlin macrumors regular

I'll probably just stick with the 4. I felt the same way when the 4S came out. The 4S feels and looks exactly like the 4 except for loading apps a second faster. My wife has a 4S and I cannot notice any difference in gaming except for a few titles. It isn't worth it. Siri is useless IMO, it's really just a gimmick. If the iphone 5 is anything like the rumors then it's just a waste to buy it unless you have an upgrade available.

Hate to say it but people that buy the new iphone every year are only buying it cause they are a hispter or because it has an apple symbol on it.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

or b.c we always want the latest and greatest. I am shocked you can make that statement and are on a macrumors forum.....

phones is one of the few things I can justify upgrading yearly b.c the technology changes so much...that and laptops based on the tick-tock cycle.

11. hamlin macrumors regular

I don't find it that shocking, the iPhone is the best phone available IMO. What I don't understand is how people can become so obsessed with anything that Apple releases. If someone wants the latest iphone every year, good for them, it's their money. IMO, unless its a huge change like the 3GS to the iphone 4, it's a waste of money and they are only buying it to say "I have the new iphone".

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the iphone 4 to iphone 4s had these changes.....

better camera, new cpu, new gpu...what more do you want?

That is what I expect out of a new phone...anything less would not be an upgrade, but all of the above is well worth it IMO.

13. hamlin macrumors regular

Camera is better yes. The CPU and GPU are better but the difference in performance is barely noticeable, aside from a few games. Does an application opening 1 second faster justify spending $600+ dollars? For me it doesn't.

What more do I want? that's tough to say. They could of made a larger screen, new design, better resolution screen etc.

14. iAlphard, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

iAlphard macrumors regular

I feel the same with you, 100%
    I'm sure you can still have better one handed handling, even if it's wider. Why? Because, do you really actually feel comfortable browsing vertically with the current width? Screw one hand, retina screen or not, too small letters are still too small.
    Just like, when you browse a forum, and want to search something, you want to tap that search, but then you tap the ads or anything else is getting friggin annoying. Or when you want to log in, you zoomed in on the password column, but then where is the hell the log in button when pressing return isn't enough?
    And then you go horizontally, which is two hand operation. Unless you want to look like a fool browsing or typing horizontally with one hand....

Oh, and do you really comfortable typing vertically with the current width? Because i don't, i can't type fast enough without hitting the wrong letter. So a better width will result also easier typing, especially for male.

The screen needs to go longer and wider with more aspect ratio, 16:9 or 16:10 i don't care, so you could watch movie with lesser black screen. And as long the weight is easy, you can browse vertically just fine with more width.

15. jsmith1 thread starter macrumors member

even at full price of whatever it was $600? I like getting the value out of something at some point. Upgrade status, yea would be border but probably a go for that one, but the ones that skipped the 4s would be getting a much better deal for the next one, $ vs specs.

----------

Latest and greatest guys (of which I used to be one sorta), I know are going to get it regardless, this is more for those that are trying to justify $ to specs changes.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I wouldn't upgrade from my 4S if it was only $20.00. The aesthetics of the next model are simply bland. Boring, and of no value for my usage.

I've waited for the last two years, thinking that Apple would get with the times and give it a larger screen both in width and length. By stretching it out, there's absolutely no extra room in landscape mode. An orientation I use a lot, especially on my Spacious 4.8" SGS III.

I'd sure like to have that display on my iPhone. So... I will just keep the 4S, enjoy my Androids and wait to see if Apple clings to tiny displays or gets outside of their comfort zone with a modern sized display.

17. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Screen size seems like an easy thing to change. MacBooks come in 11, 13, 15, and (formerly) 17". If enough people seem to want bigger screens, I don't know why Apple won't oblige them.

18. EstaVidaLoca macrumors regular

I love the screen on the Galaxy S3, I'm just not so sure I can do another round with Android OS. I sold my iPhone for a bigger screen in 2010 (EVO) and I had a 4S less than a year later.

19. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I switch between my upgrade and my girlfriends... I have come out even, or made money everytime I have gotten a new iPhone, even the year I didn't sell the iPhone 3G when I gave it to her. (I had sold my original iPhone when I got the 3G and made a big profit, and when I dropped my first 3G and got a new one. I sold the cracked on on eBay and made $100+ because Apple sold me the new 3G at upgrade price.

So in other words, I paid for my original iPhone... Got the rebate... and haven't paid for an iPhone since.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's not a deal breaker for me, but it's also not a deal maker either. I will have to see if we have any other features that I simply "can't live without" with this new phone. Unless they go CRAZY with the innards, I am talking software here. LTE already doesn't excite me enough, and neither does a better camera. I suppose some other crazy things Apple could do is release a 128GB version (not likely, but I would consider upgrading just for that) or drop the price (i.e. 32GB $199, 64GB $299), which would also likely have me upgrading. 16GB 4S was a mistake, for sure.

21. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

If the iPhone 5 ended up being any wider than the iPhone 4, I would not want it. I like being able to use my phone with one hand, and the current model is the most perfectly-sized phone I've ever used.

I just don't understand why people want such giant tablet phones in their pockets.

I would've purchased the 4S if it had 4G/LTE, but it didn't, so I had to wait another year. I'm pleased with the iPhone 5 so far, based on the leaks and rumors, so I'll be pre-ordering next week.

22. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

A 4" screen that is 2" wide is not a reason to upgrade as far as I'm concerned. It's a near worthless screen upgrade. If Apple had gone 4.3" or 4.5" with a 16:9 ratio, that would make sense, but a 2" wide 16:9 screen? That's just ridiculous on such a high-end device as the iPhone. I know why Apple did it, I just think it's a half-ass attempt to join the 4" crowd (albeit, 2 years late)

So, a better question would be: Would I upgrade to the iPhone 5 because of the stretched screen? No.

23. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

What does being a "hipster" have anything to do with it?