No NFC - but who was going to replace their wallet anyway?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mzjin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

NFC may replace our wallets in like 5 or 10 years, perhaps.

Right now? Nope.

You've got your Drivers License, IDs, badges, Debit Card (you can't get cash with your phone, as of yet), Health Insurance Card, and Cash in your wallet.

So the purpose of NFC is to start revolutionizing your payment options, but without the infrastructure, the alternative of using your plastic is no less inconvenient if you're forced to carry a wallet with you anyway.

/Rational thought

PS. iPhone 5S will have NFC next year. And Apple is going to hype it like crazy.

2. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

The infrastructure won't suddenly appear after 5-10 years, it takes time to build it.

Introducing the NFC could've been a good start and incentive for companies to incorporate NFC connectivity.

3. mzjin thread starter macrumors 6502

mzjin

Yup, but that means iPhone 5 buyers today won't need to worry about NFC, because by the time it'll actually be useful, your phone will be likely 5 years old.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think Google Wallet is awesome, and there are many places you can use it. I would love Apple to introduce something like that, but I know they are taking their time.

But replace your wallet with it? No, not yet. Most places are not set up for that. But having something that works with PayPass like Google Wallet does would be cool.

5. lazard macrumors 65816

nfc is not meant to replace your wallet. It's meant to replace the way you pay for things.

6. mzjin thread starter macrumors 6502

mzjin

Which is negligibly superior to using a credit card.