No off contract iphones.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phearx, Sep 17, 2012.

1. phearx macrumors regular

I have been calling a number of Apple stores in the area(New York City), and it seems they won't be selling iphones off contract initially. Now this is the first time I've bought an iphone off contract, so excuse me if this is the norm and has been asked before, but does anyone have any idea when they start selling them off contract?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think for the 4S it was about a month after launch that they started selling unlocked ones.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

That's too bad. Last year the "official" unlocked versions went on sale about 4 weeks after the launch, but the stores were selling off-contract AT&T phones that indeed were unlocked right from the start. That's how I got my 4S last year off contract. I guess AT&T caught on to that and requested that Apple not do that this year. I actually want the off-contract one, though I have an order for the contract version at the moment.

I wonder what they'd do if an AT&T customer who legitimately does not have an eligible renewal (like someone who just ordered and will have activated the contract version ;) ) goes into a store and asked for one? They may just be trying to keep scalpers at bay. I heard that in Canada they are selling the unlocked versions from Day 1, but only online (which requires shipment to a Canadian billing address and payment with a Canadian credit card).

4. phearx thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, a friend and I are planning on lining up at fifth avenue Thursday. The problem is that I don't want to line up for nothing, I'm hoping they would be willing to let me get one if I waited that long.

5. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Well, there goes that idea then. I was going to line up at the SoHo Apple store and grab an AT&T at full price and then ask for an unlock.

Guess plan B now goes into effect. I'm going to line up at an AT&T store instead. I confirmed with them that they'd sell me an iPhone at full price which I could then get unlocked.

6. phearx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that idea! I guess I'm going to keep calling until the day before and probably line up at ATT. Thanks!

7. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Sure thing, only thing I ask in exchange is that if you see me you let me skip in line. I'm easy to recognize on the street, I dress in all white with black outlines and walk around with a bright yellow cardboard cutout hung on my back.

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

It's unfortunate but in the US, we are just going to have to wait a month or so. Carrier locked phones are going to generate way more money in the long run so they get sold during the initial craze.

I'd guess late October or so like others have said.

9. Mutherluver macrumors member

10. cwosigns macrumors 65816

There is a difference between off-contract and carrier unlocked. I was planning to buy an iPhone 5 at full price at Apple because I don't want to lose my unlimited data.

I'm on a plane now, but will call this week to confirm that you can't buy one at full price from Apple. If that is the case, I'll go call Verizon instead and probably head to a store nearby.

11. phearx thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think I'm blind? I obviously saw your profile pic ;). Which ATT you going to?

----------

Yeah, I would make sure with your nearest apple store, because I'm not sure whether this is just New York or the rest of the U.S.

12. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I pre-ordered an off-contract phone on Friday for AT&T.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I've got a friend who works at an Apple Store. Sent him a message to see if that's the case. If so, I'll hit Verizon. I couldn't pre-order an off-contract phone from apple.com or Verizon last Friday. Others said they did, but I'm not sure how.

14. phearx thread starter macrumors regular

Mind letting us know what you hear back?

15. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Sure! If he replies. :) I'm sure he gets (and hates) these types of questions all the time.

16. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

No unlocked iPhone 5's on launch day in Canada this year...:mad:

17. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

FWIW, unlocked iPhones will NOT be available at Apple Stores in Canada on launch day. It appears we are following the US this time around.

18. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

you can get a carrier-locked, off-contract iphone on day 1 (verified by an apple rep). you will have to wait if you want an unlocked iPhone (no ties to any carrier).

19. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Snap

20. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

Applestore Charlotte, NC confirmed unlock iPhone on launchday!

21. ElZeus macrumors regular

Are you sure they didn't confuse what you were asking. Technically there is a difference between Off-Contract and Unlocked phones.

22. fierycod macrumors newbie

Do you know if the contract-free carrier-locked phones are going to be the same as the unlocked price as well?

23. phearx thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks for the information!

----------

From what I read online they're going to be $50 more, but I could be wrong.

24. cwosigns macrumors 65816

They always have in the past, as far as I know.

EDIT: Which is not very far, apparently. I stand corrected.

25. phearx thread starter macrumors regular

I think they may have. I'm going to call again right now to verify.