(NO OFFERS PLEASE!) 06 C2Duo MBP 15" For my Rev A MBA, Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DavidFulero, Jan 14, 2010.

1. DavidFulero macrumors member

First off very important I am not asking for offers of any kind, this trade is between me and somebody else I'm not actively asking for alternatives, I'm just asking if its a worthwhile deal.

Anyway like I said I have a Rev A MBA and a trade is being offered to me for a
    15" MBP 2006
    2.16 Core 2 Duo
    2 GB RAM
    100 GB HD
    ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB VRAM
    With a supposedly "new" battery
    Should I do it?

2. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I have the same MBP model. I can tell you that it is a great machine. I'm not sure about the MBA b/c I have never used one, but will likely get better performance form the MBP. If ultra-portability isn't a top priority, I would say do it.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What don't you like about your MBA that you are considering this deal? If there wasn't some specific limitation that you were trying to overcome, I'd stick with what you have. A 2006 machine is not exactly cutting edge.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Depends on what you want...if you really want better speed then do it...otherwise MBA is an amazing machine...

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

On the info you have given us I feel its a worthwhile trade.

6. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

You can check the number of battery cycles with coconut battery - it will also give you a reasonable idea of how old the battery is and how much of the original charge it still holds

7. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

That really depends on how your needs. Apple designed the MBA as a secondary computer. If you need the "pro" aspects of the MBP, do it.

I'd trade for the MBP as it is a far superior Mac.

Habitus :apple:

8. DavidFulero thread starter macrumors member

I love my air, the problem really for me is the speed thing. But how good at gaming and such is an 06 machine? Also I'm worried about the lifespan of the MBP's lcd and inverter, My gf has an 06 blackbook, and the fan is really loud and obnoxious, and her screen flickers occasionally and her keyboard is a lot different. I don't want that to be my experience. At the same time I really like this MBP's stats...
    idk
    help?