No One Applauds This Woman Because They're Too Creeped Out

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 5, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I loved that. Food marketing is fascinating - especially comparing marketing images to reality.

But I do have a sincere question - is there a way to sustain and grow the amount of food produced by switching to something other than factory farming? I feel it's kind of a necessity.

4. Renzatic, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    We've made headway in finding ways to grow muscle and skin tissue in labs. If we can perfect the process, we could, in theory, provide as much meat as the public wants without having to rely on factory farms.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Between now and making a 350k$ burger less than 1$ to make, what do we do?

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Most people are poor and don't give a ****.

They walk into Walmart, they find they cheapest bag of chicken to feed the most amount of people for the longest period of time possible.

That's the reality.

You know why McDonalds does so well, because ultimately it is palatable to a wide range of people at the price they are comfortable with. If it tasted like unwashed goat ass to a wide range of people no amount of marketing is going to help.

Marketers just have an inflated sense of self worth.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Bingo!!! Which is also why the majority of food products labeled Organic is BS. No freaking way can they maintain a flow of truly organic foods to the mass population. Same goes for Halal foods.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yep, quite honestly I believe McDonalds can stop all marketing today and it wouldn't have much effect on their business at all.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The chicken segment from We Feed the World (in German, with French subtitles, but it prettymuch speaks for itself in images).

do not watch this if icky bothers you

Seems a bit like treating creatures with utter disrespect.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

The local Chinese food restaurants don't really market(I might get a flyer under my door once every 2 months) and they stay busy. They also don't even eat the same foods they serve to Americans. So yea your right about Fast Food in general. But McDonalds has to market because of other fast food competition.

11. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Did that video actually have anything to do with genuine "marketing" or was it merely a carefully crafted anti-factory farming marketing scheme?

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The only good temporary solution would be for the public to cut back on meat consumption. But you know that has about a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

...or soy burgers. They're not bad, but hardly an equal substitute to a good beef or chicken burger.

----------

It's very obviously the latter.

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Get that vibe, did ya?

Real marketing is actually pretty fascinating. Especially when one studies the campaigns that resonate in memory and buying habits long after the campaign is over.

14. samiwas macrumors 68000

SOME may complain about hunters who hunt for food, but I'd say that's a pretty small minority outside of the PETA types.

Hunting for food is one thing. Hunting for sport is entirely another.

And while I am hypocritical in eating their products, I abhor the idea of factory farming. And I am most disgusted by the guys who, during their hearing after video surfaced of the extreme cruelty their companies exerted on animals, claimed the people who shot the video just had an anti-business bias.

15. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

We eat animals. Yes, it sucks for them, but we have an obligation to handle the process with care. Yes these animals will die and end up in our bellies, but when they are alive, there is no need to make them suffer any more than needed.

Anyone caught engaging in piglet thumping, for example, should be punched in the face. That is insane behavior as far as I am concerned.

16. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Willful ignorance, I don't think so... I know who picks the fruits and vegetables and I know how my beef/pork/chicken is raised and I don't care!

When you are ready to pay 75 dollars for a cheap cut of meat and 20 dollars for a salad then you are truly ready for change. Until then nothing will change.

Speaking of marketing, who is this lady and who is paying her for this talk? She claims she is a marketing consultant to the food industry. Well if that is the case she isn't going to get many job offers in the future.

This has animal rights organization written all over it.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

She may have switched from one to the other.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Maybe she found Don Draper's "Why I'm Quitting Tobacco" letter inspiring...

19. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Oh - you are definitely correct about that. But it's still marketing. And it's interesting to see the different food "factions" market against each other.

Some of the marketing methods she mentioned were pretty accurate.

And the accent gave her all sorts of authenticity!

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

[​IMG]

21. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I'd eat soy burgers if they weren't so darn expensive where I'm at.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

From the link in the OP
    Full disclosure: The speaker in this video is actually an actress named Kate Miles … The audience is real …

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How do you know organic food is ********? That isn't mentioned in the video...

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Depends on what you get. I hear Amy's Kitchen stuff is pretty good, and not too terribly expensive.

25. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

I think it's a little of both. Some people don't want to know, but others know and just don't care enough to do anything about it. It's true though; unless people are willing to pay exorbitant amount of money for what is cheap now, nothing will change.