No one has iphones 4 in stock. So, how are you guys doing an exchange right now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Jul 19, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am having little issues with my iphone 4. But, it's not so terrible that I want to return. Do any of you have iphone 4 and exchanged it? Did you get new ones or refurbished ones?

2. headcheese macrumors regular

Hate to be "that guy"

But a quick search would have answered your questions.

Many have got a replacement (myself included) and although they come in a plain black box they are new (ip4 is too new to have refurbs + serial numbers on replacements are similar to retail ones)

You're welcome :rolleyes:

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Where did you get it though? I got mine from bestbuy, so should I go to apple store? It sounds like that's what you did.

4. headcheese macrumors regular

Also...

All Apple stores have to have replacements for customers who need an exchange. Replacement stock and retail stock are two very different things.

That's how :)

5. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I bought mine at ATT and had to have it replace 2x at the apple store, just set up a genius appointment.

6. headcheese macrumors regular

I assumed you got yours from Apple

Better call BB AND Apple to be certain.

7. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmm...
    Final questions

1. You just said you exchanged your iphone, why? What problems did you have?
    I have antenna issue, Proximity sensor issue (Rarely, but its there)
    I am trying to exchange it because apple said not all the iphones have been affected by this antenna issue, so I am trying to see if I can make my problems go away by exchanging it.

I got mine from BB. I am never getting from them again. This is because I couldn't get to pre-order thru apple.com. The site crashed too many times that day.

8. tomitom macrumors member

Apple wont take my Iphone back

so as apple stated on there press conference They will give a full refund for i phone 4 and cancel out of AT&T CONTRACT . i called to find out how to return and was explained since i pre-ordered 0n June 15 my 30 days were expired !!!!!

BUT i ONLY RECEIVED MY PHONE JULY 2 !!!! SO WHAT THE HELL !!!!!!

i am going to go to a store and give them hell if they wont take my phone back !!!!

:mad::mad::eek::mad::mad:

9. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I dont think it matters where you bought it from if you're looking to exchange it due to defect. You would have to go back to the place of purchase to return for refund. You would need to make an appointment at an Apple store or call Apple if your having problems with it and are looking for repair or replacement.

10. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Thats BS. Should be from the date you received the phone. I would raise some hell.

11. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I agree. I talked to apple and the guy I talked to said as long as it was in their hands 30 days after I received it then I would get 100% back.

12. tomitom macrumors member

Thank you for that input i will go to an actual store and find out .. the guy i spoke to on the phone seems to be on his first day .. every question i had he had to put me on hold to find out ....

:rolleyes:

13. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Did you buy AT the apple store? If not then it will be pointless to go there. I went to ask if I could return there (I ordered online) and the guy didn't really know if I could return it but he ended up saying no without getting any help. I have read in plenty of places though that you cant return in store if you order online.

I would call apple and ask to return and WAIVE the restocking fee. If they don't, then ask to speak with supervisor.

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Nope. All wrong. Your 30 days start from the day the iPhone is shipped, not when you receive it.

15. coasterider macrumors regular

Went in yesterday to the Apple Store, exchanged my phone, no problem. The new one came out in a black plastic box. I guess they have phones set aside for warranty exchanges.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just be prepared to demonstrate your issues to a Genius at the Apple Store. They will test it and likely go through some steps to replicate the issue. Mine was pretty obvious (no sound recorded during videos and FaceTime sessions) so they could replicate it easily. I was in an Apple store over the weekend and some guy claimed to have the proximity sensor issue but while he was there they couldn't replicate it. He pitched a fit but they wouldn't replace it stating that they couldn't do anything unless it demonstrated the issue.

Honestly though, the guy was being a real jerk to them. I'm betting if he was pleasant enough or had some cleavage they would've given him what he wanted.

17. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

The guy at apple I talked to said, "as long as it gets to the return facility by the 23rd (the day I got my phone last month) then it would be fine. What is your source?

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

First off you state you want to exchange because of reception issues. you said you wanted a different because apple said not all phones are affected. thats not true, what apple said is not all users are affected. it has to do with you signal strength in your area. ALL iPhone 4's will exhibit this under similar circumstances. Replacing your phone will not likely yield any better results.

as far as the exchange itself goes:
    here is the deal. You purchased from Best Buy which is ok.

If you are having problems and want a replacement phone then either call apple care or make an appointment at the nearest apple store. If you have a legitimate problem they will swap it. However, there is one caveat. Be sure you are planning on keeping the phone. If you are still within the 30 day to return and have your phone replaced at apple, If you then decide you dont want the phone you'll wait until they fix things you are stuck. The reason is you now have a phone with a different serial number that the one you bought from Best Buy. BB will refuse to refund your money because they think you are pulling a bait and switch. Apple wont refund it because you never bought it from them to begin with. So, be sure you are keeping it before you do that.

19. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

took this off the apple store iphone refund policy site.

Attached Files:

20. iRen macrumors newbie

I bought mine at Att and exchanged it at the Apple store. Apple keeps many "service phones " is what they call them, these are new iPhone 4's in the plastic black boxes to use for exchanges or warranty replacements. They don't want us to know about them cause seems some folks may be upset that they have to wait for their iPhone 4 to ship when there are some right there in the store. Well at least that is what I was told by a genius. I exchanged mine due to a battery problem not reception and the genius I made appt with verified it and approved exchange.

21. headcheese macrumors regular

22. diiamond89 macrumors member

diiamond89

why wouldn't you get it from BB again? just wondering cause i was gonna get mine from there.