No other feeling worse than buyer's remorse...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Timzer macrumors 6502

So now that I've taken a real good look at all these other phones out there, I can honestly say I indeed made the wrong choice in buying the iphone. Even though the phone is new to me, and my first smartphone, I can't help but feel I have an outdated looking and feeling phone. The phone isn't horrible, but it just feels like it's not worth the money I spent on it. Especially when I see phones from Samsung and HTC that have been out for over 6-8 months with the same or better specs. And now the Galaxy Nexus with it's new the new operating system. Good Grief.
    I wasn't in a huge rush to get a phone, I could have easily waited 2-3 months. But I just got caught up in the whole, the "iPhone is the biggest selling phone" and the "iPhone is easiest to use" hype. That being said, I can easily see how this is a great phone for many, but just not for me. I actually thought I'd wait till spring/summer until I got my next phone, but looks like if this Nexus phone is as good as everyone is saying, I'll be picking one up on launch day.

Ok I'm done venting. :eek:

2. identity macrumors 6502

Word. I can feel what you're going through because I'm still going through it right now! I did have an iphone 4 before but I only got the 4s because of the wifey. I'm sick of waiting to see if the Galaxy Note or Nexus Prime will come to Sprint or ATT. I also want a bigger screen like the SGS2 because the screen is too small for me personally. I still have the Transformer prime on my eyes so maybe instead of getting myself a phone I'ma spring for the Transformer Prime.

3. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Well i can think of worse feelings than buyers remorse. Like heartbreak for instance.

Thank you for sharing your story. I wouldn't use an Android phone even if they gave me the best one for free. But to each their own i suppose. I love my iPhone 4S.

4. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes this is true.

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Hey there is any product for anyone's liking. I have had android phones before and webOS phones as well and in my case I always keep coming back to the iPhone b/c of the iTunes music integration and of course other things. But with the proliferation of iPhone like devices, there is so much to choose from.

Have you though about trying out the unlocked galaxy s2? That is a great phone too and it runs android and has top of line technology, and there is even an LTE version available as well.

Each one to its liking. I personally die by the iPhone after trying so many smartphones out there, the hardware and software integration is top notch (I think there is no comparison out there), but you can always return your iPhone if you are whining those 30 days ok.

Good luck to you in choosing the phone that you consider is best for your liking.

6. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Sellers remorse is worse... heh, had to sell my 4s to pay for some family stuff, it's only been a few days but I honestly miss using it.

Well, family first, always, but still... be glad you have what you do. :)

7. identity macrumors 6502

I sold my ipad 2 for a cheap ass price of 350 and i had ipad withdrawal for weeks, still feeling some effects right now :eek:

8. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

No doubt, totally hear you on that. Hard times for a lot of people. A smartphone will just be a smartphone and easily replace down the road.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I guarantee you running over a puppy with your car feels worse.

Not that I've done that. Just sayin.

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

LOL, yep it's all about the specs:rolleyes:

You need to buy the other phones to see what you're missing for sure.

11. pacmacman macrumors member

So instead you're now caught up in a new phone's hype? If you feel the iPhone is outdated only a couple of months out of the gate, boy oh boy are you gonna love your new Android phone. :)

12. Timzer, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the hype I got caught up in, in regards to the iPhone had nothing to do with actual performance capabilities and restrictions of the phone (biggest selling phone, easy to use compared to other phones). I bought into it all. To me there was no other choice. But I was completely wrong. Just didn't do my research, completely my fault.
    The Nexus has peaked my interest for completely performance reasons. The review of the Nexus by the Verge, had EVERYTHING to do with performance. And it wowed the reviewer (a dedicated Apple user).
    That being said, you should have put my last sentence in bold as well. The part where I say IF the Nexus is as good as all are saying, I will buy one. The second I realized I could not customize my iphone without doing something that would void my warranty, was the second I started thinking, this phone may not be for me.

13. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

What your feeling is normal for most iPhone owners. Everyone I know with an iPhone feels the same way. Even me but some of us use some features of the iPhone and can't do without them. My business accounts and software is all intergrated between the iPad, iPhone and PC so I can't change even if I wanted to. I would love to own a android phone as the features they have make the iPhone feel like we went back in time but we feel your pain.

I won't ever understand why any iPhone user wouldn't want a android phone if they had the choice to change. I hate it when people see me with the "hipster trinket" aka iPhone because for one I don't want to be associated with them skimpson Jean wearing students and it's almost embarrassing being seen with the iPhone. It's like the feeling you have when you go round yours friends house and he just told you he bought an audiophile sound system then you see it's a BOSE setup :rolleyes:

14. pacmacman macrumors member

Listen, I have no idea if you'll love or hate any given phone. I will tell you that the moment you buy an Android phone, it is outdated. If you don't care about keeping up with the joneses, you'll be fine. If not, an Android phone is gonna drive you crazy a few months down the road.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

How did this thread NOT make it to the "buyer's remorse WHINNERS FORUM?" You had "30 Days" to take it back; what you thought the iPhone GENIE was gonna' fall in your lap and give you "three wishes?" I hope you didn't get your lunch money taken away from you in grade school....Gawwwwww! :eek:

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

That would have been a good time to return it and buy an Android phone that you think would be better.

Of course, even if you did your research and read all of the reviews, you still probably would have purchased an iPhone since it tops practically all reviewers lists.

Grass is always greener, etc, etc...

17. djuzi05 macrumors regular

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You should probably stick to sPeaking for yourself. While i respect others opinions and use cases, I don't share your opinion of the iPhone or iOS, and in fact my opinion's the opposite of yours: if I had to, I'd use an Android phone, but I wouldn't like it very much.

I've made extensive use of other smartphone platforms in the past, and have tested android devices on multiple occasions. They promise great features and enhancements and will blow away the iPhone on paper, but in terms of actual usage, there are usually significant bugs, kludges or a lack of actual functionality that make it frustrating experience over time.

I've grown tired of that. I've grown weary of chasing the phone that has the hottest specs this week, for the sake of being able to brag about GHz or numbers of processor cores. And I've got better things to spend my cash on than trading in my "old" phone for a new device with a new set of bugs every couple of months.

I'm at a stage now where I expect my devices to work. Consistently. Reliably. No iPhone I've ever owned has rebooted every time it receives a call or text message, or deleted my entire inbox silently while it was on my hip. And to me, that's a very useful feature.

Does an awkwardly large 4 inch screen and animated wallpaper make me lust after other phones? Not really... And definitely not if there are kludges and workarounds I have to deal with.

I guess I've just outgrown the stage of wanting to spend time tweaking my phone to make it work properly, and just having a phone that... Works properly.

See above.

That doesn't bother me, because I'm not trying to make a social statement or coordinate fashion-wise with my phone. So, I don't think so much about what people think about me when I'm holding a phone in my hand. It frees me up to, you know... do actual things with my phone...

Not to mention that anyone worth actually respecting and associating with don't really care what smartphone you use. Their minds tend to be on things of actual substance.

Besides, around here the hipsters have rejected iPhones as too mainstream. Most of them would rather verbally browbeat you for hours about how they spent a week compiling a custom ROM for their android device, because they aren't gonna let some phone vendor or carrier tell them what interface to use, and your just a Sheeple consumer if you run a stock OS.

Or, the real hard core hipsters will use maemo or WebOS... Since no one else is using it.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You can just restore. And Apple CS is far from being anal about jailbreaking. Some people even bring their jailbroken iPhones to get looked at. CS would just usually restore first and if problem still exists they would have no problem honoring the warranty. I have never heard of anyone that had their warranty voided cause of jailbreaking. They probably won't help you if you refuse to restore though.

BTW .... I got a free replacement 11 days after my warranty already expired.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Look no point to go after the specs first. Yes they are nice but come on if you always are wanting to buy the next best thing you will always be waiting.

The Galaxy Nexus will not be top of the line by I say Feb. Mobile World Congress is in Feb or Jan and something better will be announced there.

Just like with computers something better comes along a few weeks later.
    Out dated is a phone that is say a year or so. An example of an out dated phone would be the iPhone 4, and really out dated would be the 3GS.

Also Jailbreaking (iPhone) just like rooting (android) does not violated warranty.

On Android it is when you unlock the boot loader than voids the warranty.
    Voiding the iPhone with software would require you installing some custom OS on it (aka not iOS)

21. shifturmind macrumors newbie

Meh, thats not really a big deal...

22. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

23. shifturmind macrumors newbie

No actually you don't. We are all entitled to our opinions. Its not like I am on here bashing the precious iphone (which I own) or ipad (which I own) or a macbook pro (also which I own).

Just because someone is new and has a view different than yours doesn't mean they are a troll, or wrong, or anything else. Grow up.

24. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Like I said "most" iPhone users. Clearly your not in that majority of people. I have been a long time apple user and I'm under no illusion about how great or bad the products they make are. I just understand that there are other products on the market that are cheaper and work better. I don't get why your saying that android phones are unstable as my wife's old phone never had one issue and worked a treat. Since I have had my 4S I have had numerous app shutdowns for no reason, issues with app store crashing, bad battery life, a couple of reboots and a few problems with imessage! That's not great for a 1 week old phone but hey "iPhones just work!" if your happy with your phone then that's fine but you sound like one of them guys who would buy anything and everything with a apple logo on it no matter what other better options are out there.

25. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I am sure I will probably get down voted for this. But to me, bragging about "performance" of a phone seems to me a lot like bragging about "performance" of a scooter. Really?