No, our freedom of speech isn't perfect...but Iran keeps it in persective

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sysiphus, Dec 5, 2009.

1. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

2. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

I can't believe this since Iranians without citizenship in Iran are prosecuted. :eek:

3. sysiphus thread starter macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

77 views and only one response? Wow.

I guess when I was looking at this, my feeling was that we'd be crazy to think Iran would have any interest in cooperating/making good with the West. Frankly, this stuff reminds me of East Germany back in the 80s.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There's not much to say. It's horrible, but not surprising. Theocracies are definitely a very bad thing.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I had a discussion with an Iranian dissident last week about this very thing. I was wondering if the security forces had used families as leverage and he said he hadn't. This morning, he sent me this article and similar translated ones.

It's unfortunate and not all that surprising. We discussed how Twitter and other social networking systems were used to track and identify dissidents in Iran during the "Green Revolution" and now they're increasing their reach.

Of course, we should be cautious in our criticism: the US has similar capabilities through the NSA, but thus far chooses not to use them.

7. sysiphus thread starter macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

On the contrary. The bigger stink is made about this sort of thing, the less likely it'll be acceptable/accepted here. If you're looking at it from a hypocrisy angle--heck, most Western countries probably have the infrastructure to make this work. It is the act of doing so that separates the Iranians from us.

Edit: Just saw this. So long as the current regime is in power, I see no reason for this to get any better...and by extension, no reason to expect any better cooperation with the West.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Pretty much sums it up.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well considering that one of the 4 candidates in Iran's recent presidential election is on Interpol's "wanted" list for involvement in a terrorist bombing in Argentina, why would anybody be surprised to learn they have overseas operations?

They're certainly not the only country that has covert operations underway

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I should have written circumspect, rather than pretending that it's some strange artifact of the Iranian government, we should acknowledge that the means exists for as well.