No point in queuing if you want to buy sim free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 13, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I want the new Iphone 5 but no point in queuing at the shop. I went through a few days after the launch of the 4S last year and the Apple store had them in but would only sell to contract users. So realistically I have to pre order sim free online. :rolleyes:

2. sixteen12 macrumors regular

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

UK.

Same in independent phone stores they only wan to sell you iphone on contract been that way since the 3GS.

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

Be interesting to see whether Apple persists in advertising in the UK as "4G" given that there are no networks in the UK that support the iPhone 5 4G frequency in the UK. Another snafu like the iPad 3? Deceptive advertising lawsuits?

5. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

What is "sim free"? CDMA phones without any sim? It will be high on demand for sure.

6. damov2 macrumors regular

ee?

7. sixteen12 macrumors regular

Yeah, its always like that in Canada for major phone releases, except the iPhone. Apple will sell you contract free no problem so long as they have them in stock.

8. AtomicEdge macrumors regular

In the UK all phones use SIM cards, so the Term "SIM Free" implies that it is not locked to any network, and purchased directly from Apple.

I'm not sure if that is even possible in the US.

9. Deako macrumors 6502

Apart from Everything Everywhere (Orange/T-Mobile). The other spectrums being auctioned by Ofcom (2600&800Mhz) dont look to be supported by the phone. Great.

10. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Why would Apple care if the phone is sold on a contract or not?

12. Deako macrumors 6502

Three only got 2x 15Mhz according to a story i read. Is that really enough to launch a fully fledged 4G network on the 1800Mhz spectrum?

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Apple don't but the networks do. The employee earns more commission selling it on contract than that of pay as you go.

I've even had shops bare face lie when finding out I want it on payg from sorry the computers are down to all of a sudden it's gone from in stock to out of stock.

When I walked round to another shop in that chain I successfully bought an iPhone and The employee looked confused when I asked if their systems had been down a few minutes ago !

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Yeah sorry. I quoted his second post but was referring to his original post about Apple stores turning him away.

15. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

People were selling 4S upgrades in the ad paper about £50 less but it was the wrong network.

As the Iphone 5 is a big change no doubt people will ask for too much for them on ebay ect.. :eek:

16. Idefix macrumors 6502

Turns out that big UK cities may be in luck, with a planned roll-out in 17 cities by the end of the year:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3381055

17. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

The quote wasn't as to whether or not a fully fledged network could be made, but rather around the legal ramifications of advertising it as 4G like they did with the iPad.

EE and Three will be able to offer LTE service to the iPhone 5 as they have purchased operating space in the 1800Mhz range.

At the moment Vodafone and O2 won't be able to offer in that region even when OFCOM start to auction it off

Bit more reading here

18. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Can you preorder and pickup instore for an outright purchase in USA?

19. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I am extremely disappointed that they will not sell a non contracted phone. I am willing to pay $975 (just like I did last year with 4s) and they will only sell to contracted customers. I am on an employee plan and NEVER have an upgrade.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

20. icebergx macrumors regular

Any idea if purchasing the phone "out of contract" by the end of October?
    I'll be in the US at that time and would like to buy one unlocked, that I can bring back to use in Europe.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

If last year is any indication, the official unlocked models will be out in a month or so. However, if you go into an Apple retail store and purchase an AT&T version at full price, it will be unlocked. Note that the AT&T versions do not support EU LTE frequencies. The Verizon versions do, but they are locked to Verizon.

22. icebergx macrumors regular

Hmmm... no point in getting AT&T iPhone5 if one of it's key features, LTE, won't be usable in Europe. Any way to buy a verizon phone for "full price" and getting them to unlock it?

23. KPOM, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

I believe if you are a customer of Sprint or Verizon after 90 days or so they will unlock the SIM slot, but only for non-US SIM cards. I don't know if you can buy a phone off contract from them and get the unlock like you can with AT&T, so Europeans looking to take advantage of our relatively lower prices may be out of luck unless they are OK with just having HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA support.

As for me, I mainly go with unlocked phones since I go overseas 1-2 times per year and don't want to pay $1.29/minute to call home. AT&T will actually sell 125MB of data for about $50 (or larger packages), which is enough to check e-mail on a weeklong trip, but I usually buy a €10-20 prepaid SIM if I can get a 500MB package along with a €0.10/minute voice plan (quite common among EU carriers). That gives me enough to check e-mail and access the web as much as I want during my trip and save the data. Perhaps it all works out even, but it's more the principle of the thing.