No post about unions getting special backyard deals?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What is this ******** about unions being exempt until 2017? Seriously? If this is supposed to lower costs for all there is no reason to exempt all union works (aka vote for me). Explain, discuss.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Perhaps you could provide a link as a jumping off point for discussion, rather than vague right wing talking points about the evil unions?

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It stinks like 2 week old fish. These sweatheart deals (Landrieu, Nelson, Unions, etc.) are nothing short of outright bribery, and the Democrats are being so blatant about them. I hope they come back to haunt the Democrats in the November elections.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This pile of **** plan keeps smelling worse every day.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like the unions were looking out for their interest, same as any lobbying organization. I don't recall conservative outrage when energy companie were cutting still-secret deals with the Bush WH. Or the massive influence the health care industry has had with their army of lobbyists and million plus per day they've dropped to influence the debate. Sounds like one of those double standards cons are so agains this week.

Sure would be nice to curb the power of lobbyists though, wouldn't it?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes it would. Didn't President Obama promise to do that?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yes, we always know to take a politician at their word. They would never lie to us.:rolleyes:

I guess getting votes for the party are more important than the people.

9. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Y'know after Enron, Halliburton and Blackwater, I can't find it in me to care that much.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is this deal affects every american.

11. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

What doesn't affect every American? When are we going to have a decision come out of Washington that affects, oh, left-handed Episcopalians exclusively?

Again, wake me when you have something important to bitch about. Unions cutting a sweet deal? Yawnski. And I don't even belong to a union.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why should anybody be getting sweetheart deals. I should not have to pay more for insurance because I am not in a union.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, let's see... Considering the starting point is secret meetings where we don't even know what the he'll kind of deals were cut, I'd say he's made an improvement. Is it perfect? Nope but you'd rather criticize for not acheiving perfection, despite not being concerned what deals were cut under Bush.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How can you call this a improvement. The whole bill is crap and keeps getting worse.

Obama said no lobbyist or sweetheart deals at all. How can he yell at the banks for sweetheart deals and then cut one with the unions.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you not remember the energy task force meetings?

Personally I'd prefer no deals, just a straight single-payer system. And I agree, this bill is crap; the product of far to much conservative corporate cash. But all I hear from the right is how awful unions are for their effective lobbying, yet nothing from them about how awful the health care corporations are for being even more effective than the unions at lobbying.

Let's not forget that the health care industry has managed to cut backroom deals to kill the public option and Medicare buy-in, not to mention managed to score a mandate to buy their product with no price control mechanism. That's a hell of a lot better deal than anything the unions ever dreamed of. Cutting this deal to put off paying the Cadillac tax is small potatoes compared to the wealth the health care corporations just managed to transfer to thmselves.

But rest assured, conservatives will once again get their priorities all wrong because they simply despise unions.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see how costs will be cut when the price to pay for this system keeps going up. Where is the relief, insurance companies will keep getting richer and the people that really need insurance will still be left out. Everyone has to pay their fair share into the system for this to work. We can't be giving select people lower rates and then expect everyone else to pick up the tab.

If everyone was paying an equal amount this system would work.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is everyone paying an equal amount now?

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most people don't even have insurance and those that do are paying way to much.

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Single payer does all these things.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What? Last I heard, we had about 50 million uninsured in this country, and some 300 million people. By no stretch does 50 million count as "most" of 300 million.

And second, you're dodging the question: Does everyone pay an equal amount for healthcare now?

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If we have 300 million people the number has to be higher then 50 million uninsured. I haven't seen the numbers but that seems low. No people do not pay an equal amount. And what they do pay still doesn't cover anything. So the questions is where is the money going. If I pay 400 a month and then still don't get covered what happened to my money.

If 250 million are insured and lets say they pay on average 500 a month, why are people not being covered? There should be enough money to go around.

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

If you are denied coverage then 1) That's bad and should be fixed and 2) it's because they haven't deemed your treatment "cost effective" or some BS so they deny it.

If you just didn't need coverage then that's how insurance works of course. ;)

The uncovered number is about 50 million from what I've heard. Though I wonder what it would be if we counted people with REALLY bad plans that are almost like having no insurance.

23. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes, bring up the past because as long as we hop along the bar of failure we must be succeeding right? Where the hell did the American spirit go?

24. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When the hell is everyone going to learn that we cannot win this battle by looking out for our own interests? ****ing ****, I am a libertarian and I am willing to work with you guys to get health care system that functions properly, yet you keep plugging away at these ******** deals to gain money for next election. **** unions, **** the democratic party, and **** the president for allowing this **** to go on after promising not to.

Change indeed.

25. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When your side's bastardized corporate welfare plan goes through i will not pay a dime, Id rather go to jail, better yet ill probably be out of country by that time.