No Pre-Orders for Full Price iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachnelson, Sep 11, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Is it true that in the past there have been no pre-orders for full price iPhones?

[​IMG]

2. articulatefool macrumors regular

Why does it mater if you pre-order?

Give them money now, or give them money when you order the phone on release day.... Makes no difference.

3. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want my phone on release day.

I'd rather not order on release day, wait 3-4 weeks to ship and another week to deliver.

4. articulatefool macrumors regular

Ah, I didn't realize they shipped pre-orders early.

Carry-on.

5. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

This could give me an excuse to go wait in line at the Apple store though...

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

In the past, yes.

In the future - check back on Wed.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Slight distinction here. In previous years at pre-order on Apple.com, you only got the full price option if you don't qualify for a full subsidy or partial subsidy.

There was no option to pre-order at full price directly. Unlocked, SIM-Free was not an option here in the USA.

Dave

8. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Bingo

9. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

10. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

This would be my first pre order at full price. After reading this, it looks like you can't preorder on Apple.com? What would be the best way to get it early? I've always got to pre order.

Thanks, Jerry

11. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

12. articulatefool macrumors regular

The line at the Apple store is likely the only way to get the phone on release day at full price.

13. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does Verizon ever have devices in store on release day?

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint will all have an inventory on launch day. They just might not have the color/storage combination you are looking for or in most cases they will not sell initial devices without a contract to you when they have a line of customers waiting to lock into a new two year contract.... :eek:

Dave

15. KPOM macrumors G5

You may be able to order from AT&T's website at full price. However, it will be locked to AT&T, so you'll need to go through the added step of contacting AT&T when you receive it to unlock it. They finally do that now for out-of-contract and no-commitment pricing phones.

16. articulatefool macrumors regular

But only those with an AT&T account can contact customer service/tech support to get this process started.

A neat catch-22...

Just save the trouble and take a trip to the Apple store.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

I have an AT&T account. I'm looking into the order from AT&T route and did a dry run with a 4S today. AT&T's website (even when you search for "no-commitment phones") tells people to log in and go to the "Upgrade My Phone" link, but that just takes you to the discounted models. What worked in the dry run was going straight to the web site without logging in, searching for the phone, adding it to the cart (selecting the no-commitment option), and then logging in.

18. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Thanks! So, if I stay with AT&T, then I don't need to get it unlocked, right?

Jerry

19. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but getting it unlocked will let you use it on T-Mobile or with foreign SIM cards. If you don't need that, then just get the subsidized version and have the phone unlocked when your contract is up.

20. articulatefool macrumors regular

The 1st problem is the purchase; the 2nd is the unlock.

No account = no customer service rep will open a ticket = no tech support = no live chat = no unlocked iPhone no matter how much you paid for it.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

For a non-customer, when you click on the link above, you need to type in the IMEI, first name, last name, and e-mail address, and select where you bought the phone (Apple Store, AT&T, AT&T authorized seller).

22. articulatefool macrumors regular

I have personal experience trying to do this. They wouldn't talk to me because I don't have an account. They could care less that I had a receipt ready to send over.

I bought a co-worker lunch to open a support ticket under his account to get it unlocked.

23. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Is this for paying full price on a carrier phone or to purchase an unlocked phone? I am hoping to preorder an unlocked iPhone when they go on preorder.

24. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Sorry, a bit confused!! If I have AT&T and want to stay with them and not get it unlocked and have to pay the full subsidized price, I still can't pre-order from apple.com right? Maybe i can from AT&T website!!

Thanks, Jerry

25. dave006 macrumors 68020

Again. Don't expect Apple or any carrier in the US to off you an unlocked iPhone during pre-order.

Dave

----------

No, you just order from Apple.com, the sysem will determine the price that you pay. If it is full price, then you have the option to purchase at that price.

So if you are an existing AT&T, Verizon or Sprint customer you can pre-order from Apple or from your carrier.

Dave