No pre-orders on the 5S - what's your plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Sep 10, 2013.

?

If you're getting a 5S, how will you purchase it?

1. Ordering online on Sept. 20

181 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Going in person to Apple or Carrier store on Sept 20

147 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. "Camping out" before Sept 20

27 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. Waiting until the hype settles or not in a hurry

80 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

If you are getting it, what is your plan of attack to get the 5S? With no preorders it is certainly different than other launches.

2. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I plan on ordering it on the 20th from the Apple website. No waiting in lines here.

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

4. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I wonder since there is no preorder that apple is confident in its supply.

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I won't wait in line! I did that before and won't do it again. It's a mad house at the apple store on product launch days. I'll just watch youtube unboxing videos till I get mine 5s. :D

6. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

I'm almost considering just biting the bullet and pre-ordering a 32GB 5C for the same price...

To deal with what may be a hassle or not deal with the hassle....Decisions...Decisions

7. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I'm still trying to decide... When I got my 4S I preordered online from AT&T but not fast enough so it wasn't going to ship till 1-2 weeks after launch day. I went into the AT&T store around 3 pm on launch day and walked out with a 4S... so I'm not really sure if I'm going to try to do that again or if I'll order online through apple.com on the 20th.
    I am planning to get a 64 GB this time. In the past, have those sold out before or after the 16 GB?

8. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

I need the phone on day 1, so:

Plan A - purchase online at midnight on 9/20 ONLY if I can pick it up at an Apple store the same day.

Plan B - if above plan is not an option, call off work and wait in line a couple of hours before 8:00 am:(

9. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I've heard that up here in Canada, consumers have been able to walk into an Apple store and purchase an unlocked iPhone on launch day since most people buy the contract phones. So that's my plan of attack (yes, I was planning to buy an unlocked iPhone anyway).

They don't sell unlocked iPhones on launch day in the states, right?

10. SluGuru macrumors regular

I was going to pre-order as well. My problem is the account is under my wife's name. She will not be able to go to the store. I am an authorized user and can do most things with the ATT account. Does anyone know if I will be able to go to the Apple Store or the ATT store and upgrade our three phones even if I am not the main person on the account? What info would I need to provide?

11. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

With no 5S pre-orders. I would hope they will be unlocked @ the Apple Stores. If your in the GTA area. Expect HUGE lines on the 20th at all Apple Stores.

12. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

They will be unlocked. It says so on the website.

I know there will be huge lines, but do you know about how many unlocked iPhones are usually available in the Apple stores on launch day?

13. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Ive waited in line for the 4S and 5 @ the Burlington, Ontario store.

The 4S had over 200ppl in line plus the ppl threw the day. Don't think they ran out.

ALot of ppl pre-ordered the 5 last year since you could not get an unlocked one in store. Line was smaller but still big.

14. F4FFF macrumors newbie

I am going to order online from telus on 20th as soon as it starts. I wish I could just walk in the store and get it (i dont mind standing in line, i have day off anyways) but i am on corporate plan so i will have to order online to get my 250$ bonus.

Pre-orders would have made it so much easier.

15. Roller macrumors 68020

I have to buy through AT&T because of the corporate discount I get, so it's either going to be waiting in line on launch day (probably not an option, as I have to be at work early), order online, or wait a few days. As I recall from the 3GS launch a few years ago the highest memory iPhone was easier to get than the ones with less. I'll probably pre-order a case, though. After carrying my last two iPhones in my pocket, I think I'm going back to a belt case/holster.

16. Rolosean macrumors newbie

Been a long-time reader...finally joined the forums.

I'd like to order the 5S online, but the real question is, at what time on the 20th will online orders start? 12 AM EST or PST? I imagine there will be heavy demand.

17. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

From my last pre-orders (ipad/iphone4)It's usually pacific, which i hate since i'm on the east coast.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I waited overnight at my local Apple store for the iPhone 4. While fun, I won't ever do it again. I'll just order online and wait for it to be delivered.

19. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

What time do the stores typically open on launch day?

20. gloryunited macrumors 6502

Meanwhile in Hong Kong, we have a 5th option: iDraw.

Submit your "reservation" on the 17th and if you're lucky, you're allowed to go buy one in person on the 20th! :rolleyes:

Well it's not actually the 5th option as we don't have the camping option here since the 4S launch. No walk-in purchases available.

Good or bad? I dunno.

21. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Just wake up early on the 20th and order online from the apple store. If I have to wait a couple weeks, so be it. Don't want to deal with the crazy hassle of Apple Stores on iPhone launch day.

22. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

But that whole reservation system was to fend off the hordes of scalpers who would stand in line. Now that there's a simultaneous launch in China, the number of scalpers will decrease dramatically.

23. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I am also going to hit Apple website at midnight ... Call Tmobile as I am literally their longest US customer. I was with PowerTel & Voicestream who they bought when they came in the US market.

Plus have a few tricks up my sleeve that I can't reveal to the masses here.

24. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I'll probably just order online. Im not doing the whole "waiting in line" thing. It's not that serious. I rather just have the phone delivered to me. And there's a chance the local VZW store in my area will have some in stock. They never get lines for iPhone launches. The didn't for the 4s or 5 launch

25. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Simple-call and ask.