No Real ID needed for ammo purchases? California justice department contradicts Newsom

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article231938023.html?fbclid=IwAR1Jx2B3TLfQKxpbxsbEDpCBFgkyrIeP2bg-INFi8SjSVOJzb60sVKK3xz4
While touting California’s gun control policies, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Tuesday that residents would need Real IDs or equivalent documents to buy ammunition next month.

Minutes later, the California Department of Justice contradicted him, clarifying that there would be no Real ID requirement as part of new firearm and ammunition regulations taking effect July 1.

The mixed messages are adding to the confusion and frustration California gun owners and advocacy groups have expressed in recent weeks as they try to navigate new regulations they first learned about earlier this month
STUPID politicians don't know the laws they pass,, news at 11.......

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
“The only licenses that would not be acceptable are ones that say “federal limits apply,” such as licenses for undocumented immigrants that are authorized under a 2013 California law.”

How are they “undocumented immigrants” if they are carrying a document that says they are????

Also let the idea sink in, you trust them enough to legally get behind the wheel of a multi-ton machine but not enough to by ammunition???

I am glad I don’t live in California.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
“The only licenses that would not be acceptable are ones that say “federal limits apply,” such as licenses for undocumented immigrants that are authorized under a 2013 California law.”

How are they “undocumented immigrants” if they are carrying a document that says they are????

Also let the idea sink in, you trust them enough to legally get behind the wheel of a multi-ton machine but not enough to by ammunition???

Even some legal residents might not have weapon rights in some countries, but they can drive. So it is not something strange.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Do you not have to take a driving test, have insurance and register every vehicle on the roads in the United States then? Surely it’s a heavily regulated industry and key to keeping the country going whereas a gun is a deadly weapon with no key value hence why monitoring people’s ammunition purchasing should be an aspect of particular interest.

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party

Far too many of our lawmakers out here are a source of horrifying amusement. :eek:

Reactions: jkcerda

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
Do you not have to take a driving test, have insurance and register every vehicle on the roads in the United States then? Surely it’s a heavily regulated industry and key to keeping the country going whereas a gun is a deadly weapon with no key value hence why monitoring people’s ammunition purchasing should be an aspect of particular interest.
The new law is pathetic and an infringement. I hope it gets reversed ASAP.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I would be more worried about the gun owners who don't buy ammo. That pretty tells me someone ain't going to the range and practicing shooting. I can think of few things in the world more dangerous than an incompetent with a gun. Even a madman with a gun is only a danger to his intended targets. Someone unqualified to use handle a gun is a danger to EVERYONE in the area, including himself.
Making it harder for gun owners to buying ammo is will lead them stop to practicing how to operate a gun safely. As with most things, practice makes perfect.

Reactions: decafjava

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
If I walk into the DMV and I am doing something illegal or I have a warrant the DMV doesn't give me a licence or ID they call the police and I get arrested so why it different for someone that is here illegally?
[doublepost=1561582513][/doublepost]
Even some legal residents might not have weapon rights in some countries, but they can drive. So it is not something strange.
Well if you have done something so heinous that you have lost your Constitutional Rights I don't feel you should have the privilege of a drivers license. Of course that is just my opinion.

Edit: I re-read what you typed and don't know of any cases if you are a resident of the United States you do have the Right to own a Firearm?

Last edited:

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
Well if you have done something so heinous that you have lost your Constitutional Rights I don't feel you should have the privilege of a drivers license. Of course that is just my opinion.

Edit: I re-read what you typed and don't know of any cases if you are a resident of the United States you do have the Right to own a Firearm?
Did you miss the "some countries" part?

Last edited by a moderator:

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Laws are meant to be broken. They can’t track what you make yourself. RCBS pro 2000
Does CA track component sales?

I'm asking that legitimately as I haven't looked in to that.

It's been a few years since I've mail ordered bullets(I cast most of my own now, and deal directly with a local commercial caster for what I don't) but I know Missouri Bullet and others know how to really stretch the limits of what flat rate boxes allow-my mail lady once commented that I was the only person on her route who got medium flat rate boxes that weighed 70lbs and joked about how I must be ordering lead bricks...I told her that she wasn't far off :) . I've never bought powders or primer through mail order, so haven't paid too much attention to what has to be followed on that-I think air is a big no-no for primers, although couldn't swear to it.

In any case, it's been probably 5 years since I even bought a box of commercial ammo-that was at a new indoor range that advertised cheap prices, but when I got there I found out that they required me to buy their own over-priced range ammo(which was all headstamped Herters, so they were buying it in bulk from Cabelas). They also wouldn't let me keep any of my brass-not even on my 38 Super which they grudgingly let me use my own ammo with since they didn't have any in stock(I didn't shoot it that day since Super brass is too valuable to waste, and I lose enough anyway at the ranges that do let me sweep). Needless to say that nice, shiny, cheap range didn't last long...

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

It's been a few years since I've mail ordered bullets(I cast most of my own now, and deal directly with a local commercial caster for what I don't) but I know Missouri Bullet and others know how to really stretch the limits of what flat rate boxes allow-my mail lady once commented that I was the only person on her route who got medium flat rate boxes that weighed 70lbs and joked about how I must be ordering lead bricks...I told her that she wasn't far off :) . I've never bought powders or primer through mail order, so haven't paid too much attention to what has to be followed on that-I think air is a big no-no for primers, although couldn't swear to it.

In any case, it's been probably 5 years since I even bought a box of commercial ammo-that was at a new indoor range that advertised cheap prices, but when I got there I found out that they required me to buy their own over-priced range ammo(which was all headstamped Herters, so they were buying it in bulk from Cabelas). They also wouldn't let me keep any of my brass-not even on my 38 Super which they grudgingly let me use my own ammo with since they didn't have any in stock(I didn't shoot it that day since Super brass is too valuable to waste, and I lose enough anyway at the ranges that do let me sweep). Needless to say that nice, shiny, cheap range didn't last long...
Not sure. I’ll find out next time I go stock up

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I've been buying from a reloader I've known for maybe 18 years now. Never had an issue. Reloads look and fire better than commercial crap. They even make 22 rounds. They look so adorable outside of their brass.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage

They make some pretty light weight brass catchers for handguns that don’t completely obscure your site picture these days. Sure they can throw your aim off a little and won’t work in most cases when running drills but if you are just plinking it makes it much easier than hunting for all your brass at the end of a long range day.

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
They make some pretty light weight brass catchers for handguns that don’t completely obscure your site picture these days. Sure they can throw your aim off a little and won’t work in most cases when running drills but if you are just plinking it makes it much easier than hunting for all your brass at the end of a long range day.
In all honesty, the Super(1911 platform) is the only semi-auto I regularly shoot, but I'll look into one for it. That would make life a lot easier, especially for the times when I'm shooting in a field or somewhere else that makes hunting brass difficult.

With that said, the particular range I was at wouldn't let me keep my revolver brass(38 special, 44 magnum)-and they watched me to make sure I dumped it on the floor and not into my bag when I emptied the gun.

It was honestly the most bizarre place I've ever shot, and I'm glad I only paid for a half hour of range time(of which I used about 20 minutes).

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Gourd City
With that said, the particular range I was at wouldn't let me keep my revolver brass(38 special, 44 magnum)-and they watched me to make sure I dumped it on the floor and not into my bag when I emptied the gun.
Do you know what the policy was, for them to be so eagle-eyed? Was it stated as a safety concern, or was it just a tacit extortion ("All your brass are belong to us").