Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccerfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Looking at an educational PowerBook and have been waiting for the

Can I assume that the iPod deal is IT? Anyone expect any MORE offers to come before classes start?

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
soccerfan said:

Can I assume that the iPod deal is IT? Anyone expect any MORE offers to come before classes start?

Seems to me like the iPod deal is good enough.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Nope I think this is the only deal you'll be seeing for a while, at least you usually can't combine deals so grab it while you can.

Of course this kind of deal in the past has foreshadowed the release of a new generation iPod, so do you want to save $200 or get the next gen model?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
soccerfan said:

I would jump all over this deal. Excellent products at an unbelievable price!! :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As always:

Computers will always be faster and/or cheaper and/or smaller and/or have more capabilities in the future. Whatever you buy will be out-of-date sometime. This is known.

That said, wait until you just gotta have one, and, if what you can get suits your needs and had a price you consider to be reasonable, buy it and don't look back. Stay away from Apple's site and from ads for a while. Assume that the day after you buy it they'll drop the price and/or upgrade it and/or replace it. Just enjoy your new purchase. My older Macs are as fun, in most ways, as my newest one, and my newest one is now almost 10 months old.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I'd say that you aren't going to see any better deal between here and when you need to order to be sure to have your new 'Book ready for school.

Of course Apple could surprise us all and drop a G5 Powerbook and revamped 4th gen iPod tomorrow, because you never can really predict product releases....but of course, the reason it would be a surprise is that it's so highly unlikely. :D

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Would it also be safe to assume that with the current iPod + PB deal going on in the US that there would NOT be any more revisions (e.g., higher screen resolutions) to the PBs, at least for a few months?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ozone said:
Would it also be safe to assume that with the current iPod + PB deal going on in the US that there would NOT be any more revisions (e.g., higher screen resolutions) to the PBs, at least for a few months?

The expiration of the promo is 9/25/2004. If memory serves me, the rev. B Powerbooks were announced late September of last year. So it would appear that the promo will most likely expire before any new introductions of iBook's and PB's.

That being said, there is interesting wording in the fine print. Only a handful of SKU's were mentioned by number.

QUALIFYING PRODUCTS: Any Apple PowerBook or iBook computer (except M9427LL/A iBook 1GHz/CD-ROM and Z0A8 iBook CD-ROM Configure-to-Order) and any Apple iPod (except iPod mini M9434LL/A, M9435LL/A, M9436LL/A, M9437LL/A, and M9160LL/A).

There may be a couple reasons for this. One is that Apple is said to be bringing the Apple Retail stores a few models that are not currently available except through BTO (the long rumored iBook 14" with the SDD, and a "rumor" that an Apple Retail store mentioned about a ready to go PB 15" with 1gb RAM and I believe a 80gb 5200 rpm drive). By not listing specific models they have greater flexibility to meet demand without "taxing" the BTO process. And have those that want instant gratification walk out with what they want.

The other is that if new laptops were announced before the expiration of the promo (by a matter of a week or two) the stores would not have to deal with "make good" or "goodwill" arrangements.

So one can play the waiting game till the very end. But then one might loose out on the iPod of choice, or the system of choice. Becuase of this fine print:

This offer is valid only while supplies of qualifying products last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.