Resolved No ringtone tab in itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HarryJS, Jan 31, 2018.

1. HarryJS, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018

HarryJS macrumors newbie

i downloaded a ringtone app got a couple of ringtones i like .. watched the install on "you tube" but when i started to install i noticed that my iTunes doesn't have a ringtone tab in the sidebar...?
    Descargar Dime Si Te Acuerdas – Bad Bunny Tono De Llamada

2. nieks macrumors 6502

nieks

No it has been deleted by Apple in the latest software update for iTunes. You no longer manage your ringtones through iTunes. This happened in September 2017. Sorry!

3. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

I guess then I must have some "secret" version of iTunes because my iTunes version (12.7.3.46) clearly shows "Tones" in the sidebar when I click on my iPhone 7+ or my wife's 6s+.

4. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

iTunes used to have a “tones” section in the sidebar even without an iPhone plugged in. There used to be an iTunes “tones” section, as well as a “tones” section when you expand your device under devices. The only time you’ll see “tones” listed now is when you plug in your iPhone which is just showing you the tones currently on your iPhone.

5. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

That's true but you can still drag and drop ringtones on your Mac to your iPhone that way. So what's the difference in the management of those tones and iTunes?

6. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

The only difference I see is that before the iTunes “tones” was removed, it was an easier way to re-add tones to your phone or if you were to set up a new iPhone using iTunes, you could just add the tones to your phone right from within iTunes. It was a little easier than locating the folder they’re stored in and dragging them into iTunes. Either way works and as long as I can get the tones on my phone one way or another, that’s all I care about.

7. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

Another suggestion regarding ringtones and managing apps that iTunes formely did, is to use a third party application. I purchased "iMazing 2" and now use it to manage apps, ringtones, and backups. The Macworld Magazine store had it on sale for awhile but even at the regular price it's well worth having.

8. Allin44 macrumors 6502