No sales tax ( shipping to NJ and buying in NJ) ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RICARDOVASCO, Mar 27, 2012.

1. RICARDOVASCO macrumors regular

Hi there. Im going to NYC tomorrow and will buy a MBP 17" from B&H. I would buy and ship it to a NJ adress so I didn't need to pay sales tax. However I don't know anyone who lives there. Do you guys know if I buy this computer in a NJ store I also don't need to pay sales tax?

Regards
    Ricardo

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you buy it in any physical store, you have to pay tax.

3. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks r.j.s! Do you know how much is that in NJ? Is there any store with good prices?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

NJ is 7% sales tax.

5. antseg macrumors member

It's 7% here (EDIT: Beat to it). I mean with bus fare and such your costs are going to add up to the difference in sales tax. Depending on you want, you can go to a Microcenter here and see. They usually have the base macbook pro for a decent price.

Incidentally, my uncle does the whole B&H->NJ thing with us. It's a fun way to save money.

6. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. If I could ship to NJ I should save almost 500 usd buying from B&H ( internet way). I mean, the MBP 17" costs 2.259usd in B&H against 2.500 usd in Apple ( 240 usd lower) + NY sales tax ( 200 usd) = 440 usd. Damn! LOL

7. bperrella macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Delaware is a short drive away no sales tax there at all. Or buy on amazon!

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Amazon charges tax now

9. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Amazon charges now.

Delaware is a little far. I think the best choice is buying from B&H phisical store. Not sure if the phisical store has the same price from B&H internet store.

Do you guys know?

By the way, could you guys tell me how a 15"MBP can be more expensive than a 17" ?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827027-REG/Apple_MD311LL_A_17_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827255-REG/Apple_Z0NM_0001_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

Not sure if the 15"one has some better components.

10. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

the 15" has the upgraded resolution display and the quicker rpm HDD.

11. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Ohrstrom! Which one would you buy? I mean, I'd like to buy a 17" but if the 15"upgraded is faster and better for graphics I can consider that.

12. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I just bought my second 17" from them - $2,259 , free shipping, no tax (I'm in KY), and free Parallels 7.

Best Buy had it on special for $2,359 , Tax, and no free software. - They wouldn't do a price beat.

13. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Well Ive only had a 13" so far. The 17" is tad to big for my taste. and Id be getting an SSD instead of just a 7200 drive. The 15" might be slightly faster because of the drive and a higher resolution compared to screen size since it has the upgraded resolution, not sure.

My pick will be the standard 15" and then buy ram and an SSD on my own :) But your 15" there isnt the standard, its the expensive standard with a better drive it looks like. Id probably choose the 17" and then buy ram and an SSD separate between those too, feels like I could get more for my money that way.

Hard for me to say what is your best option. I wouldnt want to pay for a 7200 drive though, thats money wasted since Im planning for an SSD.

14. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Nice ron1004! Damn, I really don't want to pay 200 usd for sales tax! I can almost pay for the Ipod Classic 160gb which I need to buy as well ; )

15. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Ohrstrom! Im a newbie about these specifications so whats the big difference from the 5400.. 7200 Sata to SSD ones? I mean, the 256gb SSD sata II costs 250 usd but have not so much space as the 750 gb 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm. I would have to buy at least the 512 SSD which costs 600-900 usd. What is the big deal about the SSD?

16. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Well, the difference between 5400 and 7200 is rpm, rotations per minute I believe it stands for. 7200 is a bit quicker, how much Im not able to judge. SSD's however are a different technology, and costs a bit more now that its still fairly new. Alot of people who have switched from regular hdd's to ssd's claim the improvement in "response" is faboulous. The write speed and read speed and access times are vastly improved. It wont increase your framerate in games but it will improve loading times and it will make things happen in a flash in the regular day to day use of the computer (by words of other people)

If in your shoes, and 15" or 17" is equally fine I would choose that 17" and save up to replace the HDD with an SSD later on when they have become more attainable. You should not get the SSD directly from Apple because their prices are almost a slap in the customers face.

EDIT: Also, theres something called optibay/drivecaddy, if you dont have real use for an internal cd/dvd you can replace it with a drivecaddy and mount your old hdd there, and put a new ssd where the original hdd was, and then youll have two drives, more room and can migrate your system, or install fresh on the ssd... This is something I also consider, however Im waiting for the new release and well, I dont know if there will be a cd/dvd on it yet.

17. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just sign in as a student and you get $200 off...order it and pick it up at the store.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

B&H is a good option.

No sales tax and they have student pricing on top of their good prices.

Another good store is Macmall.

19. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all!
    However, B&H charges sales tax. How to buy as student? Im not student anymore. Is there any way to buy like that in B&H? Definitely I should buy from B&H for sure. Macmall and Macconnection don't accept selling products for foreign people. They only accept US creditcard.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, B&H charges sales tax to those in New York State. If you're not a student anymore, then you can't buy as a student. I don't know what the last part means, about the foreign credit card.